Did anyone go to the South American School fair in Atlanta??

E.B. White

Venezuela cost of living

Post by E.B. White »

Venezuela is probably not as bad as many people might think in terms of economics, but this year has been the worst by far of our years in the country. Prices are going up (though it's still, arguably, not horrendous compared to some places) and for a family with kids there has been much less travel and much less saved. The views of singles vs. marrieds is always so interesting - personally, having to constantly worry about getting money on the sly and the time it takes to make the arrangements is ridiculous - this is my third international school and never had to do anything like this. So, MOST singles might do reasonably well in Venezuela; I would say couples and especially those with children: be careful.
mobydick

Post by mobydick »

Add the following South American schools:

Top tier:

St Nicholas
St Pauls - both "British" IB schools in Sao Paulo with very good packages, P more established, N more in tune with things

Middle tier:

The Grange, Santiago, Chile - pretty good hard currency equivalent cash but Chile relatively expensiv, occasional bizarre management decision
Markham College, Lima, Peru - great lifestyle, good school
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Ellen & Seacat

I taught at CCB in Cali, Colombia. The top 2 schools in Cali, Bolivar (US) and CCB (UK) aren't on the AASSA Member Schools list, although I see that Bolivar is an 'Invitational Member' what ever that means. They also seem to be missing quite a few of the Bogota schools.

There are a number of UK curriculum schools throughout SA, as well as IB schools. Depending on location and timing, nationality isn't an issue. The UK schools seem to prefer UK trained teachers but will take US, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and South African teachers. Most US schools seem to prefer US teachers but will take any nationality if they can't get US citizens.

Colombia seems more secure under Uribe than before but even if it isn't if you're sensible you should be fine.

CCB had a high foreign staff turnover rate, largely because of cross-cultural issues.