Need Decision-Making Help (Should I stay or go?)

Lastname_Z

Need Decision-Making Help (Should I stay or go?)

Post by Lastname_Z »

My situation: I teach at a 3rd tier school and I'm fairly comfortable there. I am able to achieve some of my professional goals. I do want to aim higher though so I think I'll still teach one more year (the 2018/19 school year). However, I'm having second thoughts about this decision.

Lately every teacher at my school (especially those that I'm close to) is talking about leaving, which means that the school would face a huge hiring crisis next year. The reasons they give for leaving are sound and they are ones that I have for staying one more year.

For reasons that I'm not comfortable divulging I can't apply to new schools for the 2018-19 Academic Year and go through the process of securing a visa. I wouldn't have time to do it. So I have two choices (and a third option I'm not very keen on):

Get another year of experience teaching (even if it's not at a great school). I'll have done two years at this school so far (and 2 at my previous school, equaling 4 total) so having three years at one school on a resume would surely be a benefit (I won't seem like someone who jumps ship every two years). I can keep working on some professional goals but I won't be around anyone that I get along with so it won't be a fun year. Plus I might be made to feel dumb for staying another year.

My second option is to go back to my home-country and sit around without a job (aside from applying for supply work), but be 100% focused on job-hunting from September 2018 onward. The biggest issue here is I'm unemployed and it's a gap in my resume (I'm assuming supply work if I get it isn't very highly looked upon as experience).

My last option is to go to Europe (I'm an EU national and wouldn't need a visa), but in this situation I will be stuck in Europe for two years (it's expensive and I wouldn't save money). Plus the hiring season in Europe hasn't started yet and my contract renewal deadline would be before European schools start looking.

Any thoughts on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
expatscot

Re: Need Decision-Making Help (Should I stay or go?)

Post by expatscot »

Hmm...

Option 1 is understandable - it boils down to whether you're happy taking the risk and what else is going on behind the scenes. When I left my last school there was a lot of staff who left at the same time - the HT and the secondary HT both left too, and a lot didn't want to stay around to see what happened although things seem to have settled down a bit this year. You could also use the opportunity to negotiate a bit of a pay rise too ("I'm keen to stay, but I'm not too happy with the offer for next year - would you see your way to paying £X?")

Option 2 - It depends what you get and why. You could end up with a 1 year contract in the UK (eg for maternity) in which case you can declare it, and say you wanted to go back for a year. Equally, you could "ghost" the year - put it on your CV as "travelling" or "family reasons", or something. This could be your fall-back option.

Option 3 - You could almost combine this with option 2. Wait until the EU jobs come up, apply for them, then move. Remember too that you are on the EU employment law, so you should only have to give one month's notice to leave if you want to go after a year.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Kind of confused about the whole visa timeline thing (and the fact that you say that hiring hasn't started in Europe yet) but I'll give the other areas try.

If the school/country is not that bad and your choices are unemployment or an uncertain/frugal two years in Europe, you may as well stay another year. A 3rd year is not that significant one way or the other, but it is mildly more impressive on your CV and is certainly better than an unemployed year.

As for the people you are close to leaving, it happens frequently. Different people have different time tables and are in different cycles of their career. I wouldn't be concerned about being thought of as foolish for staying. It's your life, you have your reasons. The only exceptions being that there can be a concern that people who stay for long periods of time (like 10 years) in some very poor schools/locations giving off the impression that they are running from something and/or cannot do any better.

As for the year being no fun, that would certainly fall into the category of a premature assumption based on little to no evidence. Presumably the people you are close now, you met only two years ago at most (maybe even this year). A hiring crisis translates to many new hires coming in next year. Transient people being what they are and int'l teaching making strange bedfellows (figuratively speaking), you are likely to find someone in the new recruits that you hit it off with/can find common ground/can have a few laughs with.

Anyway, my two cents, FWIW. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I am going to agree with wrdltrvlr123 and add a few points:

1) If your friends are just now talking of leaving, they are going to be harder pressed to get their ducks in a row and find something good. A quick Search profile update isn't that hard, but fairs are filling/full. So they may be talking about leaving, but there is a decent chance many would still be around.

