Looking for Feedback

nomcommun

Looking for Feedback

Post by nomcommun »

Hi, I'm new here and, like many, I would like some feedback. Sorry this is long, but I tried to include all factors that seemed relevant

About me:

35, born and raised in Switzerland (until age 16), U.S. citizenship, completed grades 10-12 in NY state

Black

Divorced single mother. One child: he is mixed and is bilingual French/English. Will be starting K Fall '18

12 years secondary teaching exp. (worked as an ESOL para before that)

B.A: French and English. MEd in Global and Comparative Ed

FL Professional Certificate: French K-12, English 6-12, ESOL K-12, Reading Endorsement, Gifted Endorsement

Currently teaching Journalism, 8th grade ELA, 9th grade ELA at a public magnet for the arts. French on Saturdays at the Alliance Française. Taught 7th and 8th Grade ELA, Intensive Reading, and Freshman English to accelerated 8th grades at my previous school. I also taught Virtual School part time for about 4 years (quit in January)

Experience creating the district curriculum map for ELA to align with Common Core and delivering PD on the curriculum maps to teachers in the school district during pre-planning

My principal is sending me to AP training this summer, so I should be teaching at least one AP class during the 2017-2018 school year

Recognized by the state for being among the teachers with the most statistically significant student growth values on our standardized test (based on data for the last 3 years)

A couple poems of mine are slated to be professionally published in the next couple months.

This is my plan:
remainder of this academic year: continue researching schools, complete French PD, start gathering items for portfolio
2016-2017 school year: Finalize list of schools, renew teaching license, start collecting references
2017-2018 school year: join a search agency, apply to schools, attend fair (?)
Fall 2018: Hopefully start IT career

I am interested in working in Senegal, Burkina Faso, Morocco or Kenya (though I would consider some other areas) for maybe 3-4 years, and possibly move on after that, maybe to Europe. A truly international school is important to me (due to my son), the area should be reasonably safe, and I would like to be able to save some money, but am not looking to get rich. Nightlife is not important to me, nor is easy access to Western convenience foods. I'm not looking to hop from school to school often.

I am asking for any critique, advice, suggestions, etc. I know I have some big factors working against me, so all input is welcome. Thanks in advance.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Looking for Feedback

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Welcome.

I would say that you are a strong candidate and will be even stronger by the time you are actively applying for schools. You will probably hear that English and French are not the golden ticket areas that Math/Science etc are and that MS experience/certification is not as valuable/desirable as Secondary. All of which is true but really beside the point for you.

Schools will always be recruiting for MS teachers and many schools will give you the opportunity to teach Secondary with your background. Journalism, reading and gifted are all nice add ons and will give potential employers a feeling that you can fill some holes in a timetable. AP training/experience will also help with US curriculum schools.

The added thing you have going for you is that the areas you are interested for your first posting are not really highly desirable and the schools there generally do not have their pick of candidates that schools in places like Europe, Thailand, Singapore, Tokyo do. I would say that depending on the opening that year, you should have an excellent chance of garnering interest from some quality schools in those countries (and some others besides). After that it is up to you to sell yourself as a good fit for that location/school.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

Thank you very much for the welcome and your feedback.

I have a question. Do ISs consider 9th grade middle school? It's part of HS here (the school where I work now is grades 6 -12). In any case, my Journalism class is for 9th and 10th grade. My certifications cover all of secondary as well. I do plan on sticking to US curriculum schools to make things easier for my son if he wants to return here.
rake

Post by rake »

Grade 9 is generally HS.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with many aspects of @WT123, my main disagreement is the marketability:

To begin with you have some logistical factors against you: 1) one you are a single parent, this means you dont have the potential utility of being a teaching couple. It gives you a 1:1 travel ratio which is acceptable in IE, but there is some stigma of single parents too leadership: First,It means as an IT if there are any problems with your child there isnt a second parent to do all the things such as medical appointments, or who stays home with your child when they are sick (especially at that age), if they have the flu, your going to be absent. Second, they dont know what drama you will have from your ex spouse. It could be nothing it could be something, it could be a lot.

