How many interviews?

Art Teacher

How many interviews?

Post by Art Teacher »

How many interviews do you typically have to go through in order to land a job (excluding at job fairs)? I know it is not an exact science, but please share your experiences.
sid

Re: How many interviews?

Post by sid »

Typically 1 to 3. Variables include the school, post, time of year.
carilyn

Post by carilyn »

I had 3 interviews. The first with Principal and assistant principal, the 2nd with the support services department and the 3rd with the director.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

I've had six so far this fall and two more later this week. However, I have applied to just about every position that I am qualified for. I turned down 3 schools, wasn't offered a position by a fourth and am waiting to hear back on two. I have a feeling that I will accept a job by either of these last two schools if they make an offer.
sid

Post by sid »

Ahh, I see the 2 possible interpretations of the question now.

Did you mean "How many interviews with a single school before they offer?" That's what I was answering before. Typically 1-3.

Or did you mean "How many interviews total, with a bunch of different schools, before someone makes me an offer I like enough to accept?" That one I don't have an answer to. But I think in my last search I applied to dozens of schools. I'd have to check my spreadsheet to count the interviews, and I really don't feel like revisiting that.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

With any one IS typically its one interview but could be many more. It depends when you interview with the leadership member that can I hire you. If your interviewing with a coordinator or HOD or an AP/VP/DP you will have more. Executive leadership is defined as the ones with selection authority, which could be a principal. There are interview processes that involve up to 9 interviews.
1) Recruiter
2) Division AP
3) Department HOD
4) Academic Coordinator
5) Faculty Rep
6) Student Rep
7) Parent Rep
8) Ownership Rep
9) HOS

How many interviews until you get an offer (looking around for @sid), depends how long a piece of string is. Some ITs do dozens of interviews without an offer. Some land an offer on their first interview. There are so many factors that could go into it. If your interviewing with mostly lower third tier ISs in hardship regions getting an offer by your third interview wouldnt be uncommon. If you are only interviewing with second tier ISs and you have no IB experience you may never get an offer in a particular recruiting cycle.