FAQ: GLOSSARY

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

We disagree a lot it shouldnt surprise you.
Heliotrope

Re: FAQ: GLOSSARY

Post by Heliotrope »

We do.
And it doesn't – while "quelle surprise" in French is virtually identical to "what a surprise" in English, "quelle surprise" in English carries a more sarcastic connotation than "quelle surprise" in French.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Thames Pirate

Re: Reply

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> We disagree the percentage of DIP at tier 1 ISs isnt nearly that high, its
> a minority.

Disagree all you want, but facts are with Heliotrope on this one.

>
> @Thames Pirate
>
> Im not the only one that uses it, it jut a group that doesnt include you.

It's possible that some fossils somewhere use the term, but your use of it speaks to either your refusal to change or your lack of accuracy. Neither is a good quality in education.

>
> That fair was in SF in 2019, the fair moves locations in the US but its
> that same time frame on the recruiting calendar. The ISS and SA fair in the
> Americas was the BOS mega fair, ISS hasnt participated in years. None of
> that has anything to do with the tier rankings.

ISS has had a San Francisco fair for years; it doesn't move around regularly. It just did for the coming year. Search has been doing Boston and San Francisco for awhile now. My point was more that you are clearly not up to date on either recruiting or your terminology, so one would expect your understanding of tiers to be out of date at best.

>
> When did I claim to be an expert? Do you have such a citation were I
> refereed to my self using the term of "Expert"?

Well, you have said you don't need to pose as an expert (thus implying that you are one). You have also called yourself a master on multiple occasions. But you don't need to use the term for people to know you consider yourself one.

>
> if you want elite/tier 1 ISs go to BKK, if you want to compete with EU ITs
> in Europe or have a really high IB skills set and EU is more important than
> tier go to LON.

This implies there are no Tier 1s in Europe or that Tier 1 schools don't attend London when both are demonstrably false. The part about wanting Europe: Go to London was just rephrasing what I said.
interteach

Post by interteach »

I'm wary of acronym and abbreviation overload. I find a correlation between those who need to rely on technical jargon and lack of actual expertise.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> PsyGuy wrote:
> > @Heliotrope
> >
> > We disagree the percentage of DIP at tier 1 ISs isnt nearly that high, its
> > a minority.
>
> Disagree all you want, but facts are with Heliotrope on this one.
>
>
> >
> > @Thames Pirate
> >
> > Im not the only one that uses it, it jut a group that doesnt include you.
>
> It's possible that some fossils somewhere use the term, but your use of it speaks
> to either your refusal to change or your lack of accuracy. Neither is a good quality
> in education.
===========
Well, by his employment timeline, he has been working for DoDEA for 7 years now, so he is not likely to have been dealing with anything IB related on a regular basis and is losing touch (with reality at times).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Wiktionary, Sure.

@Thames Pirate

No they arent, the facts are not on @Heliotrope side.
Both are great for edu.
before they were in SF for years they were in BOS for years, moving around doesnt mean annually, its means its less than permenant. Im fully current on recruiting, terminology and tiers.

I dont need to pose as an expert, and master doesnt mean expert. Im not responsible for what others consider.

It implies no such thing, tier 1 ISs go to LON, the concentration of tier 1/elite tier ISs is much higher at BKK.

@interteach

Do you have some non-anecdotal data to support that correlation? I find a correlation between those with expertise who know the jargon.
interteach

Post by interteach »

No stats. Just observation. I find the jargon-heavy to be similar to Wilde's definition of a cynic: Someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. Similar to the way I feel you, based on your post history, approach what you do in that your nominal job is being a teacher but your profession is being cynical about education. Although I've come to doubt that you actually are a currently practicing teacher.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@interteach

I find in my observations that expertise is an essential perquisite to understanding the technical language of the profession, a dead give away of someone faking it or who has only studied the profession superficially is an absence of understanding technical language.

Knowing the price of things is in of itself valuable, understanding the price of things is crucial to determining their value, otherwise everything is priceless and priceless means its worth nothing or its worth everything. In economics there are many concepts such as price point, and cost of goods that are important factors in price. Value tends to be the lay persons crutch for not understanding or having data of costs and prices.
interteach

Post by interteach »

"Essential perquisite" strikes me as an oxymoron. I believe you need to turn off auto-suggest.
interteach

Post by interteach »

I'm also not fully sure that the acronyms you refer to in this forum are true technical language. They may save time typing and make someone look like they may know something, but I nevertheless find them pretentious in an open forum context.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@interteach

Typo, meant prerequisite. I already have auto-correct off, thats how I type without using apostrophes. I just spelled the wrong word correctly.

Im sure. They are language, and they are technical, ergo technical language. Doesnt all technical language have an origin?

I find those who characterize others as pretentious, to be pretentious themselves.
interteach

Post by interteach »

No your wrong its pretentious.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No, we diasgree, mainly because your wrong.