2) You are a minority and black at that. This isnt hate speech but their is a huge, predominate demographic of Caucasians in IE. Parents want to see white faces in classrooms, thats what they believe is a factor in "western education", thats what it is. Discrimination is very alive in many parts of the world. Even the regions you are focusing on that are predominately non-white cultures those ISs that arent the embassy IS are marketing to a local population that wants to see Caucasians in the classroom.
No one in IE will ever speak of this to you, its not hard though go to a fair, and you will really feel like a minority.

Movieing on to the Professional Metrics,
This is the PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:

PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:
1) 1 pt / 2 years Experience (Max 10 Years)
2) 1 pt - Advance Degree (Masters)
3) 1 pt - Cross Certified (Must be schedule-able)
4) 1 pt - Curriculum Experience (IB, AP, IGCSE)
5) 1pt - Logistical Hire (Single +.5 pt, Couple +1 pt)
6) .5 pt - Previous International School Experience (standard 2 year contract)
7) .5 pt - Leadership Experience/Role (+.25 HOD, +.5 Coordinator)
8) .5 pt - Extra Curricular (Must be schedule-able)
9) .25 pt - Special Populations (Must be qualified)
10) .25 pt - Special Skill Set (Must be documentable AND marketable)

IT CLASSES:
1) INTERN ITs have a score around 0
2) ENTRY ITs have a score around 2
3) CAREER ITs have a score around 4
4) PROFESSIONAL ITs have a score around 6
5) MASTER ITs have a score around 8

Your a very strong 6/6.25 on the base metrics (5 for experience and 1 for the Masters degree). You have some potential as a logistical hire assuming you get an EU passport, otherwise your dependent child makes that category a wash. You have G&T which is a special population but ISs dont generally have G&T designated courses, every parent would want their child in those programs, its best to just think that students in ISs are all G&T, which would indicate to a recruiter that you can work with the population of students that are typical IE students, but you also have ESOL so 6.25.
You dont have cross curriculum experience, leadership, or prior IE experience, and none of your accomplishments are particularly marketable. Everyone does ASPs and you could do a poetry club.
So your between career and professional IT marketability (strong career, weak professional class).

One of the major problems is as @WT123 identified you are either a very inexperienced French DT or only a lower secondary Literature DT. The expectation is that an IT in secondary can do all secondary, even if they arent originally assigned to those years. This becomes increasingly important as the size of an IS becomes smaller. Your French FL experience is primarily ASP and essentially you dont have any. This is less important at lower years, but becomes an issue at school leaving levels, where your students are as close to fluency as you are, and the academic requirements at school leaving level require a lot of organization and preparation. Its not just building vocabulary, its hitting the marks so your students can get a score that 1) exempts or grants credit for them in French, but 2) and more importantly would allow them to study at a tertiary institute in French. Lower tier ISs in WE may find you marketable as a French FL IT, essentially because they need someone and your whats available. There are other far better options for your French abilities.

Journalism is a nice elective and very large upper tier ISs occasionally offer it, it could be integrated into LA in DIP/A levels/AP, but the focus at school leaving level in A levels, IGCSE, AP, DIP is essentially focused almost exclusively on literature and essay writing. Reporting/Journalism just isnt a priority. Youve taught Lower secondary literature and language thats what they are going to focus on as the center of your marketability.

Your testing accomplishments arent particularly valuable (exam performance is important for school leaving level, but not particularly valuable at lower secondary). Your publications are nice, but a couple of poems is well a couple of poems, if you were a Poet Laureate, that would have marketability. Your curriculum experience and common core is nice, but every IT has curriculum experience within their IS, its just an expectation. The providing PD on CC mapping is just a power point presentation. If you have Atlas experience in curriculum mapping which you may have that has marketability. AP training isnt worth much, the standard is successful AP experience, that has utility.

Moving on to your plan...

2018, you sure you dont want to start earlier?

1) The areas you are focused on, excluding Europe, and especially Morocco would hire you very quickly and easily. Literally these locations will drool for an IT such as yourself. You dont need a premium agency. A resume and a reference letter or two and youre in. Some of these locations recruit year tound and have year round vacancies.
Add the ME and China (Vietnam, Myanmar, etc..) to your list and you can have an appointment in 2016, that will allow you to save some coin, significant coin in the ME.

