Is messaging schools on SEARCH enough, or...?

shopaholic

Is messaging schools on SEARCH enough, or...?

Post by shopaholic »

Is emailing schools that interest me in the SEARCH database enough? I assume that if they like the message, they then look at my file, correct?

Or should I also be emailing me CV as an attachment to their school website contact?

Also, what do all of you put in the email messages within SEARCH?
nomcommun

Re: Is messaging schools on SEARCH enough, or...?

Post by nomcommun »

I message them through Search and mention that I applied directly to their HR.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is always follow the directions in the vacancy. Of course you dont often get directions in a vacancy, and while some ISs will include instructions in their profile page its not often.
My advice is to apply through the SA portal pasting your cover letter (or a shortened version of it) in the message box and then apply separately with your full application packet to the IS and include a note in both the email message and the SA message that you have also indicated interest through the SA application portal and have applied separately under separate cover.

What happens can be many things. When you apply through SA you arent sending your application, what the IS gets is an email to whatever address they have indicated that includes your message and a link to your profile. They then have to sign in to access the profile. This email address may be different from the one posted on the ISs employment website, depending on who has the password and what they do with it. There isnt a way to save the SA profile locally the IS either has to print it or continue to access the profile through the SA portal. It can be a pain when organizing applications, since the screening process isnt typically done by senior leadership.