Middle East Beaches

Dredge

Middle East Beaches

Post by Dredge »

Marhaba!

I am wondering if any of the teachers in the Middle East can elaborate on the beach situation. Often, I see that the draw to go so some of the Gulf States, etc., is that they have immaculate beaches. I read this in the reviews of the schools in these locations and on the varying recruiting sites. However, when I google these absolutely beautiful beaches, one thing is clear. There are hardly any pictures with more than two or three people at the beach, and if so, they may even be fully clothed. So, my questions is, why? Yes, I am exaggerating, but are people, including westerners, afraid to go to the beach.

Obviously, the conservatism of the region, hot hot hot summer temperatures, etc., do not lend the Middle East to be a beach goers paradise, but then why do people talk about them so much?

Somebody please prove me wrong.
MamfeMan

Re: Middle East Beaches

Post by MamfeMan »

I have a friend who works in Abu Dhabi and she goes kite-surfing almost everyday after school. So there's that, I suppose.
sid

Post by sid »

There are many different types of beaches in the ME. Fancy private hotel beaches will cost a lot to get in, more for food and drink, but are very nice once in and girls can wear bikinis.
Public beaches near town can run the gamut, but the ground tends to be less than ideal - fancy places bring in nice white sand. And it can be squishy as you're wading out. You might be wading out for a long time. The ME tends to very shallow water. Again, fancy places excavate so you can swim easier. And in public beaches, ladies will need to be more discreet, so matronly swimsuits. Depending on where you are, perhaps even shorts and t shirt for both men and women.
Outside of town, there can be very picturesque places with few people. Usually you need a 4wd car to get there.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @sid, the main difference is that the bikini type beaches are all private and you cant take pictures there so they dont make it online. On the public beaches its much, much more modest. Many locals would prefer a private pool to a beach.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

The beaches also might appear empty because, for many months out of the year, it's ridiculously hot. You'd think that would make the beaches appealing, but it's so hot that the water feels like swimming in a warm bath. It's neither refreshing nor cooling. During the summer, it's more enjoyable to go to a high-end hotel pool that is temperature controlled and cool.
rudolph

Post by rudolph »

Dubai has over 15 km of beautiful beaches, free of charge. They have all seen and continue to see extensive grooming done in the past few years with a wide variety of facilities (showers, changing rooms, bathrooms, food stalls, exercise equipment, etc.) and clientele. Dubai is a top tourist destination for Europeans in the winter, and they come for the beaches, and they certainly don't wear local dress to tan in. One does not need to go to a hotel or paying beach to wear skimpy swim wear - just ask the Russian tourists! People swim, kayak, paddle board, and use the space as they would anyplace in the world. There are also beaches where nominal fees are charged that offer grills and tables for picnics, extensive playground equipment and fields for athletics, volleyball courts, etc. However, much of this can also be found at the other beaches. The largest paid beach in the city was actually removed for a construction project that will have a - going into the downtown area; the remaining area is being developed into part of the continuous free beach area. In short, if you like going to the beach, Dubai is pretty perfect for it.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Never went to a private beach when I was living in Muscat, but Qurm beach is quite lively with footballers every afternoon, women sunbathing in bikinis, families (on weekends) grilling and picknicking, people jogging and walking, me--walking and birding along the corniche. Majan beach is very small, so no jogging or walking, but divine swimming and snorkeling just ten minutes from my apartment. Those were the days...

Each country has a different level of tolerance. Don't let the ME-hater paint the region in broad strokes.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

I have to concur. The beaches in Oman are beautiful. Lovely white sand, not very rocky, and most are in coves so surrounded by fascinating rock outcroppings.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Excellent! Thanks for the first hand knowledge, folks. As I am trying to convince (I believe I have) my wife into a possible move to the ME, one of her contingencies is beach time. Can't blame her.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i can only speak to abu dhabi and dubai but i can tell you the beaches are pretty awesome if you can take the heat.

there are family beaches and public beaches. basically, unless you're a couple you can't really get in to the family beaches. you'll see single dudes getting kicked out by the lifeguards. the public beaches are open for everybody. if you're on the public beach, be prepared to be ogled openly. if you're on the family beach, prepare to be ogled secretly. you can pretty much wear anything in terms of bikini or bathing suits, but some of the locals and more conservative residents have reacted negatively to thongs and string bikinis.

the best situation i ever had was having a friend with a boat. we just went out to an island and camped, drank, chilled out. it was great.

good luck!

v.
AmberG

Post by AmberG »

Egypt has fantastic beaches. The Sinai is beautiful... Ras Mohamed National Park by Sharm El Sheikh is amazing and has some of the best snorkeling in the world. So does Marsa Alam and Al Quesir. That's the one thing I love most about Egypt- beaches. I have been hoping to visit Oman as I also heard they have great beaches.
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

I used to go to the beach all the time when I lived in Dubai. Now I live right on the Mediterranean and I spend way less time at the beach because it is too cold for me to enjoy swimming for much of the year. In the Emirates you get 6-7 months of excellent beach weather. During the hottest months you will be on summer vacation or busy settling into or out of a school year anyway. Beaches in Oman are just amazing.