SEARCH administrator references

shopaholic

SEARCH administrator references

Post by shopaholic »

Does anybody know what exactly admin are asked when they fill out references for SEARCH candidates?

I'm asking because I am still considering whether I will pay to do a fair next year. I'm worried because a principal reference is required, and I don't think my principal knows me by name. Does she need to write a complete letter of recommendation for SEARCH, or is it just a series of boxes to tick? What do they ask?
b12r

Re: SEARCH administrator references

Post by b12r »

First bit of advice, I have been in your shoes. I know your concerns about the Search profile app and Letter of Recommendations from admin/personal.

Basically, the confidential reference sheet is a form like email sent to professional/personal referees. It takes a total of 5 min TOPS to complete. It has roughly 15 questions to answer with sufficient/need improvement (or something similar) about your teaching and professionalism. There is maybe 3 boxes at the bottom for written responses if they wish to complete.

Pro tip: When you go to ask your admin for the confidential reference letter, bring your UPDATED resume and a small write up of things you'd like for them to include. Don't just shove it in their face but if the admin legit cannot think of "nice" things to say due to not having a lot of interaction they will be glad to have these hand outs. You have to introduce these in a delicate manner. Once you ask and they say they will be more than glad to complete the reference kind of slide in the well if you want any extra help I have an updated resume with me and also some things these recruiters look for specifically. Have them in your hand at this time. If they want them they will ask for them. If not they will say they are good without them.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @b12r, its not so much a reference or a recommendation, as its a survey of 15 questions that rates you on 10 dimensions of teaching effectiveness. If youve ever created a form in Google Forms its kind of like that. There are two boxes at the bottom to enter free text.

I would add the pro tip, that you ask your leadership/supervisor to first write you an actual letter of recommendation, and then when they get the survey they an include passages and pieces of the actual letter in the reference form.