Living in Shanghai

eion_padraig

Re: Living in Shanghai

Post by eion_padraig »

@Helen Back, wow, I believe you about the 17k RMB/month, but I haven't heard anyone making that little even down south here and it's quite a bit less expensive than Shanghai. I guess if you're talking about the bottom of pay scales for a brand new teacher that makes a bit more sense.

@cheerysunshine, So the crazy thing is that internet speeds can vary a lot even within the same city and seem to vary sometimes by the neighborhood. I get a fair bit of lag on short YouTube clips from my apartment so I'm amazed that people can use Hulu and Netflix. During politically sensitive times the whole country's internet seems to slow down. It's pain when you just come back from a holiday to the politically open country that is Vietnam where you can use Google and Facebook and then return to China where you can't.
cheerysunshine

Post by cheerysunshine »

I'd be happy if Netfilx works there!

So many different views about the salary!

I am actually an experienced teacher. I have a BA in education and have taught in public schools at home (not international schools) over the last 12 years.

I probably could get a better salary in a different school but this is the only school that would be happy to have me start in November (instead of August). I can't start earlier because of my current contract.

I really don't want to wait till August 2018 to move to China and so I figured I might as well use the next year to build up my CV, get some IB training, then explore my options.

Is this way of thinking correct?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cheerysunshine

You are getting grossly underpaid at RMB25K with 10+ years experience. Your experience alone puts you at Career Class stage on the PASS.

That would be an error. Whats your current DS going to do in November? Whoever your replacement is can probably start earlier, meaning you can depart in August. Since you appear very open to locations and China is a hardship region, I would strongly advise commencing a revised job search with the intent of an August start and see what happens. There isnt much use in discussing decision making until you have options from which to make a decision from.

Aside, you REALLY dont want to arrive in November if all the new faculty and the IS starts in August (fall), you will have missed so much that you will spend the entire year trying to catch up, in addition you will lose many opportunities including setting the tone for your classroom and with your students among other things.
cheerysunshine

Post by cheerysunshine »

@Psyguy

Pardon my clumsy fingers.

What I was trying to say is that I am only able to start in an IS on January, after the winter break. I am unable to leave earlier.

In a nutshell, I can only start in January and I really don't want to wait until August 2018 before I move.

What would you say?

Also, why would you call China a hardship country? I've always wanted to explore China... and thought Shanghai would make a good base.

Which country would you recommend for IT - I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Parts of China might pose a "hardship", but Shanghai is not one of them.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cheerysunshine

Id advise as before that you start looking for what job opportunities might be available to you. If a good enough IS is interested and wants to appoint you then look at leaving your current contract early. Youre DS can probably fill your position a lot easier over the summer, or if they even have someone already they could just start earlier. Its all academic though until there is an actual opportunity. Regardless youre still getting vastly under compensated for your resume.

Ive been doing this long enough to experience that one ITs hardship is another ITs paradise. China just has a number of factors that dont put it at the top of most ITs priority list. Most ITs go to China do their 2 years and then get out. Its polluted, politically restrictive and oppressive, media isnt readily available, health care isnt first world, theres a lot of factors that are on the list of negatives.

It doesnt really matter what Id think. The generally held position is that WE (Western Europe) is highly desirable, and in Asia the little tigers of JP, HK, SG.