Reapplying at a school after turning down an offer

cam2016

Reapplying at a school after turning down an offer

Post by cam2016 »

Hello! So, two years ago during recruiting season, I was down to two offers that I was seriously considering. I went with offer A for various reasons including family reasons (they had more to offer a trailing spouse and dependents) and a location that was more attractive to me. However, offer B was financially much better and seemed like a great school, etc. I think at the time I handled things professionally with school B, I met with them in person at a fair to tell them I wouldn't accept the offer, they did ask me why, and I explained the family reasons, etc.

Now my two year contract will be ending at school A and I see the position is open at school B. It's a replacing a different person, as best as I can tell, not the person they hired two years ago. I am going to leave school A and I'm not sure about the best route to take with school B. I don't know if I should just email the contacts I spoke with before? Or send in a regular application, per the instructions on the website, but that feels weird.

Any thoughts?
shadowjack

Re: Reapplying at a school after turning down an offer

Post by shadowjack »

Go through the regular channels, but also check that the contacts you had two years ago are still there (things change). They may or may not remember you. If they are still there, email them as well, reminding them of the job offer from two years ago. Explain that your situation has changed and you are now looking to make a move because of X, Y, or Z (or all three) and have reapplied.

Two or three things might happen. You might find that your contacts have moved on (or are moving on). You might find that they don't really remember you well. Or you might find that they are interested in you.

Either way, you got nothing to lose. Tell me - do you wish you had just taken their offer two years ago?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Stop feeling weird to begin with. I would otherwise concur with @SJ. Apply like you normally would buy see if you can get in touch with the previous contacts and send them your interest. I would add to @SJ though the option that the leadership may be one of those petty types who considers your rejection of their offer as something personal and you are basically dead to them. there are some petty leadership with oversized egos, so just be prepared.
cam2016

Re: Reapplying at a school after turning down an offer

Post by cam2016 »

Thanks for the replies, I will go ahead and send in a regular application!

shadowjack wrote:
>
> Either way, you got nothing to lose. Tell me - do you wish you had just
> taken their offer two years ago?

I still think I made the right decision at the time. My youngest child was too young for the school B, but was able to attend school A. Now two years later that won't be a factor. This allowed my spouse to work, and not have to stay home, which led to a new career at an English language school and getting some certificates in that area. I think this will help wherever we go in the future.