How safe is Egypt at the moment?

counselme

Currency and Commitment to Teachers

Post by counselme »

Earlier in the post, someone had mentioned that because of the significant drop in the Egyptian currency LE that local famillies are going to struggle to pay the tuition in hard currency from now on. Makes sense. But that therefore, schools may then pay teachers more in LE than let's say British pounds or US dollars. But if that currently reputable school that also is screend by and advertises on Search Associates has produced a contract with the amount in a set currency, wouldn't that be frowned upon by SA and generally tarnish the reputation, you know, if a school changed the salary and method of payment that is written and signed off on? How do schools fair with Search Associates when schools reneg on items in the contract, generally, actually. Thank you,
joe30

Re: How safe is Egypt at the moment?

Post by joe30 »

You know a place sucks when shopping centres and restaurants are mentioned as positives.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@counselme

It wouldnt effect the IS in anyway with SA or ISS. The IS would change its policy in the operations handbook to change the salary currencies, and that would be the end of it. If any agency asked, they would claim it was a necessary change in business process and approved by ownership.

Premium agencies rarely discipline an IS, they are the clients, ITs are the commodity, and there are a number of bottom tier ISs that they represent.
counselme

Currency and Commitment to Teachers

Post by counselme »

Hello Psy Guy, It would seem that changing a contract would be breaking it so it would seem then the teacher would have recourse to bow out and not be blacklisted, should a school change such a main part of a contract.
Thank you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@counselme

It seems that way because you are assuming the contract which was written entirely by the IS and its legal counsel had any intention of protecting you, it doesnt. There is very likely some clause or term that incorporates the ISs policies and procedures into the contract. All the IS needs to do is change the policy. Premium agencies arent in the business of contract disputes, and as long as you were paid the then value of the contracted salary, the form of the currency isnt an issue of substance, regardless of speculation of what might happen to that currency in the future.

There is no blacklist, if you wanted to explain the issue to a future recruiter you would get a mixed reaction, some recruiters would consider this breaking contract, some would understand. The premium agencies are more likely to consider this breaking contract as well. The IS is paying you, they are just paying you differently, and its likely this is permissible by the contract you executed. Egypt is a volatile economic region, you either knew that going into the contract or you should have. At the end of the day it sounds like a trivial technicality that your attempting to make an excuse of.
counselme

Post by counselme »

Thank you PsyGuy. I am just playing devil's advocate and discussing the issue. It is not personal to my situation. I'm on a different continent. Hope you have a lovely holiday.
Take care,
mamava

Post by mamava »

If you are an IT, you're as as safe as your school is....you're as safe as the reliability of your
school's assertions that they can protect you.
counselme

Post by counselme »

Hi Joe, can you tell me a bit more about your experience in Egypt? Sounds like you didn't think there is much for expats to do there? Thanks for your comments.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@counselme

I didnt find much of interest after a certain point of doing the museums, the pyramids and the sphinx. Its more than a lot of places, but all the thinks I wanted to do I could have done on a holiday and not have had to live in Cairo doing it.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Reply

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @counselme
>
> I didnt find much of interest after a certain point of doing the museums,
> the pyramids and the sphinx. Its more than a lot of places, but all the
> thinks I wanted to do I could have done on a holiday and not have had to
> live in Cairo doing it.
=================
Interesting that they asked Joe and you responded. Copycats, clone, sock puppets or just kindred spirit?

LOL. You were only there for like 5 minutes before doing a runner. Everything you describe is in Cairo which are far from the only attractions. That being said, Egypt is certainly not for everyone. We liked it for a year (and could have done two if much better options hadn't come along) but that would have been about it.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

counselme wrote:
> Hi Joe, can you tell me a bit more about your experience in Egypt? Sounds
> like you didn't think there is much for expats to do there? Thanks for your
> comments.

I've never been to Egypt, it was just a general comment that when someone mentions things like shopping malls as a regions 'positives', you know it absolutely sucks. Because shopping malls are everywhere, so are restaurants...if the region has nothing going for it other than that it just proves life is awful there.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Joe30 probably didn't like it because the women weren't easy. He makes it clear that's a top priority for him. Friends of mine in Egypt do not feel unsafe.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Whats so interesting about posting a reply?
Well closer to 5 weeks than 5 minutes. Poo doesnt get better with age, it doesnt turn into chocolate at a certain point. How long do you need to be in a dump before realizing its a dump. The enchantment phenomenon of culture shock makes a location appear better than it on first arrival, if you see it and live its a poo dump when you get there, its not getting better as time goes by.

@joe30

I concur, when ISs and recruiters have to emphasis the ordinary as a positive it means thats it there isnt anything better that can be said about the location. When an IS or recruiter talks about the nature, and activities like hiking (thats walking) and cycleing and other ordinary activities as if they are something special, that means there isnt anything more or better to do.

@SJ

Its not inaccurate, the social scene in Egypt isnt easy.