Election Results

Lebenstraum

Election Results

Post by Lebenstraum »

Just curious - do you think there will be much of an impact on the IE field with the election of Donald Trump?
chilagringa

Re: Election Results

Post by chilagringa »

Maybe more teachers will leave the USA?

More likely, there could be economic fallout from his policies, which would make schools lose students.

Today, anyways, my school seems to have a collective hangover.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

> Today, anyways, my school seems to have a collective hangover.

i'll second that. then there's the one idiot trump-loving yank in school smiling like a stupid puppy, blocking my coffee run in the morning. argh! whats worse is i often get mistaken as an american so now i have to do all THAT stuff too.

v.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Yes, also happens to me as a Canadian working in an American school... always get taken for an American.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I have never seen our school more depressed. Our monthly staff meeting was actually called off because of the results.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

Today things were very depressed at my school here in Charlotte, NC. I feel the school was affected especially hard because we have a 70%+ Latino student body. Last year, when ICE raids picked up, student attendance dropped dramatically. I hope nothing like last year happens again, though now I am less hopeful.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Hoping the market is not flooded by US teachers seeking an escape. With Drumph's power base consisting of the poorly educated, I do wonder what bodes for education in the US over the next 4 years.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Why Trump won? See condescension above ^

Simply deplorable :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Why Trump won? Voters over 44 and men. Mainly white.

That said, I looked at numbers crunched and Hillary didn't slide much from Obama's turnout in 2012 and Trump didn't go up tons from Romney's turnout in 2012. But that difference was enough to push him over the top and the Republicans with him. Still, over 40% of the electorate eligible to vote didn't.

I wish all Americans well with Donald and hope they all prosper under his administration.
10thmandown

Post by 10thmandown »

vandsmith wrote:
> > Today, anyways, my school seems to have a collective hangover.
>
> i'll second that. then there's the one idiot trump-loving yank in school smiling
> like a stupid puppy, blocking my coffee run in the morning. argh! whats worse is i
> often get mistaken as an american so now i have to do all THAT stuff too.
>
> v.

We have the same issue all the way over here in China. All of our foreign teachers are against him except one loudmouth from Florida. An African-American, no less. But, at least the Mexican-American teacher from Florida is against him, too.
senator

Post by senator »

Why Trump won? This article says it best:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/ ... index.html

And, FYI, I did not vote for Trump.

AND there will not be an exodus from America.

By the way, are you as hard on Brits, who voted for Brexit - who showed the same fear, ignorance, and stupidity as Trump voters -as you are on Americans?

It's time to think positively and band together now - you know, like we teach our students.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

I don't think public school teachers will give up their pension to teach at international schools. They might go on temporary leave to work abroad, but it's too early to predict any serious outcomes of Trump's ed policy. He hates Common Core, though. Some teachers might actually like it.
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

Never understood the conservative stance on abolishing Common Core. It's an opt-in curriculum. Any state can choose not to teach it if they develop their own.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Here's some great advice for you all: turn off your TV and stop following any and all politics. I stopped watching the news about 10 years ago and so live a life without thinking about all this rubbish.

So long as your job is good, the beer is cold, you're getting laid and have some cash in the bank, all is good. No need to give a damn about who is running this country or that country. I've only just found out this 'Trump' guy won today...and not a single care was given.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@joe30
How good your job is and will be depends on so many variables. During the 2009 recession, international schools laid off teachers and cut pay by 10-20%. I have seen colleagues nearing retirement losing major investments when their portfolios crashed. Your contract and paycheck are indirectly tied to both the local and the global economy. If the Chinese bubble bursts, thousands of Western teacher contracts, both within and outside the mainland, may not be renewed. Transient is the word often used to describe international school teachers' lives. If you can't increase your earning power, your 'some money in the bank' will be of little value and that requires thoughtful planning and investment. Unless you are a tenured public school teacher with prospects of some reasonable pension, ITs are not free from worries.