I got a job as an international school counselor!

Midori4040

I got a job as an international school counselor!

Post by Midori4040 »

Major change of events for me, as my previous posts reveal that I had been trying to secure a position as a school counselor in an international school and lo and behold, it happened.

Now I have questions on the best way to bolster my current qualifications and capitalize on this enormously fortunate opportunity. I'm looking for feedback and suggestions on the best ways to build up my credentials so that I am a strong candidate for future roles and I am of the best service for my students, teachers and parents in my current position.

A quick bit of background on me: I am a masters-level trained mental health counselor from the USA with 7+ years of professional experience working with teens and adults with varying mental health difficulties ranging from depression & anxiety to suicide attempts, schizophrenia & bipolar disorder. My expertise is in crisis intervention, 1:1 counseling and group therapy.

My current role requires me to work with students to in a capacity where I counsel them about school transition issues, depression & anxiety, self-harm, sexuality issues and puberty/developmental processes.

My role does not require me to provide college counseling, career counseling, assessment or testing or CBT and behavioral modification.

I would, however, like to become well-versed in these practices.

My question is this: how can I get this experience now?

My initial thoughts are:

-Reach out to a bigger IS that has a more comprehensive counseling program and volunteer there 1-2 times per week to get experience.
-Become an IB examiner
-Join the International School Counselor Association
- ??? I need more ideas!

Furthermore, I need feedback on the best/clearest path to get licensed in the USA while completing my experience abroad.

I am a resident of the state of Florida and I all but meet the requirement to sit for the Guidance and Counseling examination. The Florida BOE requires a masters in counseling (got it) and at least 3 semester hours of supervised experience in an elementary or secondary school (I am inquiring with them if the 100+ hours I worked with children during my practicum will meet this requirement).

Basically, I don't want to languish any part of this tremendous professional opportunity that has come my way.

I've also considered still pursuing state certification in Florida via Teacher Ready, in SPED, ESOL and Social Studies. Would you still pursue this or is it a waste of time if School Counseling is what my passion is?

More or less, I'm trying to get my CV as iron-clad as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help.
chilagringa

Re: I got a job as an international school counselor!

Post by chilagringa »

I think it would be unwise to volunteer for an IS while working for another. Your paying IS could get pisses off. At least where I've worked, ISs are extremely competitive. In particular, the small ones resent the big boys.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

If your goal is to embrace the role of school counselor then I would focus on aspects of training and education that will enhance that career goal.

I am a little unclear as to where you actually are in this process. Have you actually started the int'l counseling job or are you still in Florida? My input (FWIW) would depend largely on that.
Midori4040

Post by Midori4040 »

I'm in Europe at the moment and will begin the job in August.

I'd really value your feedback!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Congratulations!

The good news is that international school counselors are pretty well networked and are very willing to help each other out. You just need to reach out and meet folks.

So once you arrive where you're working, it will be good to meet other international school counselors in the city/region. Some places already have formal school counseling networks. Though you mentioned being in Europe now, I'm not clear if that's where your job will be as well.

So I'll provide a few organizations/conferences that are worth attending or getting connected with to shore up your knowledge in college counseling/career counseling, which if you're working at the high school level is probably going to be a big role.

If you're in Europe, I would recommend going to Council of International Schools' (http://www.cois.org/page.cfm?p=2132) conference in Barcelona Spain in November on international admission and guidance. This will be a great opportunity to network with other international school counselors and learn about the university admission process in many different countries. CIS also has regional forums that could be worth going to in Bangkok (October), Mexico (October), and South Africa (March '17), which would serve some of the same purpose in those regions.

Though you're too late for it this year, International ACAC (formerly OACAC; http://www.oacac.com/) has a very useful conference each year in different parts of North America during the summer. This year the conference is at Rutgers University in a couple weeks. Another great place to network and learn about the university search process. This year they are also hosting a regional event in Africa in Nairobi, Kenya in October. They did something similar in Shanghai last year. It's meant to reach counselors who can't get to North America during the summer due to cost/time issues.

International School Counselor Association (ISCA) has been getting going as another good, but much smaller organization. They have some great training available for their model that's based off the ASCA model. Another good place to network and get to know people.