2) You cant finalize your list of ISs the year in advance. Your mostly focused on upper tier ISs, and when it comes to elite tier ISs, those ISs can skip a year without needing to recruit. Each recruiting year and cycle is different and tends to moves in waves (up one year, down the next, has to do with the majority of IE contracts being 2 years)

3) Your focused on ASs, this means either third tier ISs that dont have a curriculum and decided (maybe they flipped a coin) and decided on American, then someone in leadership downloaded the standards for CC,a nd claimed they were an AS. The ISs leadership will expect students will read, discuss and write about classic works of literature. Beyond that you can do what you want.
The other ASs are going to be the first/elite tier ASs that are typically refereed to as the embassy ASs, its possible you could win the lottery and get a lower secondary appointment. The sooner you start this however the better, as you want to be a known in the recruiting arena. This requires building a network now, not perfecting the paperwork.

Suggestions...

1) I would strongly suggest you obtain your Swiss citizenship and procure an EU passport, this is more important to your marketability than anything else you could conceivably do in the next year if you have goals of working in WE.

2) I would strongly advise the option that you set aside the English based IE system. You are a native french speaker (regardless what the League of PsyGuy nemesis thinks, they are wrong) but your a marketable candidate for the French Lycee system which has hundreds of FSs in over 100 countries. This is a little discussed area of IE, as the vast majority of ITs are limited to English ISs. You however are not. Some of the Lycees are very small and some rival English ISs. With Literature you would be a very marketable and valuable candidate to FSs.

3) As a lower secondary IT in many ISs core subjects are typically paired. These pairings are Maths/Science and English/Social Studies (Humanities). Adding a the Social Studies 6-12 would be highly advised. In addition adding Exceptional Student Education K-12 would round out your special populations area of qualification. Many ISs do not have SPED programs, but they have students who although undocumented, or undisclosed have mild LS needs, this would increase your marketability.
You may also consider adding Humanities K-12.

4) If pursuing upper secondary and school leaving levels and your plan is 2 years I would start to look into IB. Much of the second tier is composed of IB ISs. While no amount of training equals any amount of experience, you should explore what you can do. Maybe your district has an IB program and you could teach even one course of DIP that would have significant utility. This is one of my motivations that you start now. ISs in the regions you are looking at have IB ISs, and getting into one of those now, is far more valuable than anything you will do in your current DS, even AP. The IBO is growing and more and more ASs are adapting IB programs and moving away from AP. So while the curriculum and standards are very congruent across A levels/DIP/AP, getting classroom experience is king.

Aside from that, consider adding Drama/Theater as many smaller ISs integrate Literature and Drama.

I disagree with @rake, In ASs 9th grade is typically high school this is only really true in ASs. Year 9 is Junior school in the BSs (NC KS3), Lycee, Gymnasium, etc.. in the European system. In the IB its part of the MYP which includes years 6-10. Even in Asia such as Japan year 9 in JHS (Junior High School).
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response.

A few things:

1. 2018 is so that I have time to teach at least 1 year of AP Lit (and hopefully have my students score high). I am also getting a court order that will help address concerns about ex-drama (I haven't heard from him in years, so no drama actually)
2. Not at all offended about your comments regarding discrimination. It's one of the reasons that led me not to include schools in Asia on my list (that and a tendency to get bronchitis). Most of the schools currently on my list have at least some black teachers on their faculty page. I actually originally considered Budapest (had a lovely time there once), but although they have 2 Black teachers, in this case the student body looked very White. Also, wouldn't my race and my marital status be big negatives in the ME?
3. IB is not a possibility for me; my district is moving away from it due to strong anti-IB sentiment in the area, so there are very few spots.
4. Regarding the Lycées, wouldn't my complete lack of experience with the French education system be an even bigger factor against me?
5. A Swiss citizenship isn't an option as my parents aren't Swiss.
6. I was head of the ELA Dept at my old school, and I designed and coordinate the new teacher induction program at my current one. If I can get my boss to give me a title for the new teacher program, can this be included as leadership?
7. I should be able to pass the tests for Humanities and Drama. SPED would require some extra coursework I think. FL now requires that we all take several new ESE PD to renew, so I'm sure that an actual SPED cert would have requirements above and beyond that.
8. Would web and/or graphic design count as a special skill set? Because I am the advisor to the Literary Magazine (and my current school is an Arts magnet), my boss has asked if I would consider getting some industry training in that area.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@nomcommun

1) 1 year of AP, compared to entering IE earlier and building IB experience. The AP isnt worth it, you dont know how well your students are going to do, and as a first year AP DT who hasnt taught upper secondary, your performance isnt going to be remarkable (no offense, just siding with the statistics).

