Looking for Feedback

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@nomcommun

What are your plans than or the future? Are either of these opportunities appointments you could or would retire out of? If the answer is yes, than the utility of your resume and factors effecting your marketability become moot.

If you can get both AP Lit and French that would have stronger utility than mixed Lit MYP and DIP (which potentially sounds like a higher amount of work in preps).
nomcommun

Re: Looking for Feedback

Post by nomcommun »

@PsyGuy: I am only 37, so not quite ready to be where I'd like to retire yet. I'm thinking maybe one or more appointments after this one would be ideal, with a eye on quality education for my son as he gets older.

I'm far from lazy, but fewer preps would be better for me.

Thanks!
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Prejudice against non-caucasians is rife in schools in the Middle East. Parents paying thousands for an 'international' education for their kids want white faces doing the teaching. School admin support or bow to the racism because they have to keep the parents happy. I worked at one school that once hired a couple of British Indian/Pakistani teachers but parents complained so they were fired. All because of prejudice.

Non-caucasians would have a rough time in many eastern European countries too. Again from my own observations.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

@Nomad, at this point I figure my skin is a liability in many places, but I'll take overt comments over the current liabilities of being who I am in the States.

That said, although I know it reduces my chances, I've only chosen to apply with schools of a certain caliber, checked their sites for people of color and asked around specifically about working there while Black. I'm sure my profile photo also helped some schools screen me out.

In any case, both of the places that are acting like they are close to an offer have a diversity in staff and leadership, so I'll take my chances.
mistyknight

Post by mistyknight »

Do you have a facebook account? There are a few groups on there where Black teachers discuss their experiences. MANY of them are in the Middle East and they have a group specific to that region.
nomcommun

Post by nomcommun »

@mistyknight: I do and I belong to some. A lot of my research was helped by talking to people of color who have worked at schools of interest.