How long can I wait to reply to an offer?

squaretortoise

How long can I wait to reply to an offer?

Post by squaretortoise »

I did a search and didn't find this, so sorry if I missed it!

I have an offer that I would be pretty happy with, but I am waiting on a decision from my top choice school, which they have said would come early next week.

How long have you waited before replying to an offer? Is it best to ask for a little "think time" and be up front?

Thanks for any advice!
sid

Re: How long can I wait to reply to an offer?

Post by sid »

Usually schools give you a time limit. If they didn't, best stay in contact with them. Ask questions about the school and country so they know you're still interested. Don't just drop off the radar. Sooner or later they'll probably give you a deadline. Usually it's about a week after a remote offer. 24 hours at a fair.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Generally agree with @Sid, either the IS gave you a deadline or you need to ask for one directly, or stay in contact with them daily lest they move on to someone else.

I disagree with some of the deadlines stated by @Sid. A week for a remote offer is often the maximum you could get, many more ISs will give you a few days or a weekend. Asking for a week or as long as a week signals your waiting on something else. How much time do you need to read several pages of the contract and maybe do some back of the envelope finance calculations or discuss that with the spouse, its a couple hours to a day each at most.
24 hours at a fair is ideal, but few ISs can wait that long for a response your more likely to get the rest of the day or a few hours than anything close to a full 24 hour day.
citygirl

Post by citygirl »

From my recent experience one school did not set a deadline but they also had not given me a copy of the contract to look through. I responded with a thank you and told them that I would wait for them to send the contract. I told my top choice school that I had received an offer and they moved things along for me and I ended up with my first choice. You can always buy time by asking to speak or email with current employees.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@citygirl

You cant always get more time, while its certainly a strategy, the IS is just as likely to say no, and if they do they might put you in contact with someone really fast. Of course you can ask and you may get it, but the other IS your waiting on may not be inclined to speed things up, especially if they are waiting on someone like you, who is also waiting for another offer at their top choice. So yes there are times you can get or create some more decision time, but the offer could just as easily vanish.
citygirl

Post by citygirl »

@psyguy
If you noticed I said from "my" recent experience this is what happened. I'm not saying that it is going to work in every case but this is what happened to me.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@citygirl

You stated "You can always buy time by asking to speak or email with current employees.", and my post was a caution that this is not always or even true a majority of time.
Cooldude

Post by Cooldude »

Schools always give deadlines for acceptance in my experience.
squaretortoise

Post by squaretortoise »

Thank you for the advice! Really helpful!

I ended up directly asking if I could have until Tuesday this week to just clarify some logistical things, as well as to talk with current teachers, and they agreed kindly. Obviously this is my one and only experience and example-but wanted to share in case someone comes looking at this thread :)
business88

Post by business88 »

squaretortoise wrote:
> Thank you for the advice! Really helpful!
>
> I ended up directly asking if I could have until Tuesday this week to just
> clarify some logistical things, as well as to talk with current teachers,
> and they agreed kindly. Obviously this is my one and only experience and
> example-but wanted to share in case someone comes looking at this thread :)

Well, good luck with your offers and finding the right match for you. I'm curious, which countries did you apply or are you seeking employment?
squaretortoise

Post by squaretortoise »

Thanks! Was kind of looking all over the place, but the ones I was waiting on and the one I ended up accepting were in Guatemala and Thailand :)