Choosing offers

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@WinterFerret

A few qualifications:

1) Youd have to be real tight. Elite tier ISs dont have an issue finding and getting high quality ITs, for them its more important to maintain the relationships they have in IE than any one IT is worth. This is the scenario though that has the highest potential to end poorly for the IT. When i get an inquiry from ITs in this scenario, my first observation is what is so great about IS B compared to IS A that justifies any meaningful (and thats important) betterment too the IT. In almost all the cases it comes down to region/location. IS A is often the position they settled for, and IS B is often in their dream or desired location region. Its rarely any difference attributable to the IS. Still there is no clearinghouse or leadership symbol in the heavens (think Hunger Games). Youd still have to have leadership A and Leadership B meet and talk, and have the conversation digress too this one IT appointment. Elite tier ISs are a smaller group but its still a lot of "Ifs".

2) I suppose it depends what you mean by caution. If by that you mean play it smart, than I would concur. Most ITs that get themselves in trouble do so because they dont play it cool and smart.

3) Tier 3 doesnt matter. Everyone understands why youd choose to dump a bottom tier 3 IS for a better IS. Who cares what they think, youve already got the second appointment. if you get asked about it, just say the tier 3 IS is sketchy and dirty and you withdrew your acceptance when they violated or breached your agreement. Smart people change their mind when presented with new information.

4) Its much less burning a bridge than you would think. Sure as an entry class IT your very likely to get dumped, but come back after a few years with higher tier experience on your resume, and being more marketable and the premium agencies will take you back. Its all about the coin to them and an IT with high utility is easy coin.

@idonteven

Its a very relevant comparison. Dont mistake ownership with leadership. They have to rep what ownership says, but get them on private time and they usually understand. leadership is limited to what ownership gives them, they know when their comp is under market value. They have families and bills they have to pay too.

Youre still referencing this "impact it has on your career". The doom and gloom, you will never work in IE ever again is fear mongering and its bunk. ISs want IT afraid because fear is a cheaper regulator than everything else.

I would agree that the capacity of a programmer to effect the success of an entire organization is greater in technology than it is in IE, but were also entirely different industries. That ability to effect an IS so profusely just isnt there, and thus there are no such ITs. This is like comparing surgeons to ITs, the risk just isnt there, and thus its not a metric for which there is comparison. What influence and capacity there is for an IT to effect an overall IS to whatever degree there is, there is and it does exist. Within that scale the value of an IT can be very significant. Its not rocket science or curing cancer, but if your a pastry chef than in the world of pasties a good pastry chef is highly valuable. Whatever it is, the scale of its significance is entirely relevant and important for the realm in which it is part of.