How do you get IB certified?

Lastname_Z

How do you get IB certified?

Post by Lastname_Z »

I know that some schools will pay for you to be certified, but it seems like it's becoming less common and I would like to make myself more marketable by costing the school less money. Plus I'm genuinely interested in IB. So with that said, I'm a little confused about what the best option is.

Do I do an IB educators certificate through a University?

http://www.ibo.org/professional-develop ... tificates/

OR

Do I take part in one of the workshops offered by the IB?

http://www.ibo.org/professional-develop ... -teachers/

For those of you who took IB certification before going to an IB school, how did you do it?
Lastname_Z

Re: How do you get IB certified?

Post by Lastname_Z »

I know there is no formal system for accepting applicants but I was just wondering which route would be the best to take. I personally think the workshop route is the easiest and I know it's the route that most schools take to "certify" their teachers.
Thames Pirate

Re: How do you get IB certified?

Post by Thames Pirate »

Both attending an online and an in person workshop get you certified, but schools will take uncertified experience over certified without experience. That said, getting certified is a start toward getting that experience--it's better than nothing and shows commitment to the philosophy.

So do the online (or in person if that is available--the beauty there being the real-time communication) workshop if you think it will help your chances. Obviously if you can get into an IB school and get them to send you, that is preferable.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are two different terms. IB "Trained" and IB "Certified"

The Professional Development requirements vary by program (PYP, MYP, DIP) but the requirement is "Training" this means attending the specific level/cat 1 workshop for what you will be teaching. For PYP its "Making the PYP Happen", for MYP its <subject> Implementing the MYP Curriculum, for DIP its the "Subject Workshop". Technically any category 1 workshop that isnt "Introduction to the DP" meet the authorization PD requirements.

There are some ISs that provide as part of their comp IB certification. Workshops will authorize you in specific subjects or all of primary in the case of PYP. If you obtain one of the T&L (Teaching and Learning) IB certificates at standard level you will meet the PD authorization requirements regardless of what you teach within a program (PYP, MYP, DIP) so if you are credentialed in maths, biology, chemistry and physics, you would need a category 1 workshop for each of those 4 to meet the PD authorization requirements in DIP, and potentially 2 more (maths and science) if you were going to teach MYP. If you had a T&L certificate in DIP it would meet the requirements for all 4 DIP subjects. If you had an Advance T&L certificate the division would no longer matter, you would meet the PD authorization for any and all subjects across all programs.
I qualified potentially for MYP because only one faculty member within an IS need to be trained per subject, otherwise the in IS "launching the MYP" workshop is all they are mandated to do.
This is where i tangentially agree somewhat with @Thames Pirate, what happens is you have a secondary IT who is teaching a mix of DIP and MYP and most ISs only send or provide one training a year or per contract, or what ever is the least costly, so they train the IT in DIP and just give them some in-service PD for MYP, because that will meet the requirements, assuming a large enough department and IS. Its not that ISs treat ignore MYP, its that the IB still hasnt figured out what it wants MYP to be, the trend seems appears to be going towards DIP "lite".

You can train at a workshop either F2F typically over a weekend (about 17 hours) in various locations costs are around USD$1K plus travel and expenses. You can also do it online over the course of several weeks at about a cost of USD$800, though USD$600 is about the cheapest. Both workshops provide PD certificates, that never expire.
A T&L certificate is typically a certificate or degree program, with the advance T&L certificate the completion of a Masters in some form of "International Education". Its possible now to get a standard T&L certificate by portfolio. The cost of the portfolio is about USD$2K and takes a few months. The certificate and degree programs vary by institution, some, the ones from private Uni can be in the tens of thousands of USD$.

There are also two comparable leadership certificates you can pursue as well.

There is an ongoing though diminished debate and discussion if IB T&L certificates are considered professional credentials for practice.

I have an IB T&L certificate, I have a lot of credentials and the T&L certificate was more economical than doing workshops in all of the subjects.

If you are a western trained DT you will find the level/cat 1 workshops incredibly boring and rudimentary. they were really designed for non western DTs/ITs who have a more classical/traditional meds/peds thats "drill and kill" & "chalk and talk" (rote learning, direct teach, lecture, etc.). If you have any modern western training it will be a revisit of what you already know.

F2F is the preferred way to go, though the cost is substantially higher for a new IB IT, it provides a couple days of valuable networking, that you could leverage into contacts or potentially a job/offer.

However, the rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience, recruiters want experience and demonstrated performance not a pretty IB certificate. They all know what the level 1 workshops are like, and there value is minimal if anything.