Warning sign or passive aggression?

Nomad68

Warning sign or passive aggression?

Post by Nomad68 »

All of a sudden most work emails sent to me on an individual to individual basis from my various line managers now have my Principal CC'd in even if what is being discussed doesn't directly involve him.
Is this run of the mill passive aggression or am I under scrutiny or am I being paranoid?
McTeacher

Re: Warning sign or passive aggression?

Post by McTeacher »

While it's almost impossible to tell what's going on in your situation, I know that in my school we only CC in the Head when the relationship between the two parties has gone professionally sour for some reason... if that makes sense. Most of us only do it when we are emailing with the Second Head because we are tired of his unprofessionalism. When we CC in the Head, we get a correct, respectful response.
Have you created any friction recently?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a warning sign, at least I would take it as one. Its possible that your HOS has a new policy that they want to be copied on all correspondence. You could ask around to see if its happening with other ITs as well, but I would otherwise concur with @McTeacher. Its generally done between ITs when the relationship between the ITs has become negative for some reason. When its between ITs and leadership then its the classic establishment of documenting a pattern or basis for dismissal. You were directed to do X and you either didnt do it or didnt do it to expectation.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I'm not feeling the right fit to be honest. I was hired by the outgoing Principal and not by the newly arrived incumbent. I have no doubt he would not have hired me - he clearly has a type that is younger than me for this shiny new school. Plus for logistical reasons not in my control I have not been able to shine yet as I would have liked. I'm also being given extra duties no one else wants which are outside my remit or experience. I admit to a healthy level of paranoia and cynicism but then one of the Principal's first comments to me was that he has a good friend who wants my job!
McTeacher

Post by McTeacher »

Be afraid... be very afraid

If you had used the word "Head" instead of "Principal", I would think you and I were working at the same school. Our Head would say the same things and act the same way. I, too, was hired by an outgoing Head and one of the first things the current Head said to me was that I was being paid too much.

Do you have any exit options?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

Individually they arent ominous, but combined; lack luster performance (whatever the reason), undesirable additional tasking, hostile confrontation by leadership. Time to break out your exit strategy and implement the preliminary work.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Is this the first year of a two year contract?

Would the new Head release you/give you a positive reference to go?
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@shadowjack this is week 4 of a 2 year contract!

I have already initiated my exit strategy. I came with the intention of staying 3+ years but with my new Principal I knew from day 1 that he was not going to renew me. I just got the vibe that I was not one of his types (young and sporty). I can't say too much as I might as well put my name and photo on here but we were not on the same page regarding his expectations in a situation made confusing by the late arrival of basic equipment and materials beyond either of our control. Now I am being given extra duties seemingly to 'keep me busy' although I have plenty to be getting on with. There is a lot of passive aggression here and the SMT are watching all the new staff very closely.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

just curious - is it a "british" school by any chance?

v.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@vandsmith, no - it's IB but the staff are 50% British (but that is a not the problem)
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

Nomad68 wrote:
> @vandsmith, no - it's IB but the staff are 50% British (but that is a not
> the problem)

i only ask because passive aggression is a hallmark of the british schools, from what i've seen (they can also have IB). 50% british - that counts as british to me! lol but to answer your original question, yes, i would take it as a bad sign. i would just ask if it was me. hey, why are you cc'ing our boss on everything? but then again, simply asking a simple question might get you the infamous written verbal warning. haha.

best of luck!

v.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

"written verbal warning" is an oxymoron used by leadership without the oxy.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Well, yes, the senior managers are mostly British. I did consider asking directly about the Cc'ing but thought that might just escalate matters. I have also just read on here that two of the managers worked at a Tier 1 school in Asia and this is clearly their management style. Moving on from this toxic school will be a blessing.