Blacklisting

Lebenstraum

Blacklisting

Post by Lebenstraum »

Curious about the concept of blacklisting....what "offenses" can get someone on the list?
What about withdrawing from consideration late in the interview process for a late spring hire because the school didn't have places for your 2 children? Is it worth applying again, several years later?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Blacklisting

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Much (too much) has been posted on this subject over the years. Search blacklist in this forum and you can read for hours. This is a good place to start:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ist#p11713

Basically there is no one official blacklist per se (in many people's opinions). There are networks of some admin (and forums) where complaints about teachers and candidates can be aired but in my understanding you would generally really have to piss someone off royally and/or be a major screw-up/danger to students to be honored with their attention.

After writing that I realize that you are probably talking about being blacklisted by a particular school (but chose to leave it since other people may have more general questions). If the school did not have places for your children I can't really see how they could could hold it against you (of course anyone can hold anything against anyone if they are being petty/taking it personally). There is also a decent chance that the admin types involved have moved on already. I would certainly apply again as it costs you nothing but a bit of time and emotional investment in the outcome.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is no IE blacklist, and I agree with @WT123 a lot has been written on the topic, I believe the seminal post still has one of the highest views of all topics on ISR.

AS far an individual IS and its leadership it depends on the maturity of the recruiter and leadership. Most leadership would just consider you dead to them, from their perspective youre petty and you wasted their time. This changes if the admin moved on, depending how much ownership and human resources staff was involved in the decision.
However, the cost of entry and application is extremely low, a minute to send off an application packet will give you a direct answer. Either you hear back with a rejection, hear nothing back or hear back with interest. You will find with less time and effort than what you spent writing this inquiry.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

A ruse used by bottom feeder schools to protect their bottom feeding habits, that's all.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

Lebenstraum wrote:
> Curious about the concept of blacklisting....what "offenses" can
> get someone on the list?
> What about withdrawing from consideration late in the interview process for
> a late spring hire because the school didn't have places for your 2
> children? Is it worth applying again, several years later?

i think not having places for your kids is a legit reason to withdraw.

v.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I wasnt going to comment on it, but the lack of places suggests that the IS didnt want the IT after the signing point for some reason, and was looking for an excuse to get out of the contract.
Lebenstraum

Post by Lebenstraum »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just to clarify - we withdrew before we were even offered the positions, but the interviews were in late May for two unexpected openings. At the time my kids were not school-age or we would have sent them to the local school system, but instead, we would have needed to pay for two kids in preschool/daycare in a city known for a very high cost of living. We were not being petty about it, just trying to be financially responsible.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

OP you mean reapplying to the same school you withdrew your previous application from (albeit a few years later)? I doubt the school would blacklist you for that, and if the admin has changed then go for it. I withdrew an application at a prestigious school in China because on reflection at that time in my life it would not have been a positive move. Under the right circumstances I might reapply in future if it fits my life/family/career plans. Why stress about it, just reapply and see if they want to interview you.