How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

SinaloaPaisa

How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Post by SinaloaPaisa »

Curious of the difficulty and guidelines of this.
tangchao

Re: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Post by tangchao »

Difficult apparently. I have a friend from the US who tried to get a job there but was politely refused as his qualifications did not match those required for a teacher registration at the state he wanted to go. Australia is similar to the US insofar that the states are responsible for education and teacher registration. You would need to identify which state you wish to work in and try for registration with the relevant body in that state before going any further.
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

I don't think that hard

get registered, start relief teaching and apply for jobs and soon enough u will have a contract

I worked with a girl who came from South Africa, that's what she did...

She now has a permanent teaching job
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

my initial reaction is that it's easier for citizens of other commonwealth countries to go and teach there than it is for us citizens. growing up in canada, i remember seeing a bunch of aussie exchange teachers trading spots with canadian teachers for a year - some of whom ended up staying for longer. my reaction is not based on fact however, and it might be simple for us teachers...

v.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Teaching (I think just secondary) was recently on the list of jobs that would help you qualify for an immigrant visa. I know someone who did this with US credentials recently. The downside is that places where they badly need teachers tends to be in rural Australia. It'd be a lot like teaching in the far north First Nation communities in Canada, except it's hot rather than cold.

Also, I was talking with a colleague of mine who years ago taught in national schools in Oz. At the time in his state you were hired by the state and transferring from less desirable locations to more desirable locations took time.

There's a reason there are a lot of Australian teachers on the international school circuit.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Having your credentials recognized isnt difficult assuming youre from a traditional preparation program. Its more difficult getting an offer, many of the DSs and ISs want in person interviews, and the recruiting process is very difficult if you arent already on location or available.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

bish180b wrote:
> I don't think that hard
>
> get registered, start relief teaching and apply for jobs and soon enough u
> will have a contract
>
> I worked with a girl who came from South Africa, that's what she did...
>
> She now has a permanent teaching job

Apparently an exchange can be arranged through your union. I'm aware of teachers from Germany doing this too.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

NZ seems to be comparably assertive in recruiting.
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

Hard but not impossible. I looked into it a few years ago. Got my teaching cert. recognized (which took 3 months and a load of expense) but went no further. It's very expensive to even apply for the visa, and you need to make sure you have enough points and that your job is on the needed list.