Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

Helen Back

Re: Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

Post by Helen Back »

Is writing, "no idea about the salary" commenting on the salary?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Helen Back

No, but " I understand ____ pays ok" is commenting about a specific ISs salary.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I think this is a great topic. I currently live in a big city, but would love to live somewhere that leant itself to a more active lifestyle.

A couple of thoughts on earlier comments in this thread. Last year, I talked to a husband and wife team who work in the PNG mining school that was mentioned earlier. i could comment on the school and package, but instead I'll direct my comments towards life in PNG. It's very isolated and can be dangerous. Deadly snakes in the low lands, dangerous and unpredictable local tribes, etc. They have a highland and lowland campus and fly between them in a helicopter because the road is too dangerous.

Brent actually has three campuses. The one in Baguio would be considered the most remote.

Some other schools I would put on the list would be:
Discovery Bay intl school in Hong Kong
Zurich intl sch high school campus.
Anglo American sch Sofia
St. John's intl sch Belgium
A number of Swiss boarding schools
There is an intl school in Mauritius
Public Schools in Alaska, and parts of the west.
coughingfurballs

Post by coughingfurballs »

There are tiny, rural-ish schools that are there to serve the families of a foreign company with a branch in that location. Some of them pay very, very well. Other tiny, rural schools really are just host country private schools. Do your research on this.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

PG and Helen Back - pays OK is a relative statement. OK to someone might mean 15K a year, but to someone else 45K a year. I don't think they would censure you for that. But "pays between 15 and 45K a year" would get your thread locked or pulled.

Just my opinion, because OK is not knowable.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

"okay" isnt great, there are many ISs that would be upset at anything referencing their IS that wasnt perceived as being anything but great.
Lagringa

Post by Lagringa »

Yes, I would add International School Eastern Seaboard in Thailand to the list. It's on a golf course, 25 km from Pattaya, quite rural.
Others I know of in smaller cities; Brent in Subic bay.
IS of Ulan Bataar, Mongolia
ISS Stavanger, Norway
Also consider QSI schools, many are in smaller cities in fairly obscure places (Moldova, Montenegro, etc.)