Newly Certified

star32569

Newly Certified

Post by star32569 »

I have been teaching ESL for four years and returned back to the states to get my license in Social Studies. I have a Masters degree in History. I know schools require two years experience in the states. Any suggestions on where to start looking for schools that might take a chance on me. I am open to all locations.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Newly Certified

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I would say there are places all over the world that have schools that hire newly minted teachers. Virtually every country/region seems to have a tier of schools that want/need beginning teachers.

The tricky bit is getting a visa with no K-12 experience in some countries. If not for the visa issue. I would say China is a natural for you given the huge numbers of schools but they have been toughening up the requirements to get a visa. That being said, requirements vary from province to province and some schools might be able to spin your ESL experience and degree/certification and get you a teaching visa. There are a number of 3rd tier schools that are not horrible and pay reasonably well in all of the large cities of China. Google a list and start hitting their websites to see what they require. You might also join/post on the paid side where people can name names of schools.

The ME has many lower tier schools but also has some countries with stricter visa requirements. AND, I would not generally wish the experience of teaching in a 3rd tier school in the ME on anyone (likely to be much worse than teaching in a 3rd tier school in Asia).

South America is another region with many levels of schools. I am not familiar with their visa requirements.

In the end, you will not really know unless you put yourself out there and apply to some schools. You may also want to think about attending the UNI fair. I am not that familiar with them but they seem to require that you are a certified teacher but aren't that focused on years of experience.

https://teachoverseas.uni.edu/fair

Just some random thoughts. Maybe someone else will have more specific/useful advice for you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The ME, LCSA, and parts of Asia (such as China). I disagree with @WT123, Experience for a visa isnt really an issue.