Whoa...Back It Up!

beanie

Re: Whoa...Back It Up!

Post by beanie »

Sorry, I don't think what I intended to say came across in the right way. The school may very well be aware and advertising falsely, but it may also not. As this scenario happened to me in the reverse, I didn't to say anything about the discrepancy when I would have had I been in the original poster's situation.

Of course there are numerous confounding variables at play. At the end of the day, if it's not suitable compensation for the role/location I would pass.
splendid

Post by splendid »

Shwanda - do it happen to be with a school the Chinese coast?
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

I can't any more. I just found out by doing online research that the head and principal at the other school (not the one that offered me nearly half what I was expecting based on their false Search profile) that I interviewed with and was offered a job at are both leaving! WTF?! Everything about their philosophy and school structure is unique to them. I have no idea how the new people will or won't carry on with the way the school is currently run. Now I have no options because I would never take a job at a place where both of my bosses are unknown to me until my first day on the job. LHM! China and West Africa are out for me. Done.
mamava

Post by mamava »

At every school we have interviewed at, we have asked specifically if the information listed on the SA site was valid or up-to-date. Of course, they could lie, but it's not in their interest to at the interview, because the reality of the contract would show them up.

Are you new to international teaching? I ask because being hired and then finding out that the leadership that hired you is leaving is not unusual. In my experience, schools can benefit so strongly from dynamic charismatic leadership, but a school that is inherently "personality driven" is unstable over time. It would mean that as soon as someone left, the programs and the processes wouldn't be sustainable. A good school has to be able to sustain and grow as teachers and admin (both good and bad) come and go.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

I am new to international teaching, but I am not new to this world. Both of these schools misrepresented themselves to me. To be honest, being from the inner city I am very quick to pick up on people because I had to in order to survive. These two schools were very nice to offer me jobs, but I get the sense that both are pretty shady places. Onward and upward. London here I come.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

While I do think the first school acted poorly (with the caveat that your recourse was clear - don't take the offer) I don't think the second scenario here is comparable. There's no guarantees the guy who hired you is going to be your boss when we're talking about a role 9 months down the line.

If the money and location are good, don't sweat about the other stuff. They'll always be a problem if you look hard enough for one.
sid

Post by sid »

The second situation is pretty normal. Admin who are leaving still have to do the hiring for next year - who else would?
They are also likely hiring their replacements, if not completely in charge than certainly very influential in the process. Probably they pick successors who will have similar visions.
counselme

Poor practice

Post by counselme »

Humm, sounds fishy. Bad practice on their behalf. You need to tell your representative at your agency about the discrepancy.
I would tell the school what you WILL accept and why. If you can't get what was advertised, I'd take that as a red flag. What else is not going to be honoured: accommodation, gratuity, visas, medical, ProD funds, flights home, yearly calendar book ends, holidays? Sure they can say that the quote is out of date, but that is sloopy on their behalf. Seriously. That would be like a candidate lying about their availability: "Well I know I sad I could start in August, but I'll be there in September, ok?" Maybe offer to work half the day at their rate :)

Serioualy though: They are recruiting on a reputable site and need to review the quotes bi annually, at least. I think SA and the other sites should insist on this. What a waste of your time, only to be disappointed. I'm sorry this happened to you and likely others. I think it is a misrepresentation and I would ask for what they posted, their error or not, or apply for another job. They may also be expecting you to come back at them and have a bargaining mentality.

Ultimately, it is an offer and yours to take or say a big "no thanks."
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@shawanda

Its fairly common for the departing leadership to still conduct the recruiting for the IS once they depart. I disagree with @sid, arriving leadership can recruit for their future IS as easily as their current one. Its just less common to do, this early in the year.
They may or may not be hiring their replacements, it depends on a number of factors. They may not even have any input in who the leaderships replacement is. They could also have a great deal of controlling influence in who the replacement is. You just dont know.