Questions about Teach Now (PsyGuy please help me)

Smoko

Re: Questions about Teach Now (PsyGuy please help me)

Post by Smoko »

Boomba wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Late reply but I wonder what you mean about the PRAXIS results and how the
> results can affect my entry in Teach Now. Do they have to know that I
> took/tried them??

When I booked my Praxis tests, I had to select which institution I was attending so that they could automatically send the results to them. At the end of my exam the computer gave me an option to withdraw and not have my scores sent to Teach-Now, so I suppose if you are 100% sure you failed then you could select this option. Obviously the risk is if you end up passing then you've just thrown the test away unnecessarily.

> I assume that PRAXIS tests can be taken as often as one needs?

Yes, but you have to wait 21 days per attempt.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Great! Thank you! :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

You can take the PRAXIS as many times as you want (21 day waiting period between exams) but an EPP/ITT provider such as Teach Now, need not keep you forever.

EPP/ITT provides are evaluated for their effectiveness. The regulatory authority wants to ensure that its candidates are adequately prepared and capable in the classroom and that the EPP/ITT provider isnt just taking coin. The EPP/ITT providers are measure this effectiveness based on two factors program completer and the assessment (PRAXIS) pass rate. The pass rate is really important, every time you take the exam and fail its adding an attempt without a completer, this lowers their performance standard. Too low of a performance standard and bad things happen, like being on monitoring and getting put on notice to improve. Fail to improve or lower the measure even more and you lose your status to recommend candidates for a credential, thats bad, that puts the provider out of business. Fail too many times and Teach Now will drop you from the program, and you dont get a refund. Further those fails will follow you around. Thats why you dont want to take the exam just to feel it out, its fine if you pass, but if you dont youre now asking Teach Now to take you and your fails on as part of their performance measure.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Hi Boomba, I am a graduate of Teach Now (and I highly recommend it for licensure). Don't take the exams before you enroll. The program will walk you through all of this, including options for exemption from some of the Praxis exams, there is a suggested schedule, one-on-one sessions with placement coordinators, etc.

PsyGuy is full of shit and at least half of the stuff I read him post about Teach Now is bad info that he clearly read online, as anyone with access to Google can do. The support staff at TN is lovely and I encourage you to reach out to Andres Barnes, the client relations manager, directly by email and ask him your questions. His job is literally to talk to prospective students like you and answer these questions...accurately...and he was so helpful for me before and during the program. You can find his email on the TN website (am not sure if I'm allowed to post it here...)

Once you are enrolled with TN, you should join the Facebook group "TEACH-NOW Cohorts Community" full of current and former students, and TONS of info about Praxis PLT and subject specific exams, study tips and materials, etc. It's a great community, and super super helpful! Get your info straight from the source and current/former students ;-)
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Yet @s0830887 is agreeing with me.
Bunk. Everything I have discussed about Teach Now is accurate.
@s0830887 "lovely" experience with Teach Now is one experience, that is not the only experience.
Andres Barnes is a sales person, that their job to make everything sound awesome. Their opinions are no more accurate and authoritative then they think they are, they are not an employ with any regulating authority, or anything else. Like any salesperson they tend to over emphasis the positive and demphasis the negative.
The "TEACH-NOW Cohorts Community" is no more a source than any other FB group, and is no more a source than anyone else with an "experience". They arent a source of anything more than 'this is my experience'.
@s0830887 sour grapes is from getting caught at a transition moment and things didnt work out for them.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

...I think you're the one overestimating your own opinion brother.
Smoko

Post by Smoko »

s0830887 wrote:
> Hi Boomba, I am a graduate of Teach Now (and I highly recommend it for
> licensure). Don't take the exams before you enroll. The program will walk
> you through all of this, including options for exemption from some of the
> Praxis exams, there is a suggested schedule, one-on-one sessions with
> placement coordinators, etc.
>
> PsyGuy is full of shit and at least half of the stuff I read him post about
> Teach Now is bad info that he clearly read online, as anyone with access to
> Google can do. The support staff at TN is lovely and I encourage you to
> reach out to Andres Barnes, the client relations manager, directly by email
> and ask him your questions. His job is literally to talk to prospective
> students like you and answer these questions...accurately...and he was so
> helpful for me before and during the program. You can find his email on the
> TN website (am not sure if I'm allowed to post it here...)
>
> Once you are enrolled with TN, you should join the Facebook group
> "TEACH-NOW Cohorts Community" full of current and former
> students, and TONS of info about Praxis PLT and subject specific exams,
> study tips and materials, etc. It's a great community, and super super
> helpful! Get your info straight from the source and current/former students
> ;-)

I respectfully disagree with a lot of this.

1) I would take the Praxis Core & Subject exams ASAP. Teach-Now doesn't prepare you for either of those.

2) PsyGuy is actually very good when it comes to certification/teacher preparation questions. I agree that the support staff are friendly, but it's always good to get an unbiased opinion from outside of Teach-Now.

3) I don't find the Facebook isn't particularly useful. Mostly just people repeatedly asking variations of the same question, or certification questions that can be answered on official websites.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@s0830887

Im not.

@Smoko

I disagree, I wouldnt take the exams cold to start. Take a couple of practice exam first, if you can get through two of each easy breezy, and your confident in your material than you can schedule the real thing before enrolling with TN. That will be in your favor, because TN doesnt help you on the content, meaning what you go into the program with is what youre going to end up exiting with and if you cant pas the content exam your considered a non-completer, which effects the EPP/ITT effectiveness measurement. Going to them with a fail is never going to be a positive thing, and youre asking them them to take that fail. What they end up thinking is we dont do content, and this applicant doesnt know the content, we cant fix that.

Everyone who is successful in sales is friendly.

The FB group is a lot more questions then answers.
Smoko

Re: Reply

Post by Smoko »

PsyGuy wrote:
> I disagree, I wouldnt take the exams cold to start. Take a couple of
> practice exam first, if you can get through two of each easy breezy, and
> your confident in your material than you can schedule the real thing before
> enrolling with TN.

Yeah, I agree with this - I meant that the exams might as well be attempted before doing Teach-Now as opposed to waiting until you finish the course.

I recommend Kahn Academy for the Core (it's free) and Study.com for the subject content and PLT ($60 per month/30 day money back guarantee).