There are other good training events that specifically address international school counselors like the Principal's Training Center (http://www.theptc.org/) and College Board's International Summer Institute for International Counselors (http://international.collegeboard.org/p ... selors-nyu). Unfortunately, you're a bit too late for them this year. Some places also do training for college counseling aimed at people working at US private high schools, but these probably are more US centric that you might need. Taft School in Connecticut has one; https://www.taftschool.org/tec/detail.aspx?id=16E10. UCLA has a good course on the fundamentals of college counseling that is offered online that many people have taken who don't have other training and don't come from a university admissions background. Hopefully your school with have PD for you to do some of these types of things.

A good Facebook group to join is the IACAC group, though it's closed so you'll nee to reach out and ask to join. Lots of people with good advice and who are willing to be helpful. This would probably be the most immediate thing to join unless you can attend one of places you can train above.

Another part of the work you will be doing is academic advising, so how you should advise students as they progress in your school through the grades and/or what students transitioning in and out of your school should/can take for classes. Often you need to take into consideration a student's plans for university along with what the student can be successful doing.

I would say that most school counseling programs don't deal with this part of the job. While I would say it's not a bad idea to get your school counseling credential as later on there may be countries or schools where you would need it, I wouldn't say I would prioritize it.

Hopefully you will be working with another school counselor this year that can help you and show you what the program has been like before.

Don't bother with SPED, ESOL, Social Studies certification if you want to be a school counselor. I'm not sure what subject you'd be an IB examiner in, but I'd prioritize shoring up your knowledge needed for school counseling. Experienced school counselors are very marketable.

Good luck.
Midori4040

Post by Midori4040 »

@eion_padraig

THANK YOU for that incredibly useful and thoughtful post. I will follow each of your suggestions. Just fantastic.

It appears that I will have a lot of latitude to develop this role into however big I allow it to get. This is why it is so essential and important to me that I am studied up on the latest tools and advancements in school/college & career counseling.

I know mental health counseling, psych and crisis intervention inside and out, but that doesn't necessarily translate to knowing the best way to prepare a student for college admissions.

As an aside, do you or does anyone else have any suggestions on how I might be able to work towards US state certification in school counseling while abroad? I'm a state of Florida resident.

Thank you again. I am so grateful for the time you took to be so helpful.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I got bumped offline while trying to respond and when I check back eion_p had responded with much of what I planned on saying.

Firstly, congrats on getting a counselor position. That definitely moves up/changes/targets your plans to a significant degree.

It's wonderful and laudable that you want to expand and improve your skills and knowledge as a counselor (and your CV) but you will need to be a bit careful in your new position. I agree that networking can be a great way to expand your horizons but volunteering at another int'l school might be a step too far. Job sharing and possibly job shadowing might be possible through conferences, associations etc. Eion_p mentioned some great resources. If you were in Asia I would also recommend EARCOS as they would be a great resource. If you could get to an event of theirs on a vacation I would still suggest it:
https://www.earcos.org/

As for expanding your knowledge of SPED type issues in int'l schools I would also check out Next Frontiers: http://www.nextfrontierinclusion.org/

Honestly if you want to improve your CV by increasing your experience with an additional counseling skill(s) then the best thing you can do is research current best practices in that area and then find ways to implement some of them on a modest scale (at first) in your new school. The best thing that you can put on a CV is experience of actually doing something and if you can honestly say that you successfully did so (even on a modest scale or only on a couple of occasions) then it is up to you to positively support/spin it to your benefit.

I do think that getting certified by a state in your chosen field is important. If Florida won't accept your past experience then look into finding a mentor of sorts in a neighboring school (if your new school won't have one) and look into getting those 3 hours that way. If Florida is out then keep looking. Some state must have a pathway for you. If I hear of anything, I will pass it on.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

So credentials are a bit pain. Once you get one, you want to make sure you can renew it as you live overseas.

So I have a few thoughts on getting those hours.

One way may be to volunteer during the summer back at a year-round school and see about getting those 3 credits of supervision that way. You sort of need to find a university with a MA in school counseling program that would allow you to take the class. You might find it harder to do this outside of the US.

Maybe your school has a US credentialed school counselor who would be willing to do this supervision. I heard of a counselor finishing up her program under the supervision of one of her credentialed colleagues. Her program is an online school counseling program at one of the state universities in Alabama.

You may find it easier to check on other US states requirements for school counseling to see if any will take your current experience

Eion
Midori4040

Post by Midori4040 »

Thank you @eion_padraig AND @wrldtrvlr123 for the invaluable suggestions.

I will follow your ideas with enthusiasm! I am so proud and humbled that I have achieved this position and I want to be as useful as possible to my students, faculty and parents.