2) Well they would be negatives, BUT the ME is one of the largest hardship locations, if an IS is desperate they will make it work. There are also huge differences within the ME, working in the UAE is not like the Kingdom.

3) You dont have a lack of experience with the French system, you were educated in the Swiss system to age 16, they are pretty close, and really at upper secondary level, the difference is language of instruction. At most your Cannon will be heavier on French and European works that are less English centric. Beyond that good writing is good writing. Best practices are still best practices. If you can adopt to a foreign IS you can adopt to a foreign FS.

4) I would look into the Swiss citizenship laws, you might have acquired citizenship based on time. Its worth it, it really, really is. Even if you have to spend a couple hundred on an immigration lawyer.

5) Yes if they can give you a title and your HOS/Principal will confirm that in the reference letter. You can give yourself another quarter point. Many small and medium ISs dont really have designated HODs, they have a senior IT or lead IT or just the IT that does those things.

6) FL doesnt require coursework to add an endorsement, you can take the FTCE exam and add SPED.

7) Do you want to present yourself as a Design Technology IT, if so and you have the qualifications/credentials/experience, than thats an option. As a special skill set it would depend on the ISs needs if they need someone to do that and they have the equipment sure it would be added utility. Most ISs either have a dedicated Design Tech IT however or the are going to publish the literary magazine digitally or send it out for printing. In other ISs that dont have a design technology IT the art IT is going to do anything in graphic arts. The ICT IT is going to do anything in web design. Sorry, ELA ITs teach literature almost exclusively.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

1) I see your point. However, being at a magnet, my school population makes it more likely that the kids will do well nonetheless. (I'm basing this on our record regardless of who taught the course). Besides, I really want that court document to allay any ex-drama concerns schools may have.
2)I have to be cautious about desperate schools as my son would be attending. I will look a bit more into Abu Dhabi as one of my friends' mom and sister both work there and keep trying to convince me to go. Any other place in the ME I should look at?
3) The systems are fairly different with CH having different systems by canton. I will look for some FSs that may be a good fit though.
4) I'll look into it. I thought I was out of eligibility by now, but it's well worth checking.
5) Good to know. Thanks.
6) Oh, that's changed since my last renewal. Great.
7) I love Literature (which is increasingly disappearing here), so that's not a problem for me.

You've given me great things to consider. Thanks again.
Last edited by nomcommun on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

Aside from some Asian countries its not so much that your race is an issue as much as there just isn't a large pool of Blacks or minorities representing in international schools period. Its mainly the TEFL market that posts jobs for 'white skin' only, and those aren't the jobs you're looking for anyways.

There's a few groups on Facebook with many minority teachers, school heads, and counselors throughout China, ME, CA, SA and Europe. First join the group "Black Americans Teaching Abroad." Post your questions there. The group is way more encouraging, supportive, and will be more helpful than any response you'll get here. Also there's job postings that pop up frequently in the network alone.

And about being a single mother...;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tenille-l ... 90560.html
Walter

Post by Walter »

Reluctant as always to disagree with the fount of all international school wisdom, I have to tell you please don't pay attention to the so-called Psyguy Scoring System, which no recruiter has ever heard of or used. Nor should you be tempted by any siren calls to the lycee system. French state education is dire and the overseas lycee system is simply a French school abroad. And I'm not black so I can't truly judge how much racism you would encounter at a large fair, but my suspicion is not much at all. I don't believe any decent school would even think twice about the color of your skin. We have teachers with all variations of skin colors in my school, and there are many schools like this. As for being a single mother, a few schools may be hesitant, but the fact that you have only one child should mean that, if you impress in the interview, you'll be fine.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

@peachestotulips:

Thank you so much! This definitely helps. I'm going to join the Facebook group now; that's a great tip. The article was great too. Seeing somebody with a situation somewhat similar to mine is encouraging.

