School in another country that insists on an in-person visit

jschott

School in another country that insists on an in-person visit

Post by jschott »

Good position at a state school in Germany. The school refuses to do a Skype interview, wants me to come there to interview. I'm inclined to do it--at my expense, of course--but am also fully aware that it might not amount to anything.

What would your attitude toward such a situation be? Part of me is indignant at the lack of accommodation, which suggests they don't value my candidacy much--a potential red flag.
joe30

Re: School in another country that insists on an in-person v

Post by joe30 »

I'd never even consider spending hundreds of dollars for an interview. Especially in WE.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i know that i wouldn't do it unless they were to pay. if i was in-country or neighbouring country - sure. but everyone is different. best of luck to you.

v.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I would be very hesitant. Is this through that Bundesland's ministry? Also, what kind of pay are they offering? Sounds a bit off.
jschott

Post by jschott »

Thank you for the advice. They are probably searching for someone local and did not expect to get my application. Once they did, they weren't enthused enough to turn on the computer. I should pass.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

I had this exact same situation happen to me 15 years ago with a Tier 1 school. I was in my 20s, a young educator with only a few years experience, and I was just trying to break into international education. After exchanging a couple of emails, instead of a phone interview, they requested that I fly to them at my own expense. I simply couldn't afford it at that point in my life. Very reluctantly, I sat down and wrote the following email (thinking I was losing my big chance at breaking into a fantastic international school), which I am glad I saved:

Thank-you for the quick reply. As I mentioned before, I am VERY interested in the (specific teaching) position. I believe I would be a good fit at (1st tier international school). However,I didn't realize that I would need to fly over to (1st tier international school) to interview in person at my expense.

Nonetheless, I researched airfares through travel agents and via the web, and have not found any reasonable airfares for the weekend of June 9th. They are quite expensive due to the short notice. I am hesitant to take on this type of expense when I have not even been offered a job. Is there any other alternative you would consider in lieu of me traveling to (fantastic city where the IS is located) at my expense? Would (the Director of school) consider traveling to (my city) for the interview?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Young, Naive Teacher

I find it particularly hilarious that I asked if the Director would fly to ME for the interview! LOL! I was lucky they were desperate to fill the position as it was June already. They eventually backed down and settled for a couple of phone interviews.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with the prior contributors.
This actually isnt uncommon in municipal ISs, they have policies that are dictated to them by regional and local authorities. They may very well not be able to meet their hiring requirements with a virtual interview. They wont accommodate you, because they cant accommodate you.
I wouldnt do it, it very likely wont amount to anything, they likely dont have an OSH pack, and the coin is going to be average for a LH.
Aside from this there are ISs that simply are set in their ways and do things old school, there is a very nice IS in Italy that is managed by student parents, all moms essentially. They absolutely wont hire anyone they dont interview in person F2F, and they dont care where you are, and you must travel at your own expense. They dont care what the field, the circuit, or anyone thinks about their practice, they do it their way. However if you accommodate them you are very likely to get an offer (maybe not one you would accept), but when they give you an interview invitation its because you are on a short list of one.
senator

Post by senator »

I think it's pretty simple.

If you can afford the expense of the travel, even if you don't get the job, then do it.

I would not since I think it is damned inconsiderate for a school to ask this and if they demand this before you even get a job, what will they demand once they "own" you.
MaryAnne

Post by MaryAnne »

I have a different view. Three years ago, with no international experience, I applied directly to a British school in Korea, more or less on a sudden impulse. I was invited to a typical (I did not then know it was typical) British selection day at the parent school in London. For me, this meant a transatlantic flight, plus three days in London. I requested a Skype interview, but as a teaching "audition" was required, I was instead offered reimbursement of 25% of my expenses. Against my better judgment, I went. At the least, I had an expensive adventure. To my undying amazement I was hired at a pretty good school, with a better than average package to teach IB math in spite of being over 55, and having a dependent spouse. ((I did switch schools at the end of initial two year contract, to an even better, in some ways, position)

The adventure has been, and continues to be, incredible. An impulse, and a willingness to spend some money I could not really afford, has led to a lifestyle for the final several years of a long career that I would never have dreamed of.

Just my two cent's worth.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Yes, I too took a chance by paying my own way to fly from China to the US to interview with my current organization (DoDDS). It wasn't even for an actual position but more like a job fair cattle call for them to build up a pool of applicants that they had interviewed and rated.

So, I flew thousands of miles for a 30 minute interview that I had no idea would actually help me out significantly or not. A couple of months later I got a call from a different principal of a school in Germany who asked me the exact same 7 questions they had asked me at the cattle call. I got the job but never did find out if the first interview had any impact on getting the 2nd interview or the job.

So, if you really want to live/work in Germany, do some research to see if you actually meet their requirements and would have a legitimate chance at being hired (and would actually want/possibly like the job) and then decide if you are willing to take a risk.
mamava

Post by mamava »

On our first IS interview we were asked to go from TZ to London to meet 2 schools outside of the fair. We were naive and did it--one was a no-go, the other started us on our international school life. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't do it...a good online interview, while somewhat artificial, can be sufficient. The only caveat is that my husband was interviewing for an administrative job, for which the schools were more particular. If it were a teaching job, I don't think I'd do it.
twostars

Post by twostars »

global_nomad wrote:
> I had this exact same situation happen to me 15 years ago with a Tier 1
> school. I was in my 20s, a young educator with only a few years experience,
> and I was just trying to break into international education. After
> exchanging a couple of emails, instead of a phone interview, they requested
> that I fly to them at my own expense. I simply couldn't afford it at that
> point in my life. Very reluctantly, I sat down and wrote the following
> email (thinking I was losing my big chance at breaking into a fantastic
> international school), which I am glad I saved:
>
> Thank-you for the quick reply. As I mentioned before, I am VERY interested
> in the (specific teaching) position. I believe I would be a good fit at
> (1st tier international school). However,I didn't realize that I would need
> to fly over to (1st tier international school) to interview in person at my
> expense.
>
> Nonetheless, I researched airfares through travel agents and via the web,
> and have not found any reasonable airfares for the weekend of June 9th.
> They are quite expensive due to the short notice. I am hesitant to take on
> this type of expense when I have not even been offered a job. Is there any
> other alternative you would consider in lieu of me traveling to (fantastic
> city where the IS is located) at my expense? Would (the Director of
> school) consider traveling to (my city) for the interview?
>
> I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Young, Naive Teacher
>
> I find it particularly hilarious that I asked if the Director would fly to
> ME for the interview! LOL! I was lucky they were desperate to fill the
> position as it was June already. They eventually backed down and settled
> for a couple of phone interviews.

Wait...you got the job in the end?!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@twostars

It would appear the OP did, as they stated the IS was desperate.