Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

jkubok2

Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

Post by jkubok2 »

Longer question here, sorry, I'm a US citizen, been teaching EFL for 10 years now all over Asia and Eastern Europe. But I only have 3 years full-time K-12 experience (in Japanese public schools), the rest has been in private language schools, colleges and with the British Council (BC). I was a teacher mentor for the BC to Malaysian primary school teachers for a year and half, but wasn't actually teaching English, just observing, etc. I have a CELTA cert (2012) with the BC and a BA in English from the U of Illinois (2006). I'm currently in Tokyo teaching in a vocational college so I cannot do my student teaching while here unless I found another job. I just took all 3 PRAXIS generals (and passed) and I'm about to do my PRAXIS II ESOL and ELA content exams here in Tokyo. I've been accepted into a partially online teacher's training program (TTP) in my home state of WI and planned to receive my initial teacher's cert there, I haven't paid for the course yet though... looking at the coursework...it all seems pretty useless and expensive. It actually doesn't matter what state I get certified in for now because I'll probably be going to the UAE next, but will eventually land in the US or Australia permanently (my spouse is Australian).

I've searched this site and others and I've read lots of opinions. I like what @psyguy has to say so I hope that he'll chime in. I was hoping to get a definitive guide on how to get an initial US certification without taking a teacher's training course. Is it even possible? With just my experience, degree, exams, etc?

I've read about the CT > HI > CA route, but it's so complicated. I've read about the MA route, but you can only take the MTEL in the US. I've read about FL, DC, OR, Teach Now, Teach Ready, American Board, etc. This CT one seems to be the answer, but (1) the CT state site is down and (2) I don't really understand how you can get an initial cert w/out doing a TTP, and (3) why would I then need to change it to HI. I went to the HI site but it also says that you need a TTP. What cert track would I be going down? Btw,I would love to get that CA cert eventually, but how would I go about doing that? How long would that take? And then could I eventually add a Physics licensure to that cert after I do 6 more credits and take the content exam?

I guess the main goal at this moment is to just pass my PRAXIS II exams, apply from abroad for an initial cert from somewhere/anywhere using my experience and then find a job teaching ESOL in a K-12 school in the UAE before the next hiring season, which is Spring 2017...work starting for the Fall 2017 school year. Is that possible? If someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jkubok2

Re: Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

Post by jkubok2 »

Strange, the only way for me to get to the ct.gov site was through a proxy. Anyway it finally worked for me and I'm wondering if I should apply for the initial or provisional cert? How do I go about providing proof of service/experience from my Japanese schools? And possibly other schools where I've worked. Thanks so much!
jkubok2

Post by jkubok2 »

Actually I think Hawaii might be a better option if I can get around the "completed a teacher prep program" with my experience. What do you think?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First: You are not eligible for the CT provisional credential, a recent rule update requires you to have a Masters degree. You are only eligible for the initial credential.

Second: Most states CT and HI included have a standard form to document the experience. In the case of a state that doesnt, they typically provide guidelines for a professional letter. In such cases that they dont and you cant talk to anyone who will give you further clarification. The letter should be on IS letterhead, bare the signature of the HOS and the IS seal. It should document your period of service, the total time (in months and years) your subject and grade level.

Third: Yes you can get around the HI EPP/ITT requirement, thats what the CT credential accomplishes.

The main issue with your scenario is that your private/independent JP DS experience is very likely to be considered ET (ESOL), since you dont have a professional credential that you provided those instructional services under.

You can get the initial credential in CT without an EPP/ITT program because CT is more concerned about experience and practice than academic training. There intent was to lure DTs from private/independent DSs into public/maintained DSs, the rational is if you've been managing a classroom for 2 years you have at least the equivalent of an entry level DT fresh out of an EPP/ITT program.

You want/need to change to transfer to another state (in this case HI) because 1) The CT initial credential is a time bomb, you can only renew it 5 times (6 total) and then it just expires. This is still 18 years and there are no PD requirements, but at some point you have to move. You cant transition to the CT provisional credential without getting a Masters and returning to CT to teach. 2) The CT initial license is a NASDETC level 2 credential, which isnt desirable. By transferring to HI, assuming they accept your JP K-12 experience your credential in transitioned and elevated to the standard credential which is a NASDTEC level 3 credential by regulatory operation.

Your HI route to the Standard credential would be route D. The requirements are a valid out of state license and verification of three years experience. There is no requirement to have completed an EPP/ITT program.

The CA CLEAR credential would require you to complete a Masters degree, there are other options in the pathway but rarely do applicants have a 150 credit bachelors programs and CA generally doesnt accept PD service credits that were earned outside of CA. The only remaining option would be the Masters degree. In addition you would need an ESOL credential (which you would have).
You can complete a Masters in a year.