I will snoop around and investigate ways I can get licensed in the States while overseas. I think it's going to be a challenge. But, I'm up for the task. The best case scenario is that the Florida DOE takes a letter from my practicum supervisor stating I have at least 100 hours of supervised experience with children. That's the best case. Then I can sit for the Guidance and Counseling examination in Florida.

Otherwise, I do know that the University of South Florida has a Graduate Certificate in School Counseling, but it's 10 grand. :-(

There has to be a way! I will find it!

Thank you all for weighing in and for the congratulations. I am SO excited.
senator

Post by senator »

Congratulations,

The counselor position at most international schools - and ALL domestic schools - is pretty much a do nothing job that will allow you to spend most of your day planning/preparing for the next position that you want.

Take online courses and apply for any and all PD opportunities that come your way - it won't be as if you will actually be missed during these days you are not at "work".

As a counselor-type, you already are an expert schmoozer and know how to play the political game of keeping bosses/parents/students happy, so I have no doubt that you will one day be doing the same at a higher tier school. Just don't ever believe that you are actually an educator - you are admin, and that is how the teachers will regard you, no matter how friendly they are to your face. Of course, as a counselor, you will also be friendly to teachers and then stab them in the back at every opportunity.

Now, if you are one of the few counselors who actually works and contributes to the educational equation, please ignore everything I've written.

I did work with a great counselor once, in...1985, I think it was.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dear oh dear, Senator Ted. Just because The Donald duffed you up in the Primaries doesn’t mean that you, too, should become a blowhard slogan-spouter.
For those unfamiliar with Ted’s previous utterances, this is a flavor of his contributions:

“That is yet another one of the reasons I left international education: too many prima dona (sic) "rock stars" who wilted like lillies (sic) in the rain when they had to actually deal with a student who did not love school.”

“I guess being a real teacher - that is a teacher who is successful in public and private schools - requires a toughness and self-reliance that most purely international educators just don't possess.”

"A jump from teaching to admin, in any school whether international or domestic, first requires the applicant to drop twenty or thirty IQ points and lose all semblance of honesty, integrity, courage, and creativity."

Followed only last month by:

“I have decided that, after my retirement next year, I am going back overseas to teach.”

To characterize school counselors as work-shy, ineffectual do-nothings is even more stupid than your earlier comments. For the record, the counselors in the school where I am do tremendous work in supporting students, parents and colleagues. But you’d never know that, because with your antediluvian attitudes you’ll never get a job in a decent school.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

"The counselor position at most international schools - and ALL domestic schools - is pretty much a do nothing job that will allow you to spend most of your day planning/preparing for the next position that you want."

My experiences are completely different than Senator and much more in line with Walter. Most of the counselors with whom I've worked internationally have quite a lot to manage and usually fill many roles that can be fluid from year to year depending on the needs of the school. They usually get paid on a regular teaching salary scale, with perhaps a few days extra for additional days worked at the beginning and/or end of the year. Although they are not usually considered administration, I would say that administrators often rely on counselors as important resources in most school and as a result some teachers consider them "admin." Quality counselors are usually in great demand and tend to get hired early in the recruiting season.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

OP, @Senator did point out one of the challenges of the job, which is dealing with the occasional ridiculous faculty member. Thankfully, most of my colleagues have been thoughtful and student-centered, but there are some people you have to deal with who are fairly self-centered and generally oblivious to others around them. The hard part is when students come to you with a concern about a teacher that you discover is totally legitimate and how you advise the student and how you work to mediate problems when the adult is the unreasonable one.

Depending on the school you may be able to advise on administration decisions on par with heads of department or you may be told of decisions at the exact same time as the teachers.

Summer time probably doesn't mean you're not working, but you may just be working less. Along with our school's IB coordinator, I'm currently working on helping students who missed their IB and the fun of Korean university applications.

Yeah in this case I agree with Walter. Senator is another one along with the SighGuy who you can put on your ignore list and the quality of discussion improves considerably. Amazing that he's planning on going overseas again.

Eion
interteach

Post by interteach »

Sorry Senator but you're dead wrong. Most of the counselors I've worked with have a lot of job and are very busy. Especially true in non Western countries where social support services are in a different language or don't exist. I've seen them with some pretty hairy situations with kids that I wouldn't want to get near.

That you don't know any good counselors says more about you than the counselors, but I'm sure you're still special to them. I bet they could find a good home for your behavior somewhere in the DSM.