Why are there so many elementary school art jobs?

Art Teacher

Why are there so many elementary school art jobs?

Post by Art Teacher »

Hi All

I am stunned at the amount of elementary art jobs on Search. I am a secondary art teacher and cannot understand why most jobs are elementary or whole school art. Is there a shortage of these teachers? Are they mostly classroom teachers who like art?

It is frustrating for art teachers since this is a totally different job and schools won't even consider applications from qualified secondary art teachers.
vandsmith

Re: Why are there so many elementary school art jobs?

Post by vandsmith »

i think they try to go 'cheap' sometimes but to be honest, i've never heard of a specific primary art teacher qualification.

v.
dude

Post by dude »

I teach elementary art. And my certification (from the state of Florida) is for KG-6th grade. It's for home room teaching, but it covers art as well. As to why there are so many positions open, I would guess that we are a shifty bunch, prone to moving more often. And as schools grow, they shift from one art teacher for the whole school, to a dedicated elementary art teacher.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Art Teacher - some years it is a year of plenty. The skies open and a certain flavor of job falls to the ground in countless drops all over the place.

But...ah, but! Other years, a little cloud goes by and drops a single drop here, and a single drop there, and another...and then disappears. The ground is parched and dry.

Obviously, this is a year the skies opened. Next year might be more moderate - or parched.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @SJ, many fields are cyclic. In regards to art, where seeing more specialized subject art ITs as opposed to the HRT teaching art.

Many art credentials are either all grades (K12/KS) or they are secondary, and primary credentialed HRTs include art, as well as other fine and performing arts.

ISs wont accept a secondary Art only IT, not because of an art issue, but lack of primary training with that age group. You need to think of a primary art IT as a primary IT first and an art IT second, from the perspective of the IS.

There are regulatory authorities that have a specific primary art credential (Hawaii for example).