Adding an endorsement directly to CA requires passage of the CA licensing exam and a 3 credit course in methodology for the subject. Having the HI credential facilitates this process, you can add an endorsement in HI by completing the appropriate PRAXIS exam and if required the appropriate PRAXIS PLT exam appropriate for the grade level you are seeking endorsement. You can then just apply for CA endorsement (avoinding the 3 credit methodology course).
There is no requirement that you complete additional coursework in Physics (or other general classroom endorsement subject), you need only complete the appropriate PRAXIS exam.

Utah (UT) recently instituted an academic only pathway. You can get a level 1 credential based on your bachelors degree in English and completion of the PRAXIS exam for English (literature). Completion of an EPP/ITT program is not required and unlike CT there is no experience requirement either. This option would solve the issue of recognition failure for your JP K-12 experience. The UT level 1 credential is renewable indefinitely upon completion of PD requirements.
This is a really new credential, thats been in the media recently. HI would likely accept it with 3 years experience for a standard credential, meaning you could have a full professional educator credential without any academic preparation at all. You could then add ESOL and physics or anything else you wanted to the HI standard credential by completing the required PRAXIS exams
It is unclear if the TCL would accept the UT level one credential it for QTS, it likely would since the UT level one credential meets the requirement of "permanent" unlike the CT initial credential. QTS requires no professional classroom or teaching experience. This would mean that you could receive a lifetime (QTS has no PD requirements) professional educator credential without ever having stepped into a classroom or ever having any training or academic preparation. At that point the only difference between someone with a degree and a professional teacher is completion of a subject matter PRAXIS exam.

::Teaching profession meet drain::
NewsAdviser

Post by NewsAdviser »

Hello,
I don't know what some of the acronyms you mentioned mean, but I believe you are asking how to get teacher certification/licensure without having to do student teaching. If that is correct, I can tell you that I personally know of half a dozen or so public school teachers who did just that through what is called the "alternative route."

These are folks who held a Bachelor's degree in a high-demand subject area. They were hired/sponsored on the condition they complete their methodology courses within a year or so of being hired--usually taking classes online, at nights and on weekends while teaching full time Mon-Fri. During this time period they are mentored by veteran teachers and/or administrators. That first year or year and a half is grueling for them, but after they have completed their courses, the on-the-job experience (for which they were paid a beginning teacher's salary), counts also as their 'student' teaching experience and they earn their certification.

In my district, I have only known them to hire alternative-route candidates for such specialities as computer science, physics, Latin, and trigonometry. However, I am aware of other individuals who earned their teaching certifications via alternative route by teaching at inner city (read high-risk) schools. I have also known a few who ultimately had their student loans forgiven by teaching at such schools for a 3-5 year stint.

Do a Google search about alternative route teaching certification and you will see which states offer that incentive.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NewsAdviser

Student teaching, clinical teaching, internship, practicum, induction are all various forms of field experience. Generally you cant get a professional credential without completing it in some form. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

The federal loan forgiveness program is available to all teachers regardless of the state that work in regulated DE. You can get 17,500 of federal direct loans forgiven after 5 years, and 100% of Perkins loans after 5 years. After 10 years of service and 120 on time payments you can qualify for forgiveness of any remaining Federal Direct Loans.
NewsAdviser

Post by NewsAdviser »

@PsyGuy

Thank you. You are obviously very knowledgeable.

Regards,
N.A.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@NewsAdviser

Meh...
jkubok2

Post by jkubok2 »

@psyguy

Thanks for all of your help so far. I'm in the middle of studying for my praxis II subject exam for ELA and doing the background check to get my Utah initial license. I should have it by December or January.

From there, I'm thinking about then applying for the Standard license in Hawaii using track D, here it is from there website:

"D. APPLICANTS WHO HOLD A TEACHING LICENSE ISSUED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ANOTHER STATE SINCE JULY 1, 2006, SUBMIT:
1. If your licensing agency does not have a public license lookup, submit HTSB Form OS3009 Agency Confirmation.

AND

Verification of at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years of satisfactory full time teaching in Hawaii or another state."

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll qualify for the experience part as it has to be within the last 5 years and my Japan K-12 experience was about 8 years ago. I have other EFL experience within the last 5 years including teacher mentoring in Malaysian public schools but I don't believe this will work as it is EFL experience teaching adults.

What other options do I have once I receive my UT license for moving it to a standard? Other states? What would you recommend?
Thanks again!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jkubok2

Non-recent experience will be an issue with obtaining the HI professional license, I assumed your experience was recent, your Malaysian ESOL experience isnt likely to be acceptable. DEC/JAN is going to be disadvantages for you. Running though the options:

1) QTS; this is the disadvantage for you waiting, the UT APT level 1 license doesnt meet the TCL requirements for QTS, there is no preparation, however TCL doesnt really know that. Its such a new credential, the first couple applicants will probably slip though the cracks and get QTS, the more time that passes, the more likely the TCL is going to make an exception.
QTS would give you the benefit of not requiring renewal, and as long as you didnt add anything outside your degree and academic preparation you wouldnt need to do any additional work.

2) CT; would likely give you an initial credential, but you wouldnt be able to transition it to a higher credential, and you couldnt renew it past 18 years, its no better than the UT entry level license.

3) NJ; you wouldnt meet the recency experience requirements for a NJ advance credential (standard certificate), and you wouldnt meet the requirements for a NJ professional credential (CEAS) as you havent completed an EPP. You may be eligible for an initial credential (CE), it would have the benefit of being a lifetime credential, but it has recognition problems that arent any less than UTs, and you would not be able to transition the CE.

4) DC; is a potential option, you would have to complete some more PRAXIS assessments at a minimum.

5) TX; is surprisingly your strongest option. TX only has one class of professional credential. It would be a pain though, assuming they accepted the UT entry level credential. Youd have to take the TX assessments (2 at a minimum).

6) CA; not very practical to get a CLEAR credential youd essentially have to do an EPP program (induction) even if you qualified for the preliminary credential. CA is one of the two primary options for parking your credential as an IT.

You dont need to do everything right away, the UT credential gives you three years. You can apply for QTS, thats the most critical and then after a few (3) years apply for the HI credential or another credential.
teachjzy

Post by teachjzy »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @jkubok2
>
>
> 1) QTS; this is the disadvantage for you waiting, the UT APT level 1 license doesnt
> meet the TCL requirements for QTS, there is no preparation, however TCL doesnt really
> know that. Its such a new credential, the first couple applicants will probably
> slip though the cracks and get QTS, the more time that passes, the more likely the
> TCL is going to make an exception.
> QTS would give you the benefit of not requiring renewal, and as long as you didnt
> add anything outside your degree and academic preparation you wouldnt need to do
> any additional work.
>

I'm in a similar situation and would like to know how to convert the UT APT to QTS without a teaching training program. On the site itself, they state that one is needed.

"You have successfully completed a course of Initial Teacher Training (ITT) which is recognised by the competent authority in that country"

In part 2 of the application, they ask for teacher training details. I could enter my BA in Urban Studies and my CELTA and see what happens...otherwise treacherready or something similar is required. They also ask for an online option or letter of verification that includes ITT.

I guess it won't hurt to try.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teachjzy

There are two issues that make this possible. First, as you cited youve completed an ITT recognized by the competent authority. Were using a very creative definition of what an ITT is. Essentially the PRAXIS exam you have to take is the entirety of your ITT, you are using the UT equivalent of the UKs "assessment only" route to licensing. Its authorized by UT public law, and its a level 1 credential. Second, the TCL isnt going to check, UT doesnt have an online lookup you will have to provide a letter, or give the TCL access (user ID and Password to your CACTUS account) but thats all they are going to do. This is verification not an investigation. Thats the current status, at some point sooner or later someone at the TCL will probably figure out what the APT license pathway is and they wont accept the UT ATP credential.

For the dates use the date of your PRAXIS exam for the end date, and the start date choose a year or term before that, or in the alternative use your first degree conference date.

Id just give the TCL your CACTUS login ID and password, and use the online option.
Vdanya

Post by Vdanya »

I've gone through all the steps of the Utah APT (passed background check & Praxis II Elementary content knowledge, sent transcripts etc..) and am waiting for the licence to be issued. For anyone who's done this, how long did it take the USBE to issue it for you after they've received everything? It's been a few days and nothing has been updated in Cactus.

I'm planning to apply for QTS since I've preferred to work in British curric schools in the middle east although I'm American.. will definitely report back about how that goes.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Vdanya

About a month at this time of year, 6-8 weeks at end of terms and May/June can take the whole summer.
Vdanya

Post by Vdanya »

My license just got issued today! It's taken a little under 2 months total, starting with the fingerprints taken in Dubai & sent to Utah (which were processed in less than 3 weeks although it was estimated to take 6-8), then the Praxis II with a grueling 20 day wait for results to come out, having my transcript delivered electronically, application & $40 sent in by family in the US since they don't accept online payment for the fee. I applied for QTS just now and am hoping that the license + my degree (coincidentally in Utah, in education, but did not complete the student teaching requirements because I had 2 little kids at the time so I wasn't credentialed) will help me finally get a career started... I feel so relieved!