Trailing spouse costs

MrKamikazi

Trailing spouse costs

Post by MrKamikazi »

Do contracts normally include insurance for trailing spouses? What about transportation or airfare?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Most of the time insurance or access to insurance is included for a spouse as part of an OSH package and even a LH package. There are also offers however (and not uncommon) that only provide benefits for actual employees, and exclude trailing spouses. At the very least even lower third tier ISs will include the option to purchase insurance for a spouse.

Relocation allowance that include accompanying air travel for trailing spouses while still common at upper tier ISs is less common in lower tier ISs. A lower tier IS will provide OSH benefits to its employee and the rest is the obligation and responsibility of the IT.

In summary; insurance is far more common and air transportation less common.
MrKamikazi

Re: Trailing spouse costs

Post by MrKamikazi »

Interesting.

The travel portion doesn't surprise me but I seem to have found an offer that doesn't cover a trailing spouse. Its not a deal breaker by any means but it is somewhat awkward.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MrKamikazi

1) Is the region one that provides some form of social insurance program to residents, such as the EU for example?
2) Is it possible that someone in HR who drafted your contract/offer is unaware of your spouse?
3) Is this a 'give away' to negotiation (they dont offer you insurance for your spouse you 'negotiate for it', they give it to you, because they dont really care, and you feel like you won)?
4) Have you asked or inquired with leadership for an explanation? It could be a number of reasons, such as they generally only hire singles or teaching couples and dont have a mechanism to add a non-working spouse to the policy)?
5) This could simply be their means of rejecting your application, giving you an offer you wouldnt accept. There could be internal politics or conflicting issues within the IS (someone was told to offer you the appointment but someone doesnt want you, and this way they can claim you declined the position).

It would surprise me an IS that offered an appointment without consideration for a spouse.
MrKamikazi

Re: Reply

Post by MrKamikazi »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MrKamikazi
>
> 1) Is the region one that provides some form of social insurance program to
> residents, such as the EU for example?

Yes. On the other hand when the question was raised there was no mention of the national plan.

> 2) Is it possible that someone in HR who drafted your contract/offer is
> unaware of your spouse?

No.

> 3) Is this a 'give away' to negotiation (they dont offer you insurance for
> your spouse you 'negotiate for it', they give it to you, because they dont
> really care, and you feel like you won)?

Does not seem to be after the point was raised.

> 4) Have you asked or inquired with leadership for an explanation? It could
> be a number of reasons, such as they generally only hire singles or
> teaching couples and dont have a mechanism to add a non-working spouse to
> the policy)?

That seems to be the case - it is "being looked into" but it seems they just don't currently have a way to add a spouse as a trailing spouse (unlike kids) is not viewed as a dependent.

> 5) This could simply be their means of rejecting your application, giving
> you an offer you wouldnt accept. There could be internal politics or
> conflicting issues within the IS (someone was told to offer you the
> appointment but someone doesnt want you, and this way they can claim you
> declined the position).

Doesn't seem to be the case as it was in the policy handbook for all teachers not in a specific contract drafted for me. I brought it up as it seemed odd.

> It would surprise me an IS that offered an appointment without
> consideration for a spouse.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MrKamikazi

The social insurance option is probably the way to go. Some research is likely in order. Why they have a plan for children/dependents but dont include spouses as a category of dependents is mystifying. Possibly a disorganized IS, leadership or HR.

Keep us updated.