Administrative Certification

vascodagama

Re: Administrative Certification

Post by vascodagama »

After reviewing the DC material it looks like even with the SLLA and a Masters the license is for two years and is non-renewable. Again, not sure how this would be helpful for an international educator. There is a four year renewable pathway, but this requires graduation from a state approved admin program. Don't think most Masters degrees obtained by international educators fall in to this category. Back to Dredge's original post, are there any other known avenues for administration certification via examination or some other process that would allow someone with a Masters to get certified?
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Did this just change? I just completed mine in July through the described path and mine is good for four years. Although, I do have an MEd. in professional development, technically not leadership.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Pay attention to the and/ors. I don't think anything has changed, unless this site is outdated.

http://osse.dc.gov/page/educator-creden ... ndardadmin
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

Not to belabor the point, but the way I read the link is that if you have a Masters degree or higher (and it is not a state approved program in supervision or leadership....many Masters programs do not fit this category) then you are limited to a 2 year non-renewable license, which has limited benefit in an international setting. So, as it currently reads I can't see how it provides any utility for international educators. Maybe it was different before?
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

4-year Renewable:

"Has earned a master’s degree or higher, has completed a state-approved educator preparation program in school leadership and supervision, OR holds a valid school administrator credential issued in another state."

---- Please tell me what you don't understand here. This is exactly what it said when I got my administrator credential. They may have raised the teaching requirement from 2 to 4 years, though. You still have to pass the test, of course, to get the 4-year renewable, but it states any masters OR .....
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

If you read the language that you posted is is evident that you have to have a Masters or higher AND have attended a state approved educator program in leadership to obtain a renewable certificate. The only option for the Masters or higher route for those who have not having attended a state approved educator leadership program is the 2 year non-renewable pathway. Perhaps there has been a change in language since you were certified.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont generally disagree with @Sid, there are many in leadership who do not hold administrative/management credentials. What ISs want is competence, and previous experience in leadership demonstrates that competence. If youve been in a senior leadership role in the past you dont need to get a leadership credential (though some ISs in upper tiers may still require one as part of their screening process). If you dont have a leadership credential, than you need to show an IS and ownership that you are competent, a degree is one means, and a credential is another.

The D.C. requirments were recently adapted in July, ignore the website, its under construction, you need to consult the primary source rule making publication:

http://www.dcregs.dc.gov/Gateway/RuleHo ... er=5-E1667

Essentially, teaching credentials saw the most significant change, as previous rules generally required a valid teaching credential, the new rules currently will require an IT/DT to show two years of previous experience, at least until such time as the OSSE accepts general provisions for what out of state EPP/ITT programs are acceptable. The new rule is essentially to differentiate those DTs who obtained credentials through regions such as Utahs APT program, where there wasnt a formal EPP/ITT program. This isnt going to effect ITs very much, its really only going to effect those ITs who get credentials through UT, though that license is renewable. The CT experience pathway already requires 2 years of experience which will qualify the DT for the DC standard credential. The only other pathway that will be effected from the point of IE will be the CA credentials earned through pathways such as Peace Corp experience, and other esoteric routes into obtaining a professional educator credential. Essentially you wont be able to obtain a UT credential through the APT route or a HI initial credential, or a CA preliminary credential and then standardize the credential by applying for a DC professional license without accumulating two years of experience.

In terms of Administrative credentials, the change in rules is less significant. In the past it was an all or none position. You had to complete the SLLA exam. The new rules (page 8/9) allows the candidate to acquire an initial credential before completing the SLLA exam. Though this credential can not be renewed, once the DT/IT has completed the exam they can apply for the professional renewable credential. Essentially allowing you to work in leadership before investing the $450 and allowing you to prepare for the exam (though the exam is not difficult).

The standard credential was changed to differentiate between those candidates that have a successful performance appraisal and those that dont. Many ITs/DTs in private/independent DSs dont undergo a formal assessment process, and many educators outside of classroom appointments in regulated DSs do not receive formal evaluations. Those candidates who do not have a formal appraisal to submit will need to verify 4 years of prior education experience, which is a change from the previous 2 year experience requirement (page 9/10). It should be noted that the formal evaluation will not be met with a letter of reference, good standing, etc..
Otherwise the requirements remain the same, specifically you do not need to complete a leadership training program, and any Masters level degree is acceptable.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@vascodegamma

Now I feel like you're messing with me;-). I am not trying to be condescending, but let's simplify the context so we can understand the language structure. Consider the following:

"With your chicken dinner you can have soup, salad, OR potatoes."

According to your understanding you could have all three, but the OR clearly signifies one of the three, just as it does in the 4-year admin credential requirements language above.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@vascodegama

If you're considering this route for admin certification and you have a Masters and four years of experience, DO IT. You qualify and all you have to do is pass the test. If you don't believe it, call them and ask. Someone will eventually answer the phone and confirm what I am telling you.
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

Thanks to Psyguy for digging in to the newly promulgated rules which are in contravention to the language on the website. Dredge still seems confused by the issue, notwithstanding the plain language of the website which would not provide for a four year renewable license for the holder of a Masters who had not completed a state approved program. Hopefully the website is updated to reflect the language in the new rule and any confusion is cleared up.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@vascodegama

That's fine. I'm trying to help you understand that there exists what you are looking for, but you refuse to read my posts clearly, or psyguy's, because he states the same thing. If you can't decipher this you probably wouldn't do too well on the SLS exam anyway. Seriously, call them and stop refuting it because you are being misleading on this thread which could help someone looking for help with the same issue.
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

Dredge. To be abundantly clear I am not refuting what the rules say. They indicate that you can get a 4 year renewable license. The language on the website, however, does not support this. Hence the need for people to go to the rules to clarify. Perhaps the website will be updated or reworded to accurately reflect the rules. I, for one, am satisfied that this avenue remains a viable option for certification. If you had simply read the website text in an - fashion then this thread would have been put to rest after psyguy clarified the status. Cheers
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I'm posting this here so that anyone interested can interpret this as needed. This is what it says under Option A and B for the 4-year renewable.

Option A
1. Has earned a bachelor’s degree; and

2. Has earned a master’s degree or higher, has completed a state-approved educator preparation program in school leadership and supervision, OR holds a valid school administrator credential issued in another state; and

3. Has completed at least four years of full-time Pre-K through 12 grade school-based teaching, instructional leadership and/or pupil services experience; and

4. Successfully passed the DC-required school leadership exam.

Option B
1. Has earned a bachelor’s degree; and

2. Has earned a master’s degree or higher, has completed a state-approved educator preparation program in school leadership and supervision, OR holds a valid school administrator credential issued in another state; and

3. Has completed at least two years of full-time Pre-K through 12 grade school-based teaching, instructional leadership and/or pupil services experience achieving an effective or equivalent rating as measured by a summative evaluation; and

4. Successfully passed the DC-required school leadership exam.
finleyedd

Post by finleyedd »

Just wanted to add another data point for successful completion of the process. I am now certified as an administrator through DC (attempting reciprocity for my home state) thanks to the information I found in this thread and others by Psyguy, Dredge and others. Thank you for the, quite literally, life-changing info!
finleyedd

Post by finleyedd »

Update: After successfully obtaining the certificate in 2017, I tried to get reciprocity to my home state. This was unsuccessful as I had not completed a program for school leadership (though I have an EdD). This ultimately doesn’t matter much as I have been working internationally since then; however, I’m considering options for reciprocity in the case I want to go back to my vested retirement and looking for the least expensive way to satisfy the requirements for a school to sign off. Either way, I’m renewing my 4 year DC license and will likely do so ad infinitum. As always thanks for previous and future advice.