TESOL and Retirement Overseas

senator

TESOL and Retirement Overseas

Post by senator »

Have any International School teachers retired then stayed overseas to teach English as a second language. This seems like it would be an ideal situation for a teacher seeking a semi-retirement while still living overseas. The money seems pretty good for what appears to be teaching fewer hours in much more relaxed conditions than a lot of international schools.

Any ideas?
sid

Re: TESOL and Retirement Overseas

Post by sid »

I'm sure someone has. It could work.
I wonder about the bigger context, though, as the premise seems odd to me.
When I retire, it will be because I have the funds to do so. I might dabble in some sort of school, if they'll have me, but it would be far more casual than a job with hours. More volunteer stuff, just to get to hang out with nice people and do some of the extra stuff that kids need but schools can't always offer.
The post sounds as if working and earning money would be required. And to me that isn't retirement. Retirement is having enough money to say "stuff it. I'm only doing what I want to do."
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

At the career point you describe the ITs/ETs either have their own ES that they hire someone to run as a turnkey business or they have a solid schedule of private or small group lessons they do on a limited/part-time basis.
senator

Post by senator »

Thanks guys.

What I mean as semi-retirement is working a few hours a day so I can pay all my bills overseas and not touch my portfolio or other income streams for a few years until full retirement - or I could stay teaching ESOL.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Can you?

Why are you asking the membership? Surely you have a better understanding of your retirement portfolio and your revenue streams to determine whether you should or need to teach in ESOL for only a few hours a month or if you need closer to full time work, or somewhere in between?
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

I think it sounds like a fine idea to make some extra money or maybe a way to secure a visa. However, a lot depends on your age and financial needs. Many countries will not grant you a visa past a 55 or 60. I suppose if you are pretty set financially, you could do worse than teach 12 hours a week in Cambodia. If thats the kind of place you're into.
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy,

Yes, financially I am ok. I am looking more into getting some first hand experience from people who might actually have taught both in international schools and in ESOL programs. Also, I realize that a full retirement would make me nuts.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I taught at an excellent school in Singapore until the age of 63, and then I retired there teaching ESL and subbing at a lot of international schools. For me it was fun, but there came a point that medical insurance cost too much or was difficult to get if you were over 65. Also, as much as the politics in the US is so destructive, I found that being overseas was not really an escape from it.

I original plan was to remain overseas as a retiree, but because of health care and the desire to be at my true home led me back at the age of 67. We're all different, but that was the situation for me. Also, the traveling I can do from the US is perhaps just as much as I would do from Singapore, although I tend more to stay in this part of the world now.

Rob
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Fair enough. The biggest difference is the commitment. With EE unlike IE you get paid when you are at the ES and every lesson, and when the lesson is done and over with you can push it out of your mind and can do the same with the whole business when you are done for the day. No taking work home to mark/grade, or lesson plans, etc.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Teaching TESOL in the twilight of my career is something I've also considered as an option. However, having previously taught both ESL and in international schools, these are a few thoughts:

1. ESL contracts have very limited holidays. If you sign a contract, with the school sponsoring your visa, you are generally restricted to about 2-4 weeks holiday per year. That wouldn't have a semi-retirement feel to it.

2. Considering Point 1, a better option may be be to work part-time (1-3 days/week) at an international school. This might involve supporting a niche position (ESL, learning support etc.), coaching or supply work. This way, you could arrange permanent long weekends and maintain 3 months per year vacation. Your limited role would also preclude you from meetings, ECA's etc.

The latter option sounds much more like semi-retirement, as I'd like to view and experience it.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

With the above said, I also think firstly you need to consider where you'd like to live in semi-retirement. The available options in that location will then heavily influence your decisions.

If you choose a small village in Thailand for example, then teaching ESL at a local school may be the best (and only) option.

Likewise, if you're interested in somewhere like Micronesia, such as the lady in the link below, then you'll be restricted to the local schools. The advantage being, you could pick and choose your schedule.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic ... highlight=

If you opt for a city with some form of expat population, then the international school option will open up to you.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@vincentchase

The LW could just as easily have a part time or flex time (hourly) agreement with an ES, or could manage their own pool/group of private students.
The issue is more of visa support, though part time work at an IS (or anywhere) may not qualify for a visa depending on the region.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Another option would be to tutor students at your previous international school. I know some retired teachers from my school, and they tutor maybe 8 hours a week and that gives them maybe a thousand bucks a month. Enough to pay the rent, at least, and if you own your own place, enough to live off of besides vacations/extravagances.