Which Search fair to attend.

aridion

Which Search fair to attend.

Post by aridion »

My profile:
5 years teaching experience (3 years in PYP).
Currently teaching in Asia (and looking for a position in SE Asia)
Male, mid 30s (single)

Which fair would give me the best coverage/chance?

I am considering London in January, or either of the Bangkok fairs.

Which would you guys recommend?

Ari.
sitka

Re: Which Search fair to attend.

Post by sitka »

I think the golden rule is to attend to the best fair you can get into. Bangkok -> London -> Everything else.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is, you go to the most competitive fair you can get an invite too. The mega fairs in order of competitiveness are: BKK, LON, BOS, SFO.

You arent very competitive for BKK. LON would give you a lot of exposure to IB ISs, but its more an EU market than Asia. Youd be above the average at BOS, and there are plenty of Asian ISs. SFO would almost be a sure thing, but those sure things are going to be very low tier ISs.
It really depends what your goal is, if you think your ready for a 1st tier IS go to BKK, if you want to capitalize on the PYP experience go to LON, if you really want to stay in Asia and moving around is more important than tier, then go to BOS. If you just want a new IS and job go to SFO.

My advise is go to BKK if you can get the invite, you miss all the shots you dont take.
aridion

Post by aridion »

Thanks PsyGuy. I have the option of London or Bak. My worry is that I will leave Bak without an offer.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@aridion

So you have an invite for both fairs, and you have to choose one or do you mean youre in Asia and those are the two regions you could reasonably travel too, or are interested in, but you dont have any invitations?

You could leave BKK without an offer, you could leave LON without an offer, you could go to all 4 mega fairs and not get a single offer. If you want more luck, take more risks, and a Teflon coated exterior helps as well, there is a lot of rejection at fairs.

Were I you, and I had an invite for both BKK and LON, given what youve disclosed to us, Id take LON.
aridion

Post by aridion »

I have accepted my invite to London. Hopefully, I will get something before then though.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@aridion

You want to start arranging interviews in advance. Not only is this a head start, but gives you an indication of your marketability.