SA job fair Cambridge

YoPreachTeach

SA job fair Cambridge

Post by YoPreachTeach »

Hello all,

I'm planning on going to this job fair because it's close by but I don't see many schools in locations where I want to teach (Japan, Thailand for example) Chinese schools and Middle Eastern schools seem to be the most represented. Any advice about applying maybe without going to the fair? My area is 6 years IB and AP Chem if anyone knows of schools looking for that esp in Bangkok or Tokyo? Thanks for any advice everyone !
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not all fairs are equal, the BOS fair is at the end of peak recruiting cycle and its more focused on entry class ITs. You dont want to attend a fair than. Fairs are much more productive when you have a broad job search. JP is a pretty highly desirable region and ISs dont need to do very much to get a healthy applicant pool. Thailand is better, and BKK would have been a better option for you (followed by HK). Its like that though for most regions, take any one fair and if your focused on X location or bust and there might be a couple ISs represented and youd be lucky if they have one vacancy between them in your field. If youre going to the fair just for that opportunity you really are going to need a reserved advance interview or first night recruiting.

I would create a bookmark list of the HR/employment/career/jobs page of the IB ISs in those countries (19 for LOS and 35 for JP, not counting candidates IB ISs) and monitor it. You can also look at the regional (ESOL) boards for those regions (Ajarn in LOS and GaijinPot, etc. in JP) and review those sites. You will find the third tier DSs/ISs advertise there. Dont expect much in the way of an OSH package though.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: SA job fair Cambridge

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

You should definitely be applying outside of the fair. Your experience and certification should make you reasonably attractive to decent to great schools.

As for the fair, you really have to decide where you are willing to go. As the fair approaches, if there are only a handful of schools you would seriously consider then you would have to make the call as to whether it was worth the time, expense and energy to go (e.g. how badly do you want that school/location, do they have your position as an actual opening, have they made any contact/response to you personally?). Things could change quickly AT the fair but you would probably need some solid and desirable possibilities before then to commit to going.
reisgio

Re: SA job fair Cambridge

Post by reisgio »

This fair is in Boston, which is fun to visit in Blizzard season, but, frankly, the majority of schools at this fair are looking for 20-somethings with no strings attached.