Search's Criminal Background Document

HereThereEverywhere

Search's Criminal Background Document

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

My question is, is it worth it to go through the hassle of getting this document? It is suggested when you make a profile with them, along with other documents I could see the worth of like certificates/degrees. However, every school I've ever got a contract with has asked for a check once I got the job (so it is fresh) and some countries have varied a bit in what they have asked for. So, anyone with experience doing this and is it worth it?
b12r

Re: Search's Criminal Background Document

Post by b12r »

Wait. Put in for it around January maybe February.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends how much of a hassle it is for you. If your in the UK getting a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland isn't a huge deal, its an online application and a fee, it isnt much of hassle. If you are in the US dont bother with a national (FBI) or state CRB, just go to your local police department and request the local name search CRB and request it notarized or certified. Its likely little more than an application and a fee, and probably takes only a couple weeks.

The ISs dont know you from anyone, giving them access to a CRB even if it becomes dated over the course of the recruiting season isnt a significant expenditure of resources and gives them some assurances that at least up until now you have been somewhat a decent person and its an easy document to procure.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It isn't a huge inconvenience. Given the recent sensational cases (even though they would NOT have been caught by a criminal check), larger international schools are taking pains to assure their parents that there is appropriate vetting of incoming teachers. Pre-screening is the 'new normal'.
TeacherGal

Post by TeacherGal »

It seems to me that more and more schools are taking these police checks more seriously. Rightly so. I find they are a pain and in some countries the fee to get them has been a little high but I still get them. If I was a school recruiter I'd want to go through any applicants past with a fine toothed comb.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

More and more of the CRB efforts are more focused on appearance of due diligence instead of the realities. If all you are looking for is those prone to violence or predators that CRBs are pretty strong indicators, but so many integrity issues such as testing irregularities, etc. would never come up in a CRB.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Thanks All, good thoughts, but I guess what I am more getting at is not if the school is in the right to check. I would assume they are. Every school I've been at has asked for at least my last country's check. The problem comes when you've done more than 3 countries in a decade. I suppose, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@HereThereEverywhere

Tell me about it. I did it once (actually attempted was more like it) and just couldn't do it without adding an entire summers worth of travel to do parts of it in person. two factors to consider however: 1) That a national CRB will include a check of InterPol and will find anything really serious, so there isnt that to worry about you having to do. 2) A reference will uncover anything of concern that didnt rise to the level of a criminal action.

What I advise is before you leave a region you go down to the local police and obtain a local check, about a month before your final departure, and then scan that for the time you ever need it.