Fast track to American teacher license?

TeacherGal

Fast track to American teacher license?

Post by TeacherGal »

I am certified to teach elementary school in the UK and Canada. I'd like American license for teaching for any state. I only need it for an application. Any suggestions?
usartteacher

Re: Fast track to American teacher license?

Post by usartteacher »

Depending on how fast you want to go, I think you could get a teaching license from Teacher Ready in 7-9 months. I've just completed the program with them and am happy with the responsiveness of the team, the basic content and the cost. It's not comparable to the quality of an established masters program but it's a quick and easy way to get US state (Florida) certification while working full time. I was hesitant when signing up but glad I did.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is no national educator credential in the US. They are all state/territory issued with the exception of DODEA. There is the NBPTS but it doesnt qualify you for anything, and at best just expedites reciprocity between states.
TeacherGal

Re: Fast track to American teacher license?

Post by TeacherGal »

Is there a state I can get licensed to teach in quickly? I need it to bolster and application. Every little bit helps!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

How many years of teaching experience do you have? Define quickly? The fastest route and it would be pricey and require a a significant amount of the good kind of luck but a month is probably the fastest (and thats assuming all the planets are in alignment). The problems are three fold:

1) You will need an NACES evaluation completed of your foreign qualifications and credentials. There are providers that prove expedited processing at higher fees, but you would need everything ready to go and then they may be able to process it within 7 days or so (not counting delivery). State regulatory authorities dont really do this, so they rely on evaluations of NACES organizations.
2) Many state regulatory authorities will require an finger print based CRB. this means you have to not only get the appropriate fingerprints rolled out of country but have to contend with the processing times as well. these are often a few weeks to a few months.
3) Many state regulatory authorities will require some form of assessment in the form of licensing examinations. Further lengthening the amount of time.

The fastest is probably Hawaii (HI). They dont require a CRB and your degree/major field of study will fulfill testing requirements. You need 3 years of teaching experience for the Standard (professional grade) credential less than that and you would only get a 3 year (non-renewable) Initial (entry grade) credential.