Non native Physics Teacher

physion

Non native Physics Teacher

Post by physion »

Hi all! I am a non- native Physics Teacher holding a B.Sc. and M.Sc in Physics Teaching using new tech. Moreover, I am holding a QTS and I have 3 years teaching experience. I would like to ask you somethings about international teaching as I am interested in moving abroad for teaching jobs and specifically in UAE.

1) I am searching about teaching positions, moving conditionsand requirements during the last 1,5 year and I know that there is a shortage in Physcis teachers. As I can see in most positions the applicant should be native english speaker. A few of them say for non native IELTS 6,5. Is it difficult for non native Physics teachers to find a position?
2) My wife is holding a History Degree and a QTS and a masters degree in language education for migrants but she has not teaching experience yet. Do you believe that she would apply for teaching positions in UAE ( or teaching assistant firstly)?
3) Do you believe that a couple (without children) would be more possible to be recruited in a school than a single?

Thanks in advance!!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What is your native language?

Native English Speakers (NES) generally includes ITs from the US/UK/CAN/AUS, (some ISs include S.Africa, sometimes the Philippians). An IELTS of 6.5 is typical for ISs that accept non-native English speaking applicants.

There really isnt a shortage of physics ITs in IE, physics generally has higher need than some subject areas, but if you look at Swiss ISs and elite ISs, they never have trouble finding physics ITs given the level of comp they offer. An IS can easily fill an IT vacancy in any classical subject, by increasing comp and appealing to the DE system (some esoteric areas, such equestrian science and sport, etc. can be difficult to fill. To that end, subjects generally move in cycles with some subjects in higher demand some years and lower demand in others. Physics though generally is considered a high needs subject.
The other issue and you dont say where your from or what your nationality/ethnicity is but IE is a very "white" saturated field, especially in Asia, where white/Caucasian equates to western edu.

Yes, its generally very difficult for ITs who arent NES. You will find lower third tier ISs that will recruit non-NES ITs, the problem with this is you will very likely find the ceiling of your marketability stagnate in the third tier (and below floaters) you arent going to get to higher tier ISs because those ISs can get NES ITs. So yes a lower third tier IS will accept you for appointment but youre going to be stuck there.

I wouldnt apply for TA positions, the experience is of no value in recruiting in IE, its essentially worth zero.

Teaching couples have the highest utility value among family logistics factors, they are the most marketable when looking at family demographics.
physion

Re: Non native Physics Teacher

Post by physion »

Thank you very much PsyGuy for the reply, you are very helpful! I really appreciate it!! We are from Greece and we are looking different places to move in 1 or 2 years from now , so we just check the choices we have trying to improve our english language skills at the same time. Does anybody know about history jobs or generally humanities in UAE?