UAE-What's a good package?

counselme

UAE-What's a good package?

Post by counselme »

There are so many schools in UAE. So many jobs. How to decide what is a good package.
What is a good salary (annual 12 month salary $US). Let's assume comfortable housing, medical, annual travel home is also included. What are the potential savings given travel and reasonable living for a single?

As always, thanks in advance.

Happy New Year, Everyone.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

High 5 figures or reaching 6 figures. The savings potential are across the board. You can live frugally and as a homebody and you can save very, very well. Wake up, breakfast, go to work, leave work come home have dinner, watch a DVD, spend some time on the computer, read a little and save a lot. Its just not my experience, living in the UAE and the ME is very boring, and ITs tend to self medicate, everything worth doing costs coin.
joe30

Re: UAE-What's a good package?

Post by joe30 »

Agreed, you want to be pulling in serious money for the hardship of having to live in that giant cat litter box.
vandsmith

Re: Response

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> High 5 figures or reaching 6 figures. The savings potential are across the
> board. You can live frugally and as a homebody and you can save very, very
> well. Wake up, breakfast, go to work, leave work come home have dinner,
> watch a DVD, spend some time on the computer, read a little and save a lot.
> Its just not my experience, living in the UAE and the ME is very boring,
> and ITs tend to self medicate, everything worth doing costs coin.

wow, that would be an extremely good job then. are you counting housing as part of the package? if so then i understand. if not, then, i guess i didn't know any teachers raking that kind of coin!

UAE - depending on where you are (abu dhabi and dubai are the only options in my opinion) is an easy place to live. how much coin you save depends on what you like to do. there isn't a ton to do and you can wrap up a lot of the domestic things to do over a month or so. traveling around the region is awesome though.

as a teaching couple my wife and i saved about $20,000 without trying much. if you're really diligent you could save more as a couple. IF you're pulling in what psyguy says in salary, i don't see a reason why you couldn't save double or more what i did.

good luck.

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

Total comp, so yes includes the OSH pack.