Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

BubbaJones

Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

Post by BubbaJones »

I've been teaching internationally for about 14 years now, and most of that time has been spent in large, crowded, east-Asian mega cities. While this is all good for the conveniences of a big city and all that entails, I'm a country boy at heart, and for my next move would be interested in somewhere a little less urban.

Do any of you know any schools that fit this bill - reasonable package, sensible school admin, savings potential, and rural location ?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not really, once you move out of the major cities your looking at ISs that are host national independent/private ISs that are almost exclusively local students and local ownership (with some kind of local representation on the leadership team). The packages will be lower because the cost of living on the economy will be lower (though you will eat up any cost difference in getting to an actual city on the weekends). The further out you go the more the IE opportunities resembles the regional/local DE system. ISs that want to pursue an international market need to be where the students are meaning they need to be where the parents are who need to be where the coin is.
There are some exceptions but theyre mainly exclusive WE boarding ISs and theyre still in the WE. The other exceptions are company ISs in compounds, such as Indonesia (in Asia) or military ISs at remote bases.
Teach1010

Re: Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

Post by Teach1010 »

I'm interested in a similar type of school and have found a few that I consider good options. I have no inside knowledge about any of them, but I have done a lot of research reading reviews, comments, etc. I don't want to get in trouble for mentioning any schools by name, but I have found schools in Jordan, Oman, and the Philippines that I believe would fit your criteria.
sid

Post by sid »

ISS runs some very small schools in offfbeat locations, generally to serve a very specific population, like a mining facility in the back of beyond. You could check those out. Be prepared to take on multiple roles. I've heard the packages are decent, but I don't actually know any details about how true that is.
sid

Post by sid »

ISS runs some very small schools in offfbeat locations, generally to serve a very specific population, like a mining facility in the back of beyond. You could check those out. Be prepared to take on multiple roles. I've heard the packages are decent, but I don't actually know any details about how true that is.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Sometimes schools are in a more suburban setting or on the edge of a city. IS Amsterdam is not really in Amsterdam, for example, but the city is easily accessible. Same with Bavarian IS in Munich (a bit further out than IS Amsterdam). I don't know about ACS (Cobham, Egham, Hillingdon). IS Ulaanbataar might work, or you could look at schools like IS Suva (Fiji). Smaller cities that are fairly isolated might be what you want. What about Stavanger or Aarhus, for example? I would imagine a number of schools in Africa could offer what you are looking for--Gaborone or Bishop Mackenzie maybe?

It really depends on how you define rural and what other factors are in play. Are you looking to own livestock or just not wanting a mega-city? What about cost of living, ease of access, housing, package, school amenities, other services? Do you want a truly international school?

Those are all some of the questions that you need to consider. We can't really help you without a bit more information.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

There are a few schools in Europe that are located in suburbs outside the major capital. The best I know of is located in a nice village where it is as small-town and slow-paced as you can get but you're still only 30 minutes from the capital. It's practically surrounded by beautiful forests, the air is fresh, and in the winter it's breath-taking. We're not supposed to name schools but if you want to know where I'm talking about, Arthur Phillips' first novel is the setting (although the title is not the setting).
Last edited by global_nomad on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

You can name schools in this forum. You just can't put review-type information in this non-members area. I think stating that the school is in a suburban or country setting is not even close to a review. Just a bit of objective information.
Teach1010

Post by Teach1010 »

justlooking wrote:
> You can name schools in this forum. You just can't put review-type
> information in this non-members area. I think stating that the school is
> in a suburban or country setting is not even close to a review. Just a bit
> of objective information.

Fair enough.

Al Batinah School in Sohar, Oman - reviews state very specifically that it's in a small, quiet town)
Brent School Manila - Not actually in the city, described as being "far from the pollution of Manila"
King's Academy Jordan - A boarding school that appear appears to be in the middle of the desert

The school on Kwaj in the Marshall Islands is another possibility.
BubbaJones

Post by BubbaJones »

[quote]It really depends on how you define rural and what other factors are in play. Are you looking to own livestock or just not wanting a mega-city? What about cost of living, ease of access, housing, package, school amenities, other services? Do you want a truly international school?

Those are all some of the questions that you need to consider. We can't really help you without a bit more information.[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies and useful suggestions people and apologies for not being a bit clearer in my first post. I suppose by rural I mean somewhere where you aren't really in the middle of an enormous city; somewhere that has easy access to nature, whether than be forests, or jungles, or mountains or whatever. It could be somewhere that's close to some kind of urban center, and having the best of both worlds - stunning countryside coupled with readily accessible culture, food, and nightlife - would be ideal.

Obviously a low cost of living with a high salary would be nice. ;)

Other than that I'm fairly open to suggestions - not too bothered about housing as long as I can keep it at a livable temperature; amenities ... affordable and reliable internet and mobile phone networks are always good; a 'truly international school' - as long as the school takes itself seriously, and is run competently, I'm not too worried about this.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

We're moving to somewhere that might be considered rural, although it is within 45 minute driving distance of a major city. We're a family and the idea of having a house and a barbecue and a paddling pool for the kids is becoming stronger. We're fed up with aprtment living. The desire to be near bars and malls is no longer a priority. Looking forward to it.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@IAMBOG - Of course the question is now where are you going?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Be aware that there are two Brent schools - one in or very close to Manila, and one outside Manila. Don't confuse the two LOL
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Have you thought about Chiang Mai? I understand Prem pays ok. South of Bangkok too, I can think of four schools, one being US curriculum in some form (International School of the Eastern Seaboard). No idea about the salary. Rural enough to be peaceful, close enough to cities to be convenient.
PsyGuy

Moderation

Post by PsyGuy »

@Helen Back

Commenting on an ISs salary may be considered review and evaluation type information, which is not permitted in the public forum.