2) As was mentioned, there is no reason to think things will be less fun. Different, sure, but that's IT. There is a new cohort every year, and they might show you watering holes you have missed with your routine and current friends. Make new friends--the more, the merrier!

3) Europe is absolutely hiring right now. It is true that they have a later wave as local laws prevent school imposed declaration dates, but many schools have contract options that encourage early decisions. Also, people wanting to go elsewhere are already finding jobs. An open position in Asia filled by someone from Europe will leave an open position in Europe, and schools want to hire as early as possible to get the best candidates. So yes, lots of jobs available in Europe.

4) I am also confused about the two years in Europe thing. I will assume there is a tax reason for your needing to stay two years in Europe (are you talking two calendar years? Academic years?) or perhaps a personal one. Is there a reason you can't work in the national system or even doing something else in Europe? Lots of countries will allow your qualification to be recognised with just a bit of paperwork, and many national systems are in need of qualified teachers. You could do more than supply work, especially if you are there for two years--and while it might not be particularly impressive on a resume, it would be professionally very helpful to have taught in a national system, particularly in multiple countries. You could learn a lot.

5) Going back to home country is an option, sure, but why? You are right about the gap, but you can be very focused on job hunting in the fall of 2018 even if you are still at your current school. There doesn't seem to be much benefit, financially or otherwise to this.

6) Create a professional development plan for next school year. If most teachers leave after two years, sticking around for year 3 could open up some leadership (HOD, CAS coordinator, etc.) or other professional opportunities. You can probably get the school to pay for PD, you can add an extracurricular, or maybe even teach a new class. Or you could learn a language, study tech and integration, create projects or units fora portfolio. Just as ideas. LOTS of options.

Honestly, it sounds like staying is not at all a bad thing other than that you will miss your friends. But you will miss them anywhere (including your home country and Europe), and you will make new friends just as you would at a new school. There are myriad opportunities if you stay, most of which will help you long term. Be positive about the upcoming year! It doesn't sound like the options for leaving help you in any way. I would stay.

Good luck!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I'm with the latter two responses. It sounds like you are accentuating the negative without focusing on the positives. Having a plan helps you prepare. Being registered with Search by the end of this year, with references from your admin, will help you ride an early wave of recruiting next year. Being an experienced staff member among a group of new teachers makes you stand out and can open doors.

Stick around and see what happens!
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Gotta say, Thames Pirate's point that people talk about leaving and don't is a big one. At my school, most all my friends have complained about the current climate and threatened to leave, but when push comes to shove, think I'm the only one that's going to do something about it. Without knowing anything about your school's situation, I'd be willing to bet half of them end up staying.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Growup???

Option 2 and option 3 are really the same options. You can do nothing in either, and you can do anything in IE for about a year and not effect your utility. You can also do supply/relief as well under either option. The options are really stay or go.

Its really a lot of positives over keeping your actual appointment and the negative is having a smaller social circle and being potentially more lonely, compared to some very strong negatives. This happens everywhere and with everyone and if your friends dont understand they arent really your friends

I would agree with @Thames Pirate that a lot of your colleagues talk of leaving could easily be venting frustration.
I would disagree that your friends would be hard pressed to find new positions especially if they return to their HOR or stay in third tier/hardship ISs. Its getting late to hit the peak recruiting season and fairs, but lots of recruiting happens afterwards.
I would disagree that the EU is hiring right now not compared to the spring. Those incentives are usually unenforceable until later. Yes there is recruiting and vacancy's but they are still technically tentative in many cases.
I am also confuse about the need to wait two years, though I understand you may not be able to or want to talk about it.

I would concur with @WT123, the negatives arent really negatives and without other options staying has stronger advantages and benefits.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

Thanks for the advice everyone. It really has helped to make my decision-making a lot clearer.

Just as an added point: The two years in Europe thing isn't a point about taxes or anything specific. I only say two years because you always sign two-year contracts in international schools. In general life in Europe (unless you are a teacher/administrator at the elite tier of schools) = expensive (taking into account my current financial goals) so that's the only reason I'm not super keen on it. I could always just travel to Europe.