Special Ed/Learning Support Professional Development

Spedguy

Special Ed/Learning Support Professional Development

Post by Spedguy »

Hello!

Long time lurker here who has finally made the break into IT! I have a handful of teaching year from the USA under my belt but not much PD to go with it. I am currently working in an Asian IS and have a generous PD supplement that goes with my contract. I was curious what the forums suggestions are for PD in reference to Special Education in an IT setting. PD referencing to conferences/seminars to attend or even classes to take to supplement my professional resume to better serve my school.

Thanks in advance!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Special Ed/Learning Support Professional Development

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Definitely check out SENIA:

http://senia.asia/
mamava

Post by mamava »

Senia is good for those in Asia. It's hard to find specific PD geared toward the actual work that you're doing day to day. Every 3-4 years I've attended LDA (Learning Disabilities America) national conference, held in February every year. It's pricey with travel (although I was able to get a scholarship last year that paid for my conference and hotel costs) but it's a good way to get some PD in specific areas, as well as keeping up with what is happening in the States. So many international schools have really good teachers, but there's a definite lack of keeping up with best practices and latest information, especially in areas like ADHD, Asperger's executive skills, etc.

I've also had training in reading/writing workshop which I've found very helpful in framing the work I do with reading and writing skills and how it meshes with the classroom instruction they are receiving.

Another place (again, pricey) is Next Frontier Inclusion (http://www.nextfrontierinclusion.org) which works heavily on differentiation and developing a broader awareness and sense of what it means to be a more inclusive school. Not specifically PD you'll take and use right away, but as theoretical framework it's very good.

Finally, there's Knowledge Source Institute (www.ksipd.com) that does PD generally in Asia (a lot in Thailand) that focuses on differentiation. Again, it's not super cheap, but I've used a lot of the information in conversations and program development.

The National Association of School Psychologists and the National Association of Speech-Language-Hearing Association also offer PD that might have some things that are beneficial. They may be more US-based but might be options.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally disagree with the prior contributors, unless your purpose for those types of conference PD is to justify some vacay time, none of them are going to mean very much or offer your resume any significant utility. What you want are PD certificates by recognized curriculum providers such as IB or AP, and absent that Uni credit/courses and moving towards an advance degree. Those credits are the ones that are going to be universally acceptable by regulatory licensing agencies, and the PD that will give you the best marketability when recruiting.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I agree that certificates, uni credits, and working towards an advanced degree are great and provide a focused, more in-depth study. As I've grown, though, I've often based my PD on things that I have had questions about or struggled with in the classroom. Those students' need drove me to look for specific information in those areas. I don't need a full-on certificate of degree, but I have been able to use that information to provide on-going support for students.

Yes, Senia, EARCOS, etc. are places where you can get random PD in a nice location, or you can collect a bunch of clock hours for re-lincensure. But a nice vacay isn't the only reason to go. It is hard to find good specific PD in special education overseas so you do have to look hard. I've done all of them--random PD for clock-hours, university classes, PD from experts in the field on specific issues--and it just depends on what you are really looking for. Pursuing another higher degree at this point wouldn't necessarily help my classroom practice for where I am and what I need.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mamava

Sure, Ive had questions and challenges as well, but they are the kind resolved in 5-10 minutes worth of research and investigation, not the sit in a seminar room for 8 hours listening to someones canned presentation. For a 6 hour workshop I get about 10-15 minutes of workable resources if anything.

Another degree may not contribute to you practice, but it will add value to your marketability and the utility of your resume, not to mention the coin in an offer.