Teaching in Maldives

SonnyCrockett

Teaching in Maldives

Post by SonnyCrockett »

Anybody have any experience of this? I only know people that have been there on vacation!

I've just been offered a job there out of the blue. It includes accommodation, but other than being told it will be on par with the salary for other foreign teachers I don't have any more information about how much that is. My friend reckons it could be on the low side ($5000), but I'm not too sure. I was hoping it would be nearer what's on offer somewhere like the Seychelles.

Am I likely to be able to support a family over there, or is it more of a hardship type position? It's also in the capital, so I have concerns about the availability of beer! (been told it's like Kuwait, apart from the holiday islands). Any help much appreciated.
nikkor

Re: Teaching in Maldives

Post by nikkor »

5000 usd per month - 60K a year seems like it would be pretty good. If you scuba dive, I would seriously consider this offer.
SonnyCrockett

Post by SonnyCrockett »

If it were $5000 a month I'd be flying there now! He reckoned $5000 a year!
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

5000 a year doesn't seem like a livable wage. I would look for a better offer, and save my money for a Maldives vacation.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @nikkor and Id pass, unless you have specific motives for that location.
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

I'd be careful about taking a position in a holiday location (Maldives, Seychelles, Phuket, Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman, etc.). The schools at these places tend to have an "island culture" that creates laziness and unmotivated students, as well as parents who are retirees and millionaires on permanent holiday.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The situation in the Maldives politically is also a little dicey.