Slower start to recruiting?

fine dude

Slower start to recruiting?

Post by fine dude »

Do y'all feel this recruiting season is to a slower start? It's the end of October and I don't see many vacancies at elite schools in Asia.
shadowjack

Re: Slower start to recruiting?

Post by shadowjack »

I'm seeing them.
senator

Post by senator »

A LOT of Math jobs.

Then again, there always are: I knew taking the hard courses in college (while my liberal arts roommates slept until noon) would pay off.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Im seeing them, and I dont feel its any significant slower or a faster start than previous recruiting years.
purpletreefrog

Post by purpletreefrog »

I actually feel like I'm seeing less from Asia than in the past but it's still early...

Interesting that others feel otherwise (especially as I'm maths as well). I guess some of it is just luck. Last time I changed jobs (5 years ago) the number of maths jobs were insane and it seemed hardly anyone was competing for them, maybe that was just an exceptionally big year for maths (seriously, I went to the Bangkok fair and nearly drowned in interviews including some that I was clearly not qualified for - I asked some recruiters why and they told me there were just hardly any good maths candidates at the fair that year).
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@purpletreefrog

5 years a go the dynamics of IE were different. In general the IE field mirrors the DE field but is often a few years behind because of how budgets are written, and approved in advance. Blame the housing/credit bubble.
marieh

Post by marieh »

"A LOT of Math jobs."

Please, please let this still be the case in 2 years when I try to find a new job.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There are already people with new jobs and people with multiple job interviews. Jobs have been removed from Search, which usually indicates that those jobs have been filled.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

My dream schools didn't even start the hiring. Been tracking both Search and the school websites for well over a month.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If they have a more distant notification date (December 1, for instance) or in case of WE, March or May, you may be waiting awhile longer. But I am seeing postings from highly regarded tier 1 schools - and am also seeing jobs come off the listings for the same schools as they fill their candidate baskets and start interviewing.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Yes, it's slower than normal in my estimation. Many positions that have at least one or two listings by now have none anywhere good. I think people are just staying put and/or school heads/principals are giving postings to internal candidates or friends they worked with at other schools.