@Walter: I read the forum from quite some time before posting anything, so I somewhat knew what to expect from PsyGuy. I actually thought he was pretty tame in his responses. I will more than likely stick to US system schools to make things easier should my son want to return. I think sometimes, prejudice is not always conscious, but I'd hate to spend lots of money on a fair to test out the theory. I'm not ruling out the fairs though. I usually interview well and will definitely work on refining those skills further for the international market. Thanks!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I agree that you should have a decent chance at what you want. Those are often harder to fill jobs simply based on location, and you would fit in well with the embassy schools and top schools in those places. You would be competitive in many schools, actually; your comments on here indicate that you would interview well, and you have a competitive skill set. For example, there are a lot of English/Language Arts teachers out there, but far fewer with journalism (still a lot, but far fewer). Being published also puts you ahead of the pack. If you have AP experience, you may take another step forward for AP schools (maybe even 2 steps) and possibly a half step forward for IB schools, who recognize that there is some carryover in terms of teaching high level, following directions, and teaching toward an exam.

It sounds like you have thought this through. A few thoughts:
--You cannot narrow down your list of schools per se, though of course you can research locations/schools and decide on yes/no or a preferred order/ranking of schools. You are competitive enough that even at the entry level you can consider at least trying for more competitive locations if they interest you.
--I can't speak to the racial component, but it is certain to be more of a factor in places like China where it's all about teaching in English rather than teaching at an international school. It sounds like you got some good advice in terms of where to find that information.
--PsyGuy's scoring system is not exactly scientific, but he does more or less identify the components that make people more competitive. That said, various elements can be overcome or overstated, and he has a tendency to underrate everyone. For example, he did not give you credit for your French because "only experience counts," but in fact it DOES help you because you CAN cover something else. He did the same but in reverse to me. He also overstates the logistical hire piece. You have one child and no other dependents. That isn't as much of a hinderance for most schools (unless it is a problem in the country). Here again PsyGuy likes to cut people down when in fact you are perfectly fine. So take from the scoring metric what you want and focus on reality.
--You keep saying you want American curriculum schools, but your child is quite young. What specifically do you want for him that he won't get in PYP, IPC, etc.? Why limit yourself? Even IB students are able to adapt to the AP curriculum and vice versa, and that isn't until junior or senior year of high school. I would only look to see how well students are emotionally supported and whether there is some sort of structured curriculum/standards in place rather than sticking to American curriculum, whatever that means.
--PsyGuy sure doesn't understand the concept of citizenship and what entitles one to it. It doesn't sound like you would be entitled to Swiss citizenship, and even if you were, would you want to give up your US citizenship to get it? They don't hand out passports like candy in most countries! If you are eligible and can do it, great, but otherwise, focus your energy elsewhere. Tons of teachers get hired on US only, so not having it is no big deal at all.

You sound like you are in good shape. If you can beef up anything else besides AP, go for it! Otherwise I would say good luck and keep us posted!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@nomcommun

More bunk, smoke and mirrors from @walter.

The PsyGuy Applicant System is just that one I use, however Ive seen it adopted by other ISs leadership.
Race: you dont need to attend a fair you can just browse for fair photos online or as you have been doing look at the staff photos for various ISs at their web site, not many minorities. Of course leadership/admin isnt going to admit they discriminate.

FSs: You are a rare applicant, and fully qualified for a FS, its just more smoke and mirrors of @walter. Yes, its a French School Abroad, the American and British DS system is "dire" as well, yest ISs of those systems do rather well so do the French FSs.

In both disagreeing with @Thames Pirate and @Walter as a single parent when your child is sick or out your going to be out, thats just how it works when you dont have a second parent, and thats going to be a factor.

