Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

muguet

Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

Post by muguet »

Does anyone have good suggestions for apps that can be used to look up words or phrases one might encounter on a sign or on a product that aren't written using the Roman alphabet? I would think that by now someone has probably come up with something where you could take a picture of the word to get a translation to English, but I haven't ever used anything like that and doubt that it would be very accurate. I'm thinking of instances like trying to navigate the dry goods section of a grocery store when you have little to no idea what the boxes or jars say. And even if you buy something and want to look up the name or ingredients after the fact, are there any easy ways to look up translations when you can't type in the word in the first place?
IAMBOG

Re: Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

Post by IAMBOG »

In China you can use Pleco. Great app.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

The google app is pretty good. Some languages have better support than others. Spanish and some others have real time translation when you look at the text through the camera. Japanese you have to take a picture and then it will translate the characters. The translation is generally pretty good or at least enough for shopping etc.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I can't get Google apps to work in China, which is a shame, because the Chinese translator works great outisde China.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Google Translate, its offers augmented reality translation, and you can download the language to your device in advance, reducing translation time and network/mobile data access and use.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

For China you can use Baidu Translate. It works just like Google Translate and so far it has been just as good for me. And it works in China.