Who can't hack it?

chilagringa

Who can't hack it?

Post by chilagringa »

Hey all,

For discussion: what kind of people can't hack it in IT?

My school has its problems, but is overall pretty decent and is considered tier one for the region. The biggest problem is the poor pay, as it's in LCSA. Otherwise, I find plenty to be annoyed about but continue to enjoy my job and think overall it's a good place to work.

However, every year arrive new international teachers from the USA who are completely overwhelmed by the "crazy workload" and simply can't hack it. They leave every year saying it's an impossible place to work. I find this completely mind-blowing, as it's a 5/8 load, and most people teach only 2 different classes. Class sizes are small. There are a lot of meetings, but it sounds like that's standard for international schools.

Then, other international teachers arrive from the USA, work hard, and thrive.

What gives? Are there personality types that are destined for failure in IT? In general, I find that international schools expect people to hit the ground running, but some people want their hands held.
Thames Pirate

Re: Who can't hack it?

Post by Thames Pirate »

Anyone who can't handle 20 entitled children has no business in IE. I don't care how many inner city kids you've taught, if you can't teach entitled kids and help them learn some empathy and a sense of responsibility, you are doomed.

Anyone prone to homesickness or who can't handle some culture shock is in for a rough ride. There is nothing wrong with comparing to or referencing previous schools or countries--but only if it is a productive thing or simply shooting the breeze. Negative comparisons are always a bad sign.

Anyone expecting all schools to pay like the elites did 15 years ago will constantly be unhappy. The most competitive package in WE is never going to have savings potential like Saudi Arabia does, and if you expect your Euro will go as far as your RMB, you are probably not in touch with reality. The reality is that if you can't bother to do a quick cost of living - to more realistically gauge your savings potential, you are likely doomed. This applies also to those folks who constantly complain about pay vs. workload.

Anyone with a white savior complex.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Holier than thou types.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

It's the same the world over, in any profession or way of life. Some people are yet to master the subtle art of not giving a f*%k.

There's even a book on it. No excuses.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/282 ... ing-a-f-ck
sid

Post by sid »

People who sweat the small stuff and can't handle change. Not just the big changes like moving country, but the smaller nonsense that means nothing. If you can't be flexible, stay home.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I think first timers overseas can seriously underestimate the shock and adaptation required to living in a foreign country. Even if people are well-traveled, there's a big difference between traveling through and living in a new place. The charm can wear off pretty quickly and the stress can be considerable.

Even with some good salaries and benefit packages, costs can add up, esp. if you are paying local taxes. If families are maintaining a life back home (house costs, college tuition, etc.,) those expenses can eat into the extra money. Thames Pirate is right--the big salaries and benefit packages are not as widespread, but are limited to the big elite schools (or places are less desirable such as places in the Middle East).

Small class sizes and pleasant students aside, it can be a shock to manage high levels of EAL or academic support services without the levels of support found back in the States. Parents can have more power, be more overbearing or more intrusive on a teacher's work and time. There may be more a consumer/power mentality (I am paying for tuition and so I want what I want). Maybe I've been fortunate, but overseas I haven't taught with a lot of "dead wood." Teachers may be collegial but I've also found that teachers can also be more competitive, which may cause some discomfort if teachers aren't used to pushing themselves in that manner. The work hours can be more intense as well.

Teachers that I've seen burn out quickly and return hom (in or after their couple of contracts) tend to feel the pressure of more than 1 of these aspects. It's a great lifestyle for sure and we have loved it, despite the challenges that it brings, but I've definitely seen that it's not for everyone, and there's no shame in figuring that out for yourself.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Folks who turn to IT because they are running away from something - or themselves. All that does is make the problem or root cause far greater. Then all the little hassles we experience in a new country/culture/environment become unbearable or get used an excuse to cut and run. From observation I think this is especially true of folks who have faced relationship problems - either they stay lonely and depressed or they embark on doomed flings or relationships that make them more miserable and affect their work ability/attitude. The same is true if one half of a couple is not committed to the move.

Working overseas has to be a positive, considered choice and you definitely need a plan and an exit strategy.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I think Thames made a good point about entitled kids. I don't care how many tough inner-city schools you taught at, entitled rich kids are their own brand of difficult. Some of the teachers at my school simply can't deal with them. Personally, I like working with them because I take pleasure in making as many of them not assholes.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

That is a... very underdeveloped insult.

Moving on, I wonder how much it has to do with money? Do people "hack it" better at higher-paying schools because they feel like they are being compensated for the hard work?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

People at higher paying schools are typically those who are established teachers who have already worked abroad--not always, but generally. I don't know that you can establish a causal link between pay and "hacking it."
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Referring to students as 'assholes', wow...
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

At what age can a person be an asshole? I think it happens sometime around puberty. If you saw how some of my extremely rich kids treated their maids, the cleaning staff and the cafeteria staff you probably wouldn't hesitate to call them assholes! I spend a lot of time in my classroom talking about issues of systemic inequality, with the hope that many of my students won't continue the ways that they treat the poor.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

It's a character failing of mine.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i think referring to kids under a certain age as 'assholes' is more a comment on the parent(ing) rather than the kid...just a thought.

v.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

So a person is not an asshole in their own right until 18? You're right though, it does come a lot from parenting, and up to a certain age it shouldn't be blamed on the kids.

Okay, sorry... I have hijacked this thread.