Recommended doctoral programs

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@HereThereEverywhere

You should still be applying to UK Unis, Brexit isnt going to change very much, the UK Unis negotiated the matriculation MOUs a year ago.

Other than that where are you? While an online Uni might be your reflexive choice, you should first look around locally for a Uni that has an appropriate doctoral program.

Do you want to do a Ph.D (D.Phil), and if you do, do you want a taught program or a research program? If not a Ph.D a professional doctorate such as Ed.D or something esoteric like a D.Art Teaching (Doctor of Arts Teaching) or something less related to edu like a D.Prof (Doctor of Professional Studies)? Is edu your preference or a another content subject area?
HereThereEverywhere

Re: Recommended doctoral programs

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Do you still recommend Bath?

I’m in Poland. A quick search doesn’t show me anything that is available in my area. Edu is the area I want to study. I am thinking a taught course would be better, but that is on the assumption that some of the courses will be valuable to me. Perhaps I’m wrong there. I would consider an Ed.d but at the moment I can’t fathom a way to take what I am interested in and make it something actionable in a classroom the way that an Ed.d is described.

Say I did take the Ed.D path with Bath. The way it looks to me that would mean about three years, two to take the units offered and than probably another one year to complete the thesis. Taking the units would mean spending 1-3 weeks during the summer or winter for face to face class time followed up by 160 hours of research work and submission. Then and advisor is assigned and you begin a research thesis which follows pretty normal procedure to be defended/presented when ready.

The Ph.d just skips the first bit and goes right to the research with advisor? The main difference in the thesis being that 90,000 words are required vs. the Ed.d’s 45,000?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@HereThereEverywhere

I do, however over the years Ive discovered that my experience was harder than others. The students for example that do the Ed.D from Portsmouth or the Ed.D./Ph.D from Nottingham had an easier time.

Yes its possible. I cant imagine getting the thesis done in a year. First its not even a whole year, candidates have to defend in March at the latest to apply for conferral/graduation in that year which is barely 9 months (from June), since you arent admitted to candidacy until June of the previous term, and you dont meet with your dissertation supervisor until August, you'd have to go to your supervisor in August with the research all done and they like it. Second, even at 45K words (a Ph.D is 90,000 and an M.Phil is 70,000) thats an inane amount of work, its not just the composing and drafting, its the research behind it. It takes a month just to get IRB approval if your doing any kind of instrumental assessment directly working with child subjects add an additional 2-4 weeks if you have to go to the IRB-H because your giving them something as simple as sugar. Most students take a year just to do the writing. The only way I have seen it happen is if your really well prepared and you go into the program working on your thesis knowing what your doing, and seeking out a tutor from day 1. That way you can use your thesis work to guide you taught units so that when you finish, you have all the research and data and then you take 6 months to write it. Thats a lot for part time work, which really means your doing it full time. Then you have to defend and the hearing panel has to pass you without revisions (though with revisions that are minor could see it done before the end of the year). Forget it if they send it back for revisions without the pass, you wont get it done in time to defend again and even if you did you wont be able to schedule another defense in the short time left.

The Ph.D (research Ph.D) skips the taught units and doubles down on the dissertation length. Its not just more writing though, for the Ed.D you have a lot more flexibility in what the research inquiry can be. It could be a IS improvement plan, a very involved case study, a curriculum alignment, it could be a lot of things. For a research Ph.D. its for all practical purposes going to require you to do some form of traditional research. Research Ph.Ds are best described as "whipping the horse" you take one big problem, aggregate it to one small problem and then you ana1yze it to death. Were talking 100+ pages just for the lit review, which you actually want more, because methods (procedures, protocols, instrumentation and apparatus) is going to be woefully short and word counts/page lengths are typically cited as exclusive of tables, graphs and figures which means your results is also relatively short, meaning the rest of the dissertation is the discussion. A page of lit review is a lot easier to write than a page of discussion. There are some efficiencies you can pursue in a Ph.D such as modeling proposals (monte-carlo ana1yze, meta ana1yze, etc.) that can save you some time and frustration (data ana1yze is generally gets expedited or exempted IRB review) but they get agonizingly boring and you have to have a dissertation committee that really likes the math.
buffalofan

Re: Recommended doctoral programs

Post by buffalofan »

IMO, any doctoral program that is going to cost you US $1000+ per credit makes no sense on a teacher salary. I looked into a few of these some years back (some were more like $1500 per credit) and there was just no way to justify the cost, especially when there is a very real chance that you will never finish and end up ABD.