How do you handle a move to a different hemisphere?

Nutella

How do you handle a move to a different hemisphere?

Post by Nutella »

I'm wondering how people dealt with starting a new position in a different hemisphere. As in, you were teaching somewhere in the northern hemisphere, and then got a job in the southern hemisphere. I was looking at Chile, for instance, but I don't know how I would make it work since their positions start in January, not August.
mamava

Re: How do you handle a move to a different hemisphere?

Post by mamava »

Most international school in the southern hemisphere follow the same schedule at northern hemisphere schools--from July/August through June. I work in Brazil and all the international schools here follow that schedule as did our school in Tanzania. Friend who work in South Africa also follow that schedule.
Nutella

Post by Nutella »

mamava wrote:
> Most international school in the southern hemisphere follow the same
> schedule at northern hemisphere schools--from July/August through June. I
> work in Brazil and all the international schools here follow that schedule
> as did our school in Tanzania. Friend who work in South Africa also follow
> that schedule.

Thank you! I didn't realize that. The school I was looking at in Chile must be an exception.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I find that most schools that follow the Jan-Dec calendar are in fact national/local schools. If you find an international school that follows that calendar, it's probably a domestic school culturally. That is not good or bad in my opinion, but if you want a school that is "international" in character, the one you are referring to probably isn't it.
Nutella

Post by Nutella »

reisgio wrote:
> I find that most schools that follow the Jan-Dec calendar are in fact
> national/local schools. If you find an international school that follows
> that calendar, it's probably a domestic school culturally. That is not good
> or bad in my opinion, but if you want a school that is
> "international" in character, the one you are referring to
> probably isn't it.

That does make sense. I think you're probably right.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

These schools usually understand the coordination problem between the Southern and Northern Hemisphere and will wait for you, if you are the right candidate, to arrive. Though, it creates a bit of an issue because if you are done at one school in June, you have to turn around and start at another school in July that is half way through their school year. You would get a nice break in December, which is appealing. Often, the teacher you are replacing is going to end up at a school that starts on the Northern hemisphere schedule so the transition isn't that bad.

If these schools didn't do this, they would have a very limited candidate pool.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @reisgio, its typically a case of a host nation IS (more an independent/private DS for locals). You find the same scenario from Thailand to Japan with regions that have a non-western regional academic calendar. While an IS may wait for you, starting mid year is much harder than starting at the beginning. You have to hit the ground running and understand that more of the settling in process will be on your own. Many ISs regardless of calendar offer a winter break.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

aussie school i think in singapore or indonesia follows jan-dc sched.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Some schools on the Southern Hem calendar get out in December and recommence in March. Therefore, it's a lot longer break if you had to make a quick turnaround from a Northern Hem calendar at least you'd have an extended 'winter' break to regroup.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

My school in Chile starts the school year in July and ends in June with a long summer break from late December to early February. There haven't been too many difficulties with the change of hemispheres, other than finding it hard to get in the Christmas spirit with all this beautiful summer weather!