Questions for possible career changer

Post by geoguy »

Hello all, I am just reviving a thread I started some time back. I am very grateful for all the advice received so far and just have a few further queries please.

I am hoping to take the Missouri entry level (initial) credential cert this summer (if the testing centre in London is open etc). I was just wondering, when it is awarded (converted?) as QTS by TCL/NCTL does the initial cert still need to be renewed annually?

I noticed advice by @psyguy in another related post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7668) about different routes to a teaching credential (including Utah), would that also be a possibility for me if the MO cert route fails for some reason?
@psyguy also advised the OP about applying to leadership positions based on HYPS degrees. I have a masters and PhD in Geog from a top UK uni (although not Oxbridge) so may that same advice apply to me? Also, what about applying to positions before getting a teaching credential, might I be considered?

@psyguy, you previously advised me to aim for an upper 3rd tier IS - how might I know if a school is at this tier (i.e., the tell-tale signs)?
Thank you and stay well.

@geoguy

At this time I doubt the TCL/TRA will issue you QTS based on the MO initial (entry grade) credential utilizing the doctoral route, unless youre prepared to engage in a little subterfuge in your application, but they might.
Once you have QTS you wouldnt have tho renew the MO credential, but theres no reason not too, unless you just dont want the hassle.

UT only issues regular credentials to US citizens and permanent residents. MA (Massachusetts) would be an option using the Provisional pathway. This would provide you with an effective lifetime credential, though you will not be eligible for QTS with it.

Maybe if your degree was from LSE, but outside OxBridge, no.

Sure, you can shop your resume around, add the credential to your resume ad note that its in progress.

In short, Floater tier three ISs are very similar too tier two ISs, either theres one thing they still havent gotten right, and that one thing is pretty important or theyre better than most of the other upper third tier ISs but just havent risen to the level that gets them into second tier. Usually the boundaries between tiers have substantial differences between the top of one tier and the bottom of the next tier.

@psyguy

Thank you for the update and helpful advice, I guess they are tightening up any loopholes to gaining QTS?

So the MO initial and MA provisional pathway are options, which do you propose would be better for me; are they both for people with doctorates? Given the unlikelihood of gaining QTS with the MO credential as you indicated, do you think there would still be value for me to obtain it? I.e. would ISs still see it as a ‘teaching qualification’?

I could also possibly gain a one year 'teaching diploma in secondary geography' from the university I’m working at now (non-western uni, developing country) although not sure if it would be recognized outside the country/region. I think my other options would be PGCEi, or return to UK for a PGCE or Researcher in School position although the fees/living costs are quite large (and bursary for Geog has been taken away from both).

Given that you previously suggested I should aim for an upper third tier IS (my preference locations are LCSA, east Africa, Russia), would any of or combination of MO credential, teaching diploma, PGCEi be sufficient to be marketable (even though none may bring about QTS)? (as opposed to returning to UK to do PGCE/RIS)?

Thanks again and stay well.

@geoguy

They kind of had to. They would have cut their own throats if they didnt. Why do induction when you dont have to.

No, only the MO option has a specific doctoral route. The MA route is available to anyone who has a bachelors/first degree and passes the credentialing exams.

Yes, absolutely, its still a regular full credential. Albeit an entry grade credential as opposed to a professional grade credential thats equivalent to QTS. It still checks the 'professional edu' box.
The MO credential. Its one less exam, but more importantly its likely to hold up better to the passage of time.

Would this ''teaching diploma in secondary geography" qualify you as a professional edu in the host country? If it gets you some form of certificate or adds you to some registry that would 'authorize the delivery of instructional services in the regulated primary/secondary edu practice within the designated jurisdiction of the regulating authority' than yes it would be acceptable in IE, though you may have more work or difficulties in persuading a potential IS that that is what it does. Even then there are ISs that insist on credentials from western authorities.

A PGCEi is a qualification it isnt a credential, though it often serves as a working qualification in a number of ISs, mostly third tier ISs. Its possible to use the PGCEi in obtaining a credential, but they generally arent better than the current assessment based pathways such as the MA or MO credentials.

The MO credential is likely to have the best proportion of acceptance compared to the greater limitations of this diploma or a PGCEi.

@Psyguy
Many thanks for the useful information. I just have a couple more questions please.
For the MO credential (entry level, doctoral route), is it possible to do the test online at this time? Also how often would it need to be renewed (and does renewal involve payment and retesting)?.
Thank you and stay well.

@geoguy

Currently, yes you can take the MEGA for Professional Knowledge: Secondary exam remotely, including OS.

You need to renew it every three years to maintain validity, but if you allow it to lapse you dont have to do anything but apply for reinstatement. You need only apply to renew it and pay the application fee each time you renew, there are no PD requirements, nor do you need to retest.

@Psyguy