Outward Facing / Progressive Schools

Outward Facing / Progressive Schools

Post by 87654321 »

Dear All,

I work at a large 'Tier 1' (don't like this term) school in Europe and an outsider looking in would see the school as a really good place to work - money, PD opportunities, supportive admin etc. However, the school has a reputation for being 'inward facing' and not particularly innovative. The aim is to start building connections with progressive schools around the world.

Does the community have any views / recommendations / experience of progressive schools? I believe this post is acceptable for the forum as I am keen to solicit general views rather than 'evaluation type comments'.

Many thanks for you time and support.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

Is this for you personally for professional development or as an initiative of your IS?

Could you describe what you mean as progressive? Its a very couture aspect of Pop.Ed that means a lot of different things depending who you ask. Ive heard ITs describe IB as progressive and others describe it as non-progressive.

Re: Outward Facing / Progressive Schools

Post by 87654321 »

Initiative for the school

Basically schools that have a reputation for being progressive and forward thinking - strong programmes, welcoming environment, innovative teaching and learning, innovative use of IT

Thanks
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@87654321

In EU IE id look at IS Brussels and IS Frankfurt. UWCs consortium of chain ISs have an appropriate ethos and philosophy. In Asia DE id look at the MOE in SG. From a national perspective Id be remiss if i didnt mention Finland and NE.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

There's a growing network of democratic schools across the globe. In these schools the students of all ages take responsibility for their own learning, and for the principles that govern their school community. There is no prescribed curriculum and the students choose their own activities and associate with whom they please.
The Sudbury Schools are the most popular but you can find established schools in many countries.
There are many links to other articles included in here: http://alternativestoschool.com/article ... c-schools/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ic_schools
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Its quite subjective, but for me independent schools in the US are also a great source of inspiration. A short list of more progressive schools for me would include:
Punaho, for teaching staff quality and training
Harker, for their entrepreneurship program
KIPP for working with disadvantaged youth
Castilleja for creating their own advanced curriculum

International schools I would also consider (I'm trying not to break forum rules here)
Western Academy Beijing
Concordia International School Shanghai
Singapore American School
American School of Bombay
New International School Thailand
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

I would also suggest looking at some of the work going on in Scotland - at least in theory if not in practice. Curriculum for Excellence was designed to bring in some innovative styles and allow teachers more freedom to teach - unfortunately its success has been stymied by cuts from both the Scottish Government and local government as well as a reduction in teacher numbers.

That said, some of the work on things like formative assessment, children's rights etc are pretty forward thinking.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

I would agree with that, but it would be a tedious investigation, its there but theres a lot of noise to sift though.