Question about PYP schools

southeast asia

Question about PYP schools

Post by southeast asia »

I am an American teacher, single, with 11 years of experience. 2 in the States then I worked for 5 years in PYP schools and then 4 years at a British school in Africa. 1 school was tier one and then I took the British School job because I really wanted the African experience at the time. Now I am wondering if I am no longer even marketable ( I hate British curriculum and will never consider it again) and I desperately miss PYP... Will the decent PYP schools consider me with only 5 years PYP experience now?
Glerky

Re: Question about PYP schools

Post by Glerky »

Yes. Yes they will. You are an experienced PYP teacher. They don't have to pay to train you. You will do fine. I wouldn't mention the "I hate UK curriculum." bit and frame it more as 'My pedagogical style is more suited for the PYP."

Good luck
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You will be fine. You can basically do nothing for a year before your resume begins to decay. You havent been doing nothing, you just changed curriculum. If you can still express current PYP meds/peds you will suffer no loss of marketability.
southeast asia

Re: Question about PYP schools

Post by southeast asia »

Thanks, I feel a little better! I did take one year out of teaching to work in education development in Kenya. I managed a team of 10 curriculum writers and edited all curriculum, lesson plans and textbooks created for 150 schools in the slums....I would think this would add and not hinder to my CV. Thanks for your advice!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@southeast asia

Education development isnt leaving teaching, that experience is certainly resume worthy. Leaving IE means, sitting in a hammock on a beach and doing nothing, or going back to Uni full time, or discovering yourself.