BRINGING A FAMILY INTO QATAR?

Nomad68

BRINGING A FAMILY INTO QATAR?

Post by Nomad68 »

What are the current rules regarding bringing a family (spouse + 2 kids) into Qatar? I had hoped to move to Qatar with my family when I start my new job but what I am reading is that it could take up to 6 months or longer to get the necessary paperwork and bank records to get them in. My school didn't say anything about this.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It could take up to 6 months to bring your family over. Essentially YOU are sponsoring your family, which means you have to get there, establish all the financials, and then go through the bureaucracy to get the visas, etc.
sid

Re: BRINGING A FAMILY INTO QATAR?

Post by sid »

Teachers in Qatar usually bring their family with them when first arriving. Your school should assist with all that's required. The only people I know who brought family after did it for their own reasons, nothing to do with Qatar or school rules.
I'm not sure what you're reading, but talk to your school before you believe anything. It may be that they never mentioned it because it is irrelevant to your situation.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

It could also mean they didnt mention it because they arent planing on assisting you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

"Real" schools will do this for you. I have been here many years and the best schools will get your RP ( residential permit) for you and your family. Also DO NOT get a Qatar credit card only get a debt card!
sid

Post by sid »

Out of interest, why not get a credit card? I had one in Qatar for years as did most of my colleagues.
Important to note that Qatar considers insolvency and non-payment of debts as criminal matters, so it pays to be smart with credit cards and loans. You certainly don't want to end up owing money you can't pay. But to me, that's true in any country.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

I believe thats the point, that you cant just walk away from your debt in Qatar.
sid

Post by sid »

Whereas if one could walk away, one should get a credit card?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Here is the credit card problem.

Before you leave you must go to your bank 45 days before your exit. Then you need to go back 3 days before you go. During Ramadan the bank is open from 9pm until midnight. (And it is busy!) If you have any debt you can't go home.... why risk it??
sid

Post by sid »

One could always simply avoid debt, or at least pay it off before quitting your job.
And Ramadan is moving each year. In 2018 it'll be over by June 14, in 2019 by June 4. So will not be an impediment to teachers starting two year contracts now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Ethics aside, you cant leave without settling your debts, thats the issue.

None of those solutions would solve the issue, even if you had a zero balance, youd still have to visit the bank at 45 and 3 day marks. You dont have to do that with a debit card.
Those dates could certainly present problem for those on 1 year contracts and those who EOC is June 1.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ramadan is moving the other way.... it will be mid- May next year NOT mid June.

I have never had any debt... I just don't want to mess with a Qatar Bank.
sid

Post by sid »

Mike wrote:
> Ramadan is moving the other way.... it will be mid- May next year NOT mid June.
>

It will start mid-May and end mid-June. (As I wrote)