Journalism hust isnt out there, I cant recall a journalism vacancy in years, again its a potential one class elective, the rest is going to be literature. At best you could offer it as an ASP

I disagree with @Thames Pirate, a few poems isnt putting you ahead of anyone, a number of ELA ITs have self published works, recruiters look at them and say thats nice. Unless your a poet laureate or something that can be marketed to parents, its not worth anything in the recruiting metrics.
In addition again disagreeing with @Thames Pirate one year of AP experience and the 5 day workshop raining isnt going to have much utility and not significantly transferable to IB DIP. Get amazing scores and the metrics change and the utility increases, I wouldnt want to take that bet though. There are a lot of IB DIP ITs that are sought after not because they are particularly good in meds/peds or their content but they have really motivated, capable, and well resourced students.

The PsyGuy Applicant metrics isnt a scorecard, its a sorting method for candidates against a specific candidate and vacancy requirements. @Thames Pirate can have as many points as they want, if it makes them feel better. However the forum has a designated unicorn that does the rainbows and pixie dust.

1) Can understand the court drama it moves at its own time.

2) I agree with @Thames Pirate in this instance, whats there to really be afraid of at your childs age level. IB, BS, AS, even a local DS in a foreign country isnt going to ruin your childs academic development.

3) The systems arent very different anymore. The biggest differences are in primary and even there its more scope and sequence than actual competency differences. In secondary there isnt signification curriculum and content variances, its not even significant meds/peds. Most of the differences are in scaling and scope/sequence and they are minor.

4) @Thames Pirate doesnt understand citizenship. You do not have to give up your US citizenship you can have both American and Swiss citizenship and be a dual citizen. It might be a long shot though, still its worth looking into. There are a lot of late spring and summer vacancies in WE ISs that are only really available to those with an EU passport as the IS cant or wont procure a visa and work permit.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

Thanks to you both. I appreciate the different perspectives; after all, there are bound to be different recruiters out there, just as there are many types of principals here.

As far as discrimination, I suppose if I'm not wanted somewhere due to my skin color, I probably wouldn't have a pleasant work experience there anyway.

I'll keep my options open as far as French Schools. I just remember being less than impressed with the French transfers students back when I was in school in Switzerland (and I was in the elite track, so they had to be as well).

Regarding the poems, I was not talking about self-publication, but well-respected literary magazines. I think as a teacher of literature, it at least shows a degree of content mastery. I'm fine not getting extra points though ;)

Based on several years of data and understanding of my school's population, I'm willing to bet on these kids. Besides, I might as well since I need to stay here a while longer.

I do agree that I should consider multiple systems, though I disagree that any old school will do in the early years. These are foundational years. I need for there to be enough quality so that I don't have to pretty much home school him on top of sending him to school. Both of you do make reassuring points about the adaptability between IB/AP.

As for Swiss citizenship, I did double check, and I am no longer eligible. As a note, both the US and Switzerland do allow dual citizenship (though I already have 2; the other just isn't relevant to my plan). I don't have much interest in WE though; I remember life being quite expensive, and according to my friends/family still living there, that has not improved.

All in all, I already read the article and joined the group that was recommended to me, and I borrowed the ESE Cert test guide from our professional library, so it looks like I at least can get started on some things.
I will post any updates as they come. Hopefully the next election results won't sent thousands of Americans flooding the market by the time I'm ready.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dave, Dave, Dave, you’re incorrigible.
Given that only data matters, name for us one recruiter or one school to use your madcap scoring system. (I know you haven’t because you’ve never been a recruiter.)
The British National Curriculum is like the French insofar as it is narrow in focus, overwhelmingly self-referential, over-regulated, over-assessed and prey to the whims of idiot politicians. It scores a little higher only because the French assessment philosophy is even more brutal and the pedagogy is fifty years out of date. Luckily for British Schools abroad, the British Government doesn’t care about them unless they are stupid enough to choose to sign on for OFSTED. Consequently, they have a fair amount of freedom in what they do. The French Government really do care about the lycees abroad, because they subsidize them to a greater or lesser extent and are involved in all kinds of governance and administrative decisions.
I’d like to someone who’s Swiss get an EU passport.

noncommun - if you work in South or Central America, Africa, the Middle East or Asia, you will easily be able to afford home help, so no worries if your child is sick.