All Alone Out Here?

shawanda

All Alone Out Here?

Post by shawanda »

I have now applied to 28 jobs listed on Search in the last 70 days. I have gotten two responses taking a pass on me, which is fine, but other than those, no human responses via email showing interest or rejecting me. All of the job posts that I applied to are still listed. I am confused why a school would post for an in-demand position (based off of reading this forum) like mine in October and let it hang for this long without at least just emailing me no thanks. Am I all alone in this very quiet black hole of non-responsiveness? Very isolating feeling. About half of the jobs I've applied to were Oct and Nov. The rest have been in December! I have 15 years experience. 10 years IB. Good Lawd!!!!
bobbydylan84

Re: All Alone Out Here?

Post by bobbydylan84 »

I have nowhere near your experience and I am Social aStudies so very competitive. I have had no replies apart from automated ones to the applications I have made. I have read on TES forum that there seems to be significantly less postings this recruitment cycle; I am worried and can foresee a competitive January job fair in London in January. I always have the UK as back up ! Worse places to live .
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

How picky are you guys being with where you are applying? I've gotten a decent response rate 1/8 or so from schools in China/SEA albeit mostly from "lower tier" schools. Several of them I have interviewed with and said a polite "no" to but it helped my confidence and my interview game has improved throughout the fall.
bobbydylan84

Post by bobbydylan84 »

I am applying for jobs for which I am qualified however I am rejecting mega-city placements or hardship areas as I have a young daughter . I know that means I'm picky. I think SEARCH is a racket; they do not offer candidates any services beyond the database or the Jon fairs. Other recruitment services have screening interviews and actually touch base to see how the job search is going. I don't pay for SEARCH as I'm British and never would either. I have had one interview and it's been through an application on TES. I feel like of the Jon is on TES it actually exists, has a clear JD and a closing date.

Just my opinion based on experience.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

I have applied to jobs everywhere. Either these schools aren't on the horse yet or they must not like my name. Dayum!
mistyknight

Post by mistyknight »

I received an email from what has been mentioned as a Tier 1 school several times on here. I had my first interview with them tonight and it went well. They contacted me. I was surprised because I heard schools don't do that.

I'm on Search also. I haven't applied to that many schools. Maybe 5 at this point. I will apply to a few more tomorrow. I'm somewhat but not extremely selective. One school responded, one removed the post and I haven't heard from the others.

My associate had been great so far. Not overbearing, but doesn't ignore me. Sends emails with suggestions and information. Provided information about the school I interviewed with although the information was nothing I hadn't anyway known from my research.

At this point I'm trying to breathe and be patient.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

ISs post early looking for a prefered candidate, their first and second choice, for first night recruiting. Then they wait for recruiting season to start. What this means is your not their first night recruiting candidate, but once January comes and they either close or get a pass from their first night recruiting candidates they then explore the other applicants.

@bobbydylan84

SA doesnt work for you, they work for the IS, the ITs are the commodity not the client. When you get to the fair, youll see whys its often called a casting call of auditions.

@mistyknight

The rule is, when an IS wants you they act like they want you.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@Shawnda, have you spoken with your associate about your lack of responses? That would seem like a low level of responses for the number you've sent out especially if you do have IB experiences. If you have several dependents, that could explain it but there would seem to be something up if it's a high need position.

Eion
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

@eion_padraig

Nah, boo! Puh-lease. My Associate is wack. I am in this on my own, as are y'all. I will wait a bit longer, but if by the fair I haven't got any bites, and I coming into this fair a hot mess.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Just experience ain't matter these days. What kind of school you are at can be a deciding factor especially when you are aiming at elite/tier 1 schools. For example, if you are at one of the top 5 schools in Singapore, moving to a similar school in SE Asia shouldn't be that much of a problem. I know a top school in BKK that preferably hires teachers from this particular school in Japan and it's almost like a mutual exchange program between the two. Once you get your foot into a big name school, you can expect decent responses.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

My associate keeps pretty good contact with me. In my humble opinion, SA is what you make out of it. I made sure I was clear from the beginning what my greater career ambitions were, and they have done a nice job advising me on which schools/areas of the word to target in order to realize those goals.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

@helloiswill

Search is not what you make of it. There are associates who simply do not respond to calls and email. That's their MO. You may have gotten one that actually sees himself or herself as a counselor to you, but, girl, that is the exception to the rule.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Well, regardless shawanda you are not getting contacts or interviews. Not everyone is in the same boat as there are people who have already had offers and those who have even accepted offers.

If you're not going to try to use your associate as a resource, I'd recommend you have some other people look over your resume and cover letter you're sending. There might be something there that is hurting your chances given the experience you have and the fact you're not getting responses. If it's a problem with your references you're just not going know.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

@eion_padraig

I can't utilize my associate as a resource, as this person is non-responsive. Clearly you have never had an associate like this. I am doing all that I can with the resources that are available to me.

I understand that not everybody is in the same boat, did I say otherwise? You don't have to rub it in and be smug.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

@Shawanda if you do indeed have as much experience as you stated, I don't think you have any reason to be worried about finding a comfortable place to work for next year. I think what @Eion_Paidraig was commenting on was the fact that for some unknown reason its not working right now. You should branch out and try to find a resource or mentor that can be of service to you. As a colleague, I'd be happy to look over your resumé/cover letter. Feel free to PM me. I have a significantly less experience than you but I think I'm pretty good at sketching out a decent CV.