Is this a red flag to recruiters?

coughingfurballs

Is this a red flag to recruiters?

Post by coughingfurballs »

I want to start interviewing for next year, but I wonder if I maybe I haven't stayed long enough at my previous schools. Are my times spent teaching at previous schools a red flag?

1. current international school: 4 years (teaching subject at IB level)

2. previous international school: 3 years

3. US school: 2 years (teaching subject at AP level)

4. first international school: 1 year (I left after 1 year because it was a dodgy school in Middle East where I was sexually harassed by admin, not that I can say this at an interview)

5. 1 year "gap year" teaching English at a school in the country where my mom was born, and I speak the local language. (I left this school because teachers are paid about $400 a month in that country: maybe I should leave this stint off my reaching resume?).
chilagringa

Re: Is this a red flag to recruiters?

Post by chilagringa »

I feel like since you have a recent buffer of longer stints (and I define longer stints as staying beyond initial 2-year contract), you're good.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Actually, it shows your development from volunteer to seasoned professional, encountering a series of experiences that have helped shaped you as a person and a teacher, as well as being the crucible in which your teaching philosophy has been forged.

Go for it!
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I think it was a red flag that you stayed at a school for four years if it wasn't a perfect fit for you. It's about time you left. You clearly don't have much gumption. But pliable employees are what most drone/insecure heads love, so you'll have no problem getting a job! Congrats.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

coughingfurballs,

First of all, ignore resigio. Must be a bitter person who clearly did not read your email.

As a recruiter, I do not see any red flags. You path is pretty typical. Short stays in the beginning but longer ones moving forward. Three and four years stints are fine. If you are asked about the one year in the ME, simply say it was not a good fit. The veteran administrators will recognise the name of the shoddy school and understand.

Good luck with your search!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Youve been in your most recent appointment for 4 years, and your previous appointment for 3 more. Assuming everything is positive, if and when you decide to leave nothing before your current appointment will matter much, and if there is any minor trivial concern going further back, the previous three years will be more than adequate and sufficient.

Your gap year doesnt matter and doesnt count, your first IS appointment is a bonding story at worst, no ones going to care that far back with a recent positive history.
Amnesiac

Post by Amnesiac »

To piggyback off this discussion, I'm curious to know how two 2 year stints would look to start your international career, even if you have great references?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Amnesiac

As long as your contracts are 2 year appointments, you complete your contract and your references are fine then thee isnt an issue. Third tier leadership or hardship locations will pitch that you need to stay longer but thats just their attempt to mitigate attrition and reduce costs.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It matters depending on the schools. Ir you did two years at a top tier and then two years at a slightly lower level tier, and then were applying again, I'd be wondering about you.
Amnesiac

Post by Amnesiac »

shadowjack wrote:
> It matters depending on the schools. Ir you did two years at a top tier and
> then two years at a slightly lower level tier, and then were applying
> again, I'd be wondering about you.

Why? What if you took a job and it wasn't what you thought it'd be?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Amnesiac

Because the scenario @SJ describes is very specific. Elite tier ISs offer the best at least in terms of comp, and are the closest to a DS in your HOR, while there are plenty of reasons for a poor fit, in this scenario the recruiter is thinking that either 1) You want an elite tier comp package with third tier workload and expectations or 2) You or some aspect of your family wont be happy anywhere in IE (or only in very limited locations).

@SJ

It matters if you get that question and dont have an acceptable answer, but there are a lot of acceptable responses that would make it a non issue.
sid

Post by sid »

It's not a red flag, nor is it awesome. Pretty neutral.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I wonder how my IT career history would look...any comments welcome.
I have been working for 27 years, the last 8 in international schools around the Middle East.
4 years (Qatar)
1 year (x - school closed)
2 years (west Saudi)
2 years (east Saudi)

For family reasons i am thinking about moving next year but am worried that my previous moves may put a recruiter off although i have valid reasons for those moves and strong reasons to move again as my kids reach school age and there are no options at my current position. Plus, 4 years in Saudi is about all we can face but if we absolutely have to I would do a third year at my current school. (And your advice will be a factor on that decision).

Eventually we plan to head to Northern or Western Europe but we need a few more years saving - maybe the UAE or Qatar.

Looking forward to your replies
sid

Post by sid »

Some depends on your history pre ME. Does it suggest you have staying power, or that you move every couple years?
Having reasons is great, but as a recruiter I rarely get to a point where we would discuss them. Either your CV and tenures impress me enough to interview you, in which case reasons are irrelevant, or they don't and I'll never hear the reasons. Brutally honest.
How much tenures count does vary significantly with different schools. Best quality schools usually are tougher than mid and lower.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Reply @sid:

In my case, prior to moving overseas, my career history at home was:
4 years (public sector)
3 years (private sector)
5 years (academic)
3 years (public sector)
3 years (academic)

9 years (international)

Push factors for leaving my current position are a need to get my children into pre-school (no local options) and the fact that the salary is about 8-10% below par for Saudi Arabia.

I could delay and do a third year but the risk is a possible lack of suitable positions in an ideal location (in my field some years options are very limited).

My ideal future plan is to do 2 to 3 years in the next school (Middle East or Asia) for savings, followed by a long-term to retirement return to Europe for better pension (ideally switz, Neth., Germ